What's next?

Rate this topic

Breepee2

OK, it's not 100% official, but if you have read the Hi-MD, Bye-MD?-thread, you know that it's about 90% certain: MD is no more. No new units until further notice. Now, that leaves us with 2 options:

1) Stop with MD, and go with an MP3-player (even the recorders here can find a unit that can record with the same quality MD can).

2) Stock up as much discs/hardware as you can and hope it lasts happily ever after (MD's are durable hardware, and should/could last for many years if you treat it right).

What are you going to do? I'd like to see some arguments why you'll choose whatever you choose (if you've chosen already).

I'm very much in doubt what to do. As some might know I always wanted MD to offer me a way to let me losslessy and retrievably archive music on MD's. I kind of was hanging out for such a unit (portable AND deck). Now, there won't be any unit/deck that can do what I wanted. I could buy a lot of 1GB discs and store everything in PCM, but that's kind of expensive and still very difficult to digitally and bitperfectly retrieve. It's cheaper to buy a (few) big hard drive(s) to back everything up in FLAC and use an MP3-player on the go. The MP3-player would preferably support Linux (by just being a drag-n-drop player and indexing itself on startup) and Ogg Vorbis (the aoTuv 4 compiles seems to be the best codec ever, outperforming practically every codec at any bitrate). A big plus is the size, most MP3-players are very small (smaller than MD-units). A big issue with MP3-players is battery-life though. Most don't come even close to 20 hrs. and do not have screw-on AA-compartments like most (Hi-)MD's do. And when the battery is dead, you have a problem (you can't just change the gumstick for 10 bucks). In short, I can't go too long without access to a power-connection. On the other hand, I don't think I'll be sticking with MD, if it's really dead.

What is your view?

I've got enough md units to see me through a long time. Will that be necessary, I don't know. I do believe that sd cards are going to be the future for portable music and if a player/multi-source recorder that meets my needs comes along I may make md my second choice, but I don't think that will happen in the next 3-5 years.

I also don't believe that legacy-md will disappear immediately after the expected announcement, though hi-md might. Here in Japan, legacy-md is still a major medium because of the shelf systems/boomboxes that have md players/recorders included. To cease producing portable legacy-players makes the shelf-system/boomboxes obsolete. Also, what would manufacturers have to replace md with in the home-systems for recording, a small harddrive?

my Onkyo himd deck is on the ship from Audiocubes. now I need a himd car unit and it will be alright for me.

I like archive my music in pcm on mds (and in wma lossless in the files part)

I prefer archive my work and important files on Md than cd-r because mds (magnneto-optical) have more durability.

Like bland10000 said, I don't think that even if Sony kills the format tomorrow I will be switching soon. I have enough MD units to be set for some time. I still beleive media will be available for some time. Maybe not the collector stuff but you can still go to Wal-Mart and buy a 5 pack color collection MD's. Heck you can still buy blank cassette tapes. I sm good for the time being. I may go on eBay and get some units that I have always wanted just to add to the collection.

OK, it's not 100% official, but if you have read the Hi-MD, Bye-MD?-thread, you know that it's about 90% certain: MD is no more. No new units until further notice. Now, that leaves us with 2 options:

1) Stop with MD, and go with an MP3-player (even the recorders here can find a unit that can record with the same quality MD can).

2) Stock up as much discs/hardware as you can and hope it lasts happily ever after (MD's are durable hardware, and should/could last for many years if you treat it right).

What are you going to do? I'd like to see some arguments why you'll choose whatever you choose (if you've chosen already).

What is your view?

I don't know how old you are, so I'm not trying to be condescending here... But as part of my "Growing Up" process, I had to train myself to resist buying the "Latest and Greatest" and just stick to whatever meets my needs.

That being said, I will stick to what I have until it no longer meets my needs, or until it breaks. At that point in the future, I'll decide.

But as part of my "Growing Up" process, I had to train myself to resist buying the "Latest and Greatest" and just stick to whatever meets my needs.

I did not even have to train myself to do that :) I don't have a lot of money, so when I buy something, I buy to last (and don't mind to spend a little extra if it'll prolong the lifespan of the system/unit).

