Sony Hi-MD Walkman MZ-EH1 Pictorial

Rate this topic

Ishiyoshi

They're not the same amp; the e-10 has the d-amp and the eh-1 has the hd-amp.

I like the button and remote input being on top of a unit rather than the sides or on the back. For that reason alone, I prefer this unit to the rh910. Then there is that remote, it really looks nice now having seen a picture of it displaying information rather than the plastic piece over it with a facsimile of the unit in display mode.

Edited by bland10000

They're not the same amp; the e-10 has the d-amp and the eh-1 has the hd-amp.

The HD Amp employed by the EH1 gives extra warmth over E10's Digital Amp. They are indeed different. However, bwerbrou enquired if there were any differences between the EH1 and NH1.

I like the button and remote input being on top of a unit rather than the sides or on the back.

Likewise. :)

The HD Amp employed by the EH1 gives extra warmth over E10's Digital Amp. They are indeed different. However, bwerbrou enquired if there were any differences between the EH1 and NH1.

Likewise. :)

According to your opinion, which of them looks more classy? In the pictures, the black unit looks more "sophisticated". Thanks for showing your gadgets. It's very illustrative.

According to your opinion, which of them looks more classy? In the pictures, the black unit looks more "sophisticated". Thanks for showing your gadgets. It's very illustrative.

I think they are all classy so to speak; I have no specific preference over the other in terms of design. Nonetheless, here are my impressions for the units discussed within this thread:

NH1 - love its sleek industrial design; just love the way the gold scheme accentuate the brushed magnesium shell.

EH1 - you are quite right, the black scheme with its silver "crescent" does add a touch of sophistication to the unit.

E10 - love its minimalist industrial design; especially its subtle sleek curves.

While we are on the topic of design, I would like to add that such unique designs and utilization of materials is what makes Sony's MD units really "like-no-other."

• 2 weeks later...

exactly how much smaller is it than the nh1/nh3d?

Overall, the EH1 is about 20% smaller than the NH1 - the NH1 is relatively wider and thicker than the EH1; whereas the EH1 is slightly taller than the NH1. If you are interested, please review my MZ-NH1 pictorial for a comparative picture between the NH1 and the EH1. The picture will provide you an idea as to how much smaller the EH1 is compared to the NH1.

That's right ... because I can. :P

Actually, I am a collector of unique gadgets and in addition, I like to have the option to alternate my playback device - in my opinion it helps to lessen usage on just one optical block.

Great photos.

You've also stated a really good technical reason for collecting more players and recorders.

Now if I can just convince my wife ..........

I confess as well... this pictorial persuaded me to order a black EH1... man, he should get a percentage from Sony!

Hope your black EH1 arrives soon. I've been reading your story with interest as I'm contemplating a RH10 in blue or orange from Audiocubes.

Better yet put Ishiyoshi in charge of the whole MD division

Hope your black EH1 arrives soon. I've been reading your story with interest as I'm contemplating a RH10 in blue or orange from Audiocubes.

Better yet put Ishiyoshi in charge of the whole MD division

Cool... while thinking I WASN'T getting my black EH1 after all, I was going to get a second RH10... and I was eyeing the BLUE one :D. Quite appropriate for my name sake too, I might add.

Curious, do those Jap-import RH10's take the same gumsticks? (please don't MOVE my post, it's just a tiny-tiny question!)

Cool... while thinking I WASN'T getting my black EH1 after all, I was going to get a second RH10... and I was eyeing the BLUE one :D. Quite appropriate for my name sake too, I might add.

Curious, do those Jap-import RH10's take the same gumsticks? (please don't MOVE my post, it's just a tiny-tiny question!)

Yes, it does - all MZ-RH10 variant employs the same NiMH battery. If you have other queries pertaining to the blue MZ-RH10, please post them in this thread.

You weren't tempted by a blue DH1 - too hard to come by.

Sometimes that curvey mark on the front of the EH1 looks like a scratch but I suppose that gives it character.

