CDDB Update Patch: A Solution for Non-Working CDDB in MD Simple Burner

Rate this topic

plugged in

A few days ago, Simple Burner--which had been working fine--stopped connected to CDDB for album titling. Every album comes up "Unknown."

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling (version 2.0.04.18080). The burning part still works fine, tracks are read off CD (as Track 1, etc.)--everything except CDDB.

I suspect it is a firewall issue. Does anyone know what the component of SB is that contacts CDDB (so I can add it to permitted list) and what port it uses (so I can make sure it's open)? I have the Black Ice firewall, and while the only automatically terminated apps are for the constant Realplayer and Acrobat updates, I would like to make sure it's not also stopping the CDDB connection somehow.

Thanks.

***********solution page two**********

Are you connecting through a proxy server - if so see the options in the SB app it self and fill in the appropriate address. The service is think is MD Simple Burner DB Access Service, but this shouldn't make any difference, as long as you can connect to the internet you should be ok.

There's no proxy server.

Also, I just enabled CDDB in Winamp and it gets the information fine. But Simple Burner still doesn't connect. It seems to want CDDB registration--when I click on that, it blanks out for a moment and then shows Unknown/Track 1 again--on a CD that Winamp immediately titled.

Any other ideas?

There's no proxy server.

Also, I just enabled CDDB in Winamp and it gets the information fine. But Simple Burner still doesn't connect. It seems to want CDDB registration--when I click on that, it blanks out for a moment and then shows Unknown/Track 1 again--on a CD that Winamp immediately titled.

Any other ideas?

After you have done the registration, refresh the disc by pressing the CD info button.

Also right-click on the Simple Burner system tray icon, and go to CDDB => Windows Configuration. Is this grayed out? If not click on it and enter a username and password (to be used by the service).

Does CDDB in Sonic Stage work?

Refresh comes back with Unknown.

Windows Configuration is grayed out.

Sonic Stage does the same as SB: I can click on Registration, but it doesn't ask for any info or make any difference. As I said, Winamp just goes right through to CDDB.

Looked in Black Ice applications list, and all the MD Simple Burner apps are approved.

I also just discovered that Import from the CD drive in SS doesn't list tracks even though SB does.

Tried Sony online chat support with the usual results: call the hotline. When I have an hour to waste on hold I may do that.

I'm trying to figure out what has changed on my computer in the last few days, but nothing comes to mind, and in any case I did reinstall SB already.

EDIT: Well, never mind. Although I had already rebooted a couple of times with no change, this time something I tweaked--maybe making the Winamp connection?--made Simple Burner work on reboot, asking for CDDB Registration and actually getting through. Thanks though, Richyhu.

Edited by plugged in

hi...

i have the same problem... i get 'socket open failed' information while i try to register... i didn't have that problem when i was using older version of SB with my net-md unit before - i'm registered there, but now it doesn't ask me to write down my old login...

and yes, i changed to 'do not use proxy' in sonicstage options...

anybody knows what to do?... i can't stand those 'untitled1', untitled2' titles after transfering cd into my unit...

EDIT: Well, never mind. Although I had already rebooted a couple of times with no change, this time something I tweaked--maybe making the Winamp connection?--made Simple Burner work on reboot, asking for CDDB Registration and actually getting through. Thanks though, Richyhu.

oh, you did it after registering through winamp... i'll try that, thanks...

Try adjusting your firewall, yanouche.

but what to do with the ports?... i can't just turn the firewall off... i had many problems while turning it of just for a while and then finding some spyware or torjan someone put at that time on my harddrive...

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I cannot remember the solution but when I had the same problem, I just fiddled around with the cddb registration button on the right-click menu of the SB tray icon. Then I restarted my computer and after that it registered automatically.

Just remember, you need to actually "register" once before you can use CDDB. (once for SS and also separately once for SB)

Edited by Berke

Doesn't even let me do that...click on register and the tracks blind once and nothing else happens...don't know if this is related, but the support button is greyed out as well. CDDB works fine in SS but absolutely nothing in SB. Also, I keep getting C++ errors when I try to type in the disc title and track names. Keeps telling me that it ended unexpectedly.

I do have it installed...think thats the problem??

Try re-installing Simple Burner only (without re-installing SS) - via the link in the downloads. If it still doesn't work uninstall Winamp then re-install Simple Burner and if it then works you know Winamp was the problem.

Thanks for the tips ! I also had an issue with CDDB and Simple Burner (SonicStage is working fine). I did uninstall WinAmp (I'm using Foobar2000 anyway), uninstall and reinstall SimpleBurner and Gracenote's CDDB is finally back !

Same problem here...any resolution to this?

I experienced this same problem recently, and somehow found the following link:

http://www.gracenote.com/developer/update/

which allowed me to download the file "Gracenote_CDDB_Update_Patch"

Once I installed the update patch, everything worked fine - perhaps this file should be made available in the file downloads section. Anyways, I trust this will solve the problem for all.

I agree...i just downloaded and installed it, and it worked like a charm! Without uninstalling and reinstalling SB. FANTASTIC!!!Way to go Sammy!

That's great! - I'm glad it worked for you too.

I noticed that Gracenote CDDB stopped working when I went to use Simple Burner about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I somehow found that file and the problem was fixed for me. Then while scanning the Minidisc forums the other day I noticed that others were having the same problem. I can't remember exactly how I found that file ... I probably I did some searching for a solution using Google, ... but beyond that I can't remember what led me to it. I guess I was just lucky. So I'm glad to share my luck with you, and others. I guess that's what makes these forums so great.

Sammy

Very frequently a solution to CDDB glitches in SB is to restart your computer. And, in any case, you have to restart the computer after installing/reinstalling SB, even if it doesn't ask you to. This is required for proper initialization of the application and its CDDB components.

BTW check your SONY CDs! The CD that came with my MZ-RH10 (purchased in March) contains SonicStage 3.0 (old and useless), and MD Simple Burner version 2.0.05.25150 (English, French, German, Italian and Japanese). So the version posted in this forum is not the most recent one. The newer version does not differ though. Just PCM, Hi-SP, Hi-LP, and 48 kbit/s for HiMD, and LP2 and LP4 for NetMD.

Edited by Avrin

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi there....

I´m from Spain and my English is no good.

I was using Connect player and gracenote work fine, but now I install Sonic Stage and in this aplication Gracenote CDDB don´t work and the registration is impossible, I tried but nothing happen.

I tried to install the patch to update CDDB but the installation failed because there is no DCCB library to update...

I don´t understand anything because I have the CDDB in Connect player and work fine.

I don´t have SB, winamp... because I just format my computer.

• 5 months later...

I experienced this same problem recently, and somehow found the following link:

http://www.gracenote.com/developer/update/

which allowed me to download the file "Gracenote_CDDB_Update_Patch"

Once I installed the update patch, everything worked fine - perhaps this file should be made available in the file downloads section. Anyways, I trust this will solve the problem for all.

Thanks installing the patch made it work again. I spent the last 30 min trying to find a solution for this.

Can this file be made available in downloads?

Edited by netmduser

• 1 year later...