I already came to the point this year that my old MD unit (non netMD/HiMD) does not suit my needs anymore. Times have changed since I bought it in 2001. I've moved my 'music business' to the PC and my unit is a little bulky to slip in my pocket.

So since this spring (!) I've been looking out to a new DAP. There are none who are precisely what I want, so it's a matter of deciding what's the least worst (and what is really important and what not). At first I wanted to buy a HiMD, but I always thought they were still a bit bulky, didn't work with Linux and had low outputs (and no FLAC/OGG-support). Some MP3-players do, but they don't have removable media, removeable batteries or are suitable to backup a music archive losslessy.

I'm now thinking of the Sony NW-HD1. No Ogg or Linux support, but has a good battery life, is small, has enough space and is not so expensive.

I did not even have to train myself to do that :) I don't have a lot of money, so when I buy something, I buy to last (and don't mind to spend a little extra if it'll prolong the lifespan of the system/unit).

I already came to the point this year that my old MD unit (non netMD/HiMD) does not suit my needs anymore. Times have changed since I bought it in 2001. I've moved my 'music business' to the PC and my unit is a little bulky to slip in my pocket.

So since this spring (!) I've been looking out to a new DAP. There are none who are precisely what I want, so it's a matter of deciding what's the least worst (and what is really important and what not). At first I wanted to buy a HiMD, but I always thought they were still a bit bulky, didn't work with Linux and had low outputs (and no FLAC/OGG-support). Some MP3-players do, but they don't have removable media, removeable batteries or are suitable to backup a music archive losslessy.

I'm now thinking of the Sony NW-HD1. No Ogg or Linux support, but has a good battery life, is small, has enough space and is not so expensive.

As far as players are concerned you can't beat the ease of use of the iPod

if you like the Linux world you can give this a try;

http://ipodlinux.org/index.php/Main_Page

For day to day playing, any of the HI-MD units will do. My favorite is the 800 with its FM tuner and AA compartment.

As far as recording live the only affordable and with higher specs than the MD is

M-Audio's recently released M-Tracker for $ 325 it exceeds most peoples sound system capabilities and it can record on SD cards and 6 Gig MicroDrives and it is drag-n-drop

I for one look forward to the day when Sony announces that the ATRAC division is closed They brought this on themselves by their encryption/greed and lack of standards.

What ever unit I'll buy will have to be drag-n-drop. Sony proprietary programs are for the birds.

I love my MD units and the discussions on this board. I'm sure the units will live on just like cassettes have. So now is the time to buy some of the classic models on ebay. The MZ- R50 and MZ-R37 are on my list.

Good luck on your search for the perfect unit.

Well lets see...

I shall continue to use the minidisc format, along side other DAPs until the last of breaks and I can not find a any second hand units.

You see, I am not a recorder of music, but a listener.

When I have to move on to other DAPs the only thing I shall regret is that I will be tied to the computer again! :(

My only problem with DAPs is that I am tied to a computer. Perhaps I am old fashioned, but I have never lost any music that was recorded on minidisc, I wish I could say the same for music recorded/downloaded on to my computer, or even CDRs come to think of it. :lol:

If it wasn't for it's terrible battery life, I think I'd be already having one.

I have never have had the patience nor the time to listen to more than 8hrs continuously to anything and my iPod Mini does that very easely. The Nano goes farther to 14 Hrs. I don't buy music from iTunes, I just trasfer my CD.s at 1445 which is WAV format. It does not get much better than that for portables does it?

What I really like is listening to audio books on it while I do long distance driving. The play through the radio feature of iTrip is very nice

Having been an MD user since the MZ-1, as long as I have a functioning unit (the MZ-1 still works for the most part ^_^ ) and functional media, I will be staying with the format.

I use MD mainly for the recording aspect, and even if I had a choice of a portable HD or whatever recorder with the same quality, theres something about the feeling of inserting an MD when you are getting ready to record... B)

So as I stated, as long as I have a unit and media, or can find one on eBay or whatever, I'm staying with MD. Period.

The digital rights management for MD has become ridiculous.As afr as i know they dont even make models that can record audio without a computer anymore.