How does the NH1 unit compare to the e10? How do the units' controls compare if one is not using a remote and wants to control the unit whilst being inside one's pants or jacket pocket? Unfortunately, here in Western Canada, I have to buy the units first in order to really compare them myself. (It must be nice to visit Japan every once in a while :rolleyes:)

I also wonder about the "metallic" feel of the unit in your hand, and if the the design and finish of the case takes advantage of the construction material, from an aesthetical vantage point. The e10 looks pretty nifty constructed from magnesium (I have been lucky enough to have seen the n10 so I have a good idea of the color of the metal). One of my favorite units (my friend brought one back for me from Japan) is the AIWA AM-HX200, carved from titanium. It's gorgeous! And, titanium is highly resistant to dents and scratches.

How does the NH1 unit compare to the e10? How do the units' controls compare if one is not using a remote and wants to control the unit whilst being inside one's pants or jacket pocket? Unfortunately, here in Western Canada, I have to buy the units first in order to really compare them myself. (It must be nice to visit Japan every once in a while :rolleyes:)

I also wonder about the "metallic" feel of the unit in your hand, and if the the design and finish of the case takes advantage of the construction material, from an aesthetical vantage point. The e10 looks pretty nifty constructed from magnesium (I have been lucky enough to have seen the n10 so I have a good idea of the color of the metal). One of my favorite units (my friend brought one back for me from Japan) is the AIWA AM-HX200, carved from titanium. It's gorgeous! And, titanium is highly resistant to dents and scratches.

To be fair, you can't really compare the NH1 with the E10 - one being a first generation Hi-MD recorder and the other being a strictly MDLP player. If you had a typo in your query and meant the EH1 instead (since this is a thread dedicated to the EH1), please review post #6 and #10 of this thread – I have included comments pertaining to size and sound engine of the EH1 and E10.

Construction material: both units including the EH1 feature identical brushed magnesium shell with the NH1 having a superior build for obvious reason. Nonetheless, they are both very elegant and refined.

Resistance to dents and scratches: I have to say they are not as resistant if you compared it to a titanium shell. But then accidents are relative to how you employ your units. I am proud to say that none of my units have suffered any dents or scratches and I hope to keep it that way.

Operations without a remote: I would say both units including the EH1 are fairly efficient without its supplemental remote for *basic playback needs. The operation buttons are strategically placed and you just need to get attuned mentally to where it’s placed. I would say the learning curve being fairly minimal for your intended use.

*strictly for basic playback use; a remote is required if you intend to adjust EQ or other functions

QUOTE(cambridgeman @ Oct 22 2005, 05:06 PM) ?

How does the NH1 unit compare to the e10? How do the units' controls compare if one is not using a remote and wants to control the unit whilst being inside one's pants or jacket pocket? Unfortunately, here in Western Canada, I have to buy the units first in order to really compare them myself. (It must be nice to visit Japan every once in a while :rolleyes: )

QUOTE: Ishii: To be fair, you can't really compare the NH1 with the E10 - one being a first generation Hi-MD recorder and the other being a strictly MDLP player. Did you have a typo in your query and meant the EH1 instead (since this is a thread dedicated to the EH1)?

I'm sorry if I posted this message somehow incorrectly. I really meant what I had asked. I am keenly interested in the comparison. How might I have better posted this question, if not as part of this thread? I thought it was appropriate on the logic that it was compariing the NH1 with another unit, the EH1. Although I was aware that the title of the thread was "EH1 pictorial", it was in this thread that I saw the pictures posted.

I'm sorry if I posted this message somehow incorrectly. I really meant what I had asked. I am keenly interested in the comparison. How might I have better posted this question, if not as part of this thread? I thought it was appropriate on the logic that it was compariing the NH1 with another unit, the EH1. Although I was aware that the title of the thread was "EH1 pictorial", it was in this thread that I saw the pictures posted.

No apologies needed. I hope my responses to your queries in my NH1 pictorial thread is adequate enough to assist with your quest for a new unit. Good luck. ;)

Does the black EH1 look more 'brushed' in real life ???

If you look at the very first photo you will see the brushed effect. Ishii has done a great job with the photos and they really bring out the character of this unit, although maybe it is easier to see the brushed effect in real life - although having said that it depends how the light hits it - it can look more matte from an angle.

If you can't get it from AudioCubes, the next alternative is to request buyfromjapan (an eBay seller based in Japan that many MDCF members frequent) to get one for you.

Anyone tried it from buyfromjapan? How much does the black model cost? I may better ask him/her directly...

update 11/10: asked buyfromjapan, he/she doesn't have EH1 either (black or silver).

update 11/27: the other alternative is japan-direct, but the price is really high...

Edited by duancg