Im fed up with my MD player, and getting an Ipod mini (free with my iBook). Ipods can be dropped and still work :rolleyes:

MD USED TO BE great but today... wellsony you were doin fine until you 1. atopped advertizing MD, 2. dont make it clear that MD is an MP3 PLAYER and not some weird recorder only geeks know how to use and 3... ur digital rights management is INSANE and i do NOT want to use your mp3 player. sorry sony. your software sucks, love ur hardware thogh.

Dont u guys get me wrong i LOVE sony products, TV's, Playstation, (their audio equipment is pretty bad though) LCD's CRT's, but as for MD... i left mine in the hot car a few trimes and now my buttons dont work. i hafta use a remote. Dropped it once and now songas record with "blank spots" in them, and if somthing else was on the disc, instyead of a blank spot, ill get the original song from the disc for the duraton that my MD devicer didnt record. Even an iPod with a HRD DISK inside is more durable than that. And apple doesnt acre for digtal rights management as much as sony. No not by a longshot.

I know u wont find this a popular post. sorry fot that but if MD disapeers i must ask what areb we really losing? Not much says me. I bought an MD because i wanted SMALL device than can hold a LOTof music. At the time i bought one there were no devices as small as MDplayers that heald mroe than an MD disc. So i got a small MD player with the idea that i can CHANGE discs and still have a small device and play infinite music.

Then i realized how bulky the discs are and that and tosday id be better off with an iPod nano/mini/shuffle OR even a sony digital walkman mp3 device.

Oh and making me convert to openmg format is insane. Sony, if your reading this (andf im sure ur not) you are RIDICULOUS for wanting me to double the size of my music folder.

Imagine all tghe non tech savvy idiots who did that and dont even know ehere the open MG files get stored. ridiculous.

Edited by ff8123

As soon as I can find an MP3 unit with Auto Pause, I'll try it. I can download 41 MP3's to my Palm Zire 31 using the Palm version of Real Player. If it had Auto Pause, I'd be set. I still use my JE330. With the Creative Audigy2 ZS, I download to minidisc from my computer via fiber optic. I can download to my Zire 31 via USB and can manage playlist. The .wav's are converted to MP3 by Real and the actual names go with them.

Sony dropped the ball by not making MD's more user friendly and manageable from a PC. Even so, I'll still use them till the units fail.

I have never have had the patience nor the time to listen to more than 8hrs continuously to anything and my iPod Mini does that very easely.

Not everyone comes home to his iPod-dock every night. Especially on vacations, a big battery and/or a screw on AA-compartment is very convenient.

Not everyone comes home to his iPod-dock every night. Especially on vacations, a big battery and/or a screw on AA-compartment is very convenient.

You are right about the overnight battery issue.

It would be great if the battery could be taken out like a digital camera.

If you are driving a car or any other 12 V vehicle they make lighter plug for recharging. In France I saw a charger that works on your bicycle dynamo -neat

The 12volt store sells a larger battery pack and solar pack for campers. The only adaptor for it that I have yet to see is fuel cells.

I was used to use ordinary CD-Player, it was slim and it was ok with me. Then some time ago i decided that i need a smaller and with more capicity unit. Ofcourse there was basicly only two choices - Harddrive MP3 or MD! Somehow i still find MD more useful and nicer. Maybe because i like that it has a recording-option or maybe it's isn't so lame? I mean the drag-n-drop system, ok, it's fast and simple, but it's seems like it's mostly for just people who doesn't care about sound quality and everything like that. Ok, they are making all kinds of stuff to iPod, like the Linux stuff - thats really nice, they should do something like that to MD. Bottom line is that i find MP3 players little bit too lamely used and i'm afraid that maybe in the future there isn't any nice recordingoptions at all. Only just drag-n-drop mp3 listening. Sad and bad Sony!

I was used to use ordinary CD-Player, it was slim and it was ok with me. Then some time ago i decided that i need a smaller and with more capicity unit. Ofcourse there was basicly only two choices - Harddrive MP3 or MD! Somehow i still find MD more useful and nicer. Maybe because i like that it has a recording-option or maybe it's isn't so lame? I mean the drag-n-drop system, ok, it's fast and simple, but it's seems like it's mostly for just people who doesn't care about sound quality and everything like that. Ok, they are making all kinds of stuff to iPod, like the Linux stuff - thats really nice, they should do something like that to MD. Bottom line is that i find MP3 players little bit too lamely used and i'm afraid that maybe in the future there isn't any nice recordingoptions at all. Only just drag-n-drop mp3 listening. Sad and bad Sony!

If Sony are serious about making an impact on the future, then they could do worse than have a whole department (maybe a small one ... !) studying this forum.

Unlike many othe forums (fora ?) this one is generally used by true ENTHUSIASTS who love their audio, and who make sensible, considered, positive criticisms of all aspects of the medium (hardware, software, performance, reliability, ergonomics, value for money, etc etc).

Pretty well the entire future, as viewed by those who have a user's interest is captured one way or another within this very forum.

If however only "corporate vested interests" are all that matter, then the story may well be a different one.

But Sony will then be exposed to the risk that one or other of their rivals, who, after all can read the same forum, will take a lead and "hijack" Sony's original idea, and possibly make an absolute killing.

The only problem with that, as I see it is that the Apple IPod, for all its shortcomings, has already become the "definitive" Personal Audio machine, and that must be a very difficult hurdle for ANY rival company to overcome.

The only problem with that, as I see it is that the Apple IPod, for all its shortcomings, has already become the "definitive" Personal Audio machine, and that must be a very difficult hurdle for ANY rival company to overcome.

Yeah, but even before iPod Sony acted stupidly with MD. MD could have made a bigger breaktrough, after MD is a wonderful unit, but even wonderful things can't make breaktrough with some little help?!

I just want to say that there was lack of buyerfriendly attitude, Sony made itself situation hard. I mean all the software problems and copyright stuff and so on.

Edited by pisialvar

It would be a pity if MD were abandoned.

I've been using MD since 1998.

The first unit I bought was MZ-E20 walkman in 1998.

Since that was just a player I also bought an MD deck: MDS-JE520.

MZ-E20 was rather big and very eager regarding battery life so one year later I bought MZ-E25 player.

And this player is now my favourite. In orange colour looks really great, much better than most players nowadays.

Since 1999 I've been using MiniDisc exclusivelly. I admit I was tempted by mp3 players but mp3 players have one disadvantage. They do not have a removable media. MD does.

I also always wanted to use MDisks as storage media to store different files etc. Once The Matrix movie appeared and I saw a scene where Neo gives a man (with a girl with a white rabbit on the shoulder) a MD disk with some data I realised that I'm not the only one who thought about MD as a storage media.

Then, I saw Hi-MD units. It was like a dream come through. I got one unit: MZ-DH710 and am very pleased with it.

Some of you may think that I chose rather poor man's unit but it is not so.

It was carefully thought over decision. I've never wanted, don't want and will never want any device with a proprietry battery. I hate these things. I want to be able to insert one battery AA-size and listen to the music.

I don't want any chargers, any built-in chargers etc. That's why I've chosen MZ-DH710.

Just place the battery and you can go. If the battery is low, replace with a battery you can by virtually everywhere.

There is however one problem with Hi-MD unit I own. It's bigger than my favourite MZ-E25. I just love the size and design of MZ-E25. And it seems so durable. MZ-DH710 isn't so durable even in 50%.

I hope to see some day a Hi-MD unit which looks like MZ-E25, uses AA or AAA battery (only one) and is really durable, with metal like body etc.

There is also one thing I don't like what Sony does.

AFAIK there is no MD decks which allow to play Hi-MDs. And it's a great pity. I would love to replace my MDS-JE520 if there was such unit.

I think the problem is, that Hi-MDs are like mp3 players. They are only meant to be used as portable devices.

What about users who use MDs in there Hi-Fi systems? Why can't I use Hi-MDs in my MD deck?

I don't want to make 2 copies of disks, one for my MD deck and one for my Hi-MD player !!

And one more thing, software. I have to keep windows system installed only to be able to download some stuff onto Hi-MD. WHY?? WHY??

Why can't sony buy QT library and write software system independent which could be run on Linux, MacOS (X) and even damn windows?? WHY ?? Why sony tells me to buy winodws to use there stuff ??

Sony, do you know why MD are not so populars as mp3 players? Because they are usb-storage class devices.

You plug it in, download stuff and that's it. No windows software is needed.

If I were asked if I wanted to use technology which demands sophisticated software to download music to my the music media of my choice or some simple way to do it the answer would be I don't.

That's why sony's MD format will stay alive only among users who use it as a Hi-Fi componen, MD decks and so on.

Regarding portable players - MD will be beaten by mp3 players. Sad truth, but sony deserves it. But do we ?

1) I'd NEVER BUY downloadable music -- for starters I tend to like classical music and there aren't any "downloadable" stores for this. I don't also want to pay for "compressed" music of "dubious quality" and then be tied in to only being allowed to play it on certain devices or in certain formats (DRM crud) without going through a lot of geeky processes to bypass some of the more irksome restrictions.

2) I HATE the whole idea of becoming more and more dependent on the computer for obtaining, storing and playing music -- I do some professional photography and after a few hours processing pictures with Photoshop etc. I'm usually heartily SICK of computers for a while -- It's just nice to pop a disc into a high end unit and listen with a nice glass of Single Malt Whisky and just enjoy.

3) I don't like the idea of having an entire library on a hard disk type of unit -- if it gets stolen or breaks you've got to go through the whole process of building a library again -- with over 600 CD's this is NOT a trivial task and can be very time consuming.

4) Ipod type of things require you to use a computer for organising / deleting / adding music to the device -- can't be bothered with a lot of that.

5) When travelling I like to have about 3 - 4 hours worth of music -- this fits easily on to 1 or 2 standard LP2 minidiscs or 1/2 a Hi-MD --very easy to carry and organise -- . If I want more I just take some more discs --not too inconvenient either.

6) When I buy a new CD ( I still get them ocasionally) I can make a decent copy both on to my bookshelf unit AND portable device without going anywhere near a computer as my MD unit has an Optical in AND an Optical out --so I can from the same CD make both an LP2 and a HI-MD (HI-SP) at the same time. OK it's real time --but I usually want to listen to the CD ONCE after I've bought it.

BTW on a really good high end unit LP2 can be very very good indeed -- minimal difference from the older SP -- a high end unit really does produce quality -- and I've got one of the best Sony ever made --the MDS -JB980 --if you can find one of these go for it --even if Sony does drop the format this will last you for YEARS and give you quality an Ipod couldn't even DREAM about.

If the MD DOES go the way of the dodo I still have a HUGE amount of media so it will last me for ages --and I've still got an old portable DAT recorder somewhere.

However I think that there is STILL some life left in the MD type of format --after all if only Sony would produce a HI-MD car unit this would make MD more acessible to loads of people who currently have to fiddle around with those stupid CD changers stuck in the boot of their cars while taking an armful of bulky CD's with them.

Cheers

-K

Hello,

I've been reading along for at least two years now. I recently bought a rh910 and

am very happy with it. Might sound crazy but I also bought a sony cd player in

parallel because in the long run and for use at home cd's are the cheaper medium.

It took me a while to find the right earphones. But now I am extremely satisfied

with my setup und would really miss this community.

It's just a whim and might be to far fetched: could Sony's dismissal of the MD have

anything to do with the fact that Atrac is not supposed to be supported any longer

in a few years? I mean the recordings are either in PCM and Atrac. Could Sony feel

forced to support Atrac if they continue to sell MD players/recorders that work with

this format?

Ok, so thanks & take care then...

Phoenix

Guest NRen2k5

I'm hoping to get a new MD unit or two on-the-cheap in the next couple of months... maybe an RH10 (to keep pristine and do optical dubs) and an NH600 (to play). Hopefully they and my NH700 will have good long lives.

It's a shame that Sony would dump the MiniDisc line. Aside from the Trinitron line of TV's, it's quite likely the best thing they've ever made.

Hello,

I've been reading along for at least two years now. I recently bought a rh910 and

am very happy with it. Might sound crazy but I also bought a sony cd player in

parallel because in the long run and for use at home cd's are the cheaper medium.

It took me a while to find the right earphones. But now I am extremely satisfied

with my setup und would really miss this community.

It's just a whim and might be to far fetched: could Sony's dismissal of the MD have

anything to do with the fact that Atrac is not supposed to be supported any longer

in a few years? I mean the recordings are either in PCM and Atrac. Could Sony feel

forced to support Atrac if they continue to sell MD players/recorders that work with

this format?

Ok, so thanks & take care then...

Phoenix

Welcome to MDCF and enjoy your rh910!

I 've followed MD since the beginning. In 1998 Sony was present during the 3 days HCC dagen (nice computer event in Utrecht once a year) and I've spoken that MD is really well develloped and it'll be wasted if Sony use it only for music and don't use it for reliable data storage for replacement of floppy and cd-r. 2004, finally the Hi-md is there (a BIT late, because lots of alternative like mobile hdd and solid state).

Since my first md product this year, a NH-600 for music and data & photo back-up, I've also bought a car stereo MDX-5800, a card reader MCM-DR1 and lots of cartridges. Today I was in Correct Rotterdam, who sells Himd (black) and Fuji's md pretty affordable: 6,95 euro and 9,50 per 5. Himd has't arrived since 15 September. I've informed that Sony has some "accident" in their main distribution centre, but Media Markt in centre 've tons of them in Blue version.

But my theory is that the Consumers aren't very interest in quality, but for price and design like the huge popular IPod Nano (good build though). And Sony turns their target to the professionals which is unwise. Look what happened to Betamax.. There's also the Dominant Sonicstage, which decides what kinds of music you may store it on your md and only 1 upload is allowed. I've written, too many restriction for Customers, Sony will tie itself. And Sonicstage 3.2 appears with unlimited upload (really too late, market is saturated). But I haven't seen commercials on tv/radio's for years, how about the Customers?

I wish some genius Marketing guys from PS -> MD and MD might be relived again.

ps. My family use MD with great joy, we share lots of music and data. We do also promote on high schools and friends, but it really takes some efforts since MD 've slept for such looong time.

Edited by transparant

I actually saw two Hi-MD units in a major electrical store (Comet) yesterday.

Rh710 & the Rh10, amoungst the hundreds of MP3 players.

Two pearls in a sea of swine....

:D

Edited by MDGB2

Hi guys,

What I like the most of MD is the possibility of having a bunch of disks for only a few bucks. Then I can have most of my CD collection already recorded ('uploaded') in MD format. In this way, when I'm going on a trip, or jogging, or whenever I want to listen to some music, I just pick one or two or ten disks with the music that I like in that particular moment, and.. that's it!! And maybe tomorrow (or on my next trip) I want to listen a completely different set of disks and that is no problem at all with MD. If I run short of disks, it's only a matter of a few $$$.

With all MP3 players that I know so far (taking apart the MP3-CD players, they are so bulky that I don't even think of them), I would have to upload the music every time I want to listen to something different!! And I haven't made the calculations to know wether a 40Gb or 60Gb would be enough to hold enouhg music so that I don't have to think about it again. But still, that is 4 or 5 times more expensive than my N505 with my 30 (or even 50) disks. Maybe when memory cards were big and cheap enough....

But for the moment, I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

I think we've got to read the writing on the wall that's been there ever since flash memory came down in price: Disks are dying. CDs, DVDs, HDs, MDs are going to go the way of the dinosaur eventually. Floppies have basically been killed off and except for a few exotic or ancient applications, they are basically useless in today's IT world.

DVDs and the new DVD standard whatever that ends up being, will probably make it for another 20 years. I can't see hard drives lasting long once flash or some other memory starts getting cheap and reliable enough to deploy in 10 to 100GB sizes.

The party was fun while it lasted. Too bad Sony couldn't get this done right. They freaking **created** portable audio! Some people still say, "walkman" when they mean portable audio device. They didn't take any cues from their Playstation marketing department. If they did, the MDs with all their faults would be the defacto standard instead of ipods.

Soooo, no iPod for me(too expensive), but definitely an "eBay-able" item now. :angry::wacko:

Hi guys,

What I like the most of MD is the possibility of having a bunch of disks for only a few bucks. Then I can have most of my CD collection already recorded ('uploaded') in MD format. In this way, when I'm going on a trip, or jogging, or whenever I want to listen to some music, I just pick one or two or ten disks with the music that I like in that particular moment, and.. that's it!! And maybe tomorrow (or on my next trip) I want to listen a completely different set of disks and that is no problem at all with MD. If I run short of disks, it's only a matter of a few $$$.

With all MP3 players that I know so far (taking apart the MP3-CD players, they are so bulky that I don't even think of them), I would have to upload the music every time I want to listen to something different!! And I haven't made the calculations to know wether a 40Gb or 60Gb would be enough to hold enouhg music so that I don't have to think about it again. But still, that is 4 or 5 times more expensive than my N505 with my 30 (or even 50) disks. Maybe when memory cards were big and cheap enough....

But for the moment, I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

However I think that there is STILL some life left in the MD type of format --after all if only Sony would produce a HI-MD car unit this would make MD more acessible to loads of people who currently have to fiddle around with those stupid CD changers stuck in the boot of their cars while taking an armful of bulky CD's with them.

Cheers

-K

Hate to nitpick on a single point, but there's no reason to have a Hi-MD car deck anymore. CD/MP3 Players are the new standard for decks. Hell, most mid-range cars come standard with one. 700mb of music on a $0.25 CD? Beats out Hi-MD anyday. That, and you can make an MP3 music cd in under 10 minutes, including choosing, selecting, dragging, and burning.

Sony's playing catch-up with almost everything. This is no different.

I dont think a Hi-MD car stereo deck would be a bad idea. It may not become the standard, but I would buy one!

Im sad to hear this news of mini-disc going away, but when I bought my RH10, i still knew this would happen. I never thought it would become the new standard for people. But it works great for me.

I learned a big lesson about 2 years ago. I was born and rasied in a community of people that had to have the hottest, most expensive item they could find. A Community were still to this day there is no Walmart for at least a 2 hour drive. Sometimes, this lead to overpriced-overhyped products, other times, it lead to someone accidently stumbbling on a quality product.

2 years ago, I traveld a lot across the states (and still am) for school. I learned that most places werent like the place I grew up. Most places had people that were smarter with thier money to blow it on overpriced junk. However, in this same mindset, Ive found most (not all) those people tighter on their money, will buy cheap low quality items. Thats what the masses want. Thats why Walmart is so big.

I understand opther peoples opinons, but in my own, I feel the drag and drop is cheaper low quality. Few years ago, I was downloading MP3s like crazy. Singles, diffrent quality levels, mis-named MP3s. I was dragging and dropping with my frist 32MB player.

The Minidisc taught me something. The beauty of an album and uniform sound. Having all my sound quality all the same again made my music feel more 'clean'. And I went back to listening to the WHOLE album instead of random songs. It made me understand the artist I love more and more. I know ipods can technicaly do all of that, but its not my style, and i like to have a disc i can actually feel. something I can wiggle in my hand as I look at my friend and say "You GOT to hear this!!"

I want to thank Minidisc for that, and I hope whatever comes next will do the same for me. Beacuase I dont want to go back to the drag and drop.

Here is my bet...prediction...speculation...expectation...wishful thinking...(whatever)

I see Sony phasing out both the Minidisc AND the larger format Memorystick in favour of a recordable UMD (I expect a UMD equivalent of an audio Hi-MD recorder...and expect to see UMD Handicams for home movies) that will play in the PSP and future Sony portable 'entertainment' devices. The PSP would remain a read only device and there would be copy protected commercial games, movies and recorded music albums that they would sell along side DVDs and CDs.

The form factor of the memorystick will shrink to half its current thumbnail size and will use adapters to allow it to be used in older digital cameras etc but it would allow slideshows to be displayed on the PSP's better screen.

The PSP will have a built-in multigig HD for buffering and storage of non-commercial (non-copyprotected) and 'personal' material.

Edited by Meryl Arbing

Here is my bet...prediction...speculation...expectation...wishful thinking...(whatever)

I see Sony phasing out both the Minidisc AND the larger format Memorystick in favour of a recordable UMD (I expect a UMD equivalent of an audio Hi-MD recorder...and expect to see UMD Handicams for home movies) that will play in the PSP and future Sony portable 'entertainment' devices. The PSP would remain a read only device and there would be copy protected commercial games, movies and recorded music albums that they would sell along side DVDs and CDs.

The form factor of the memorystick will shrink to half its current thumbnail size and will use adapters to allow it to be used in older digital cameras etc but it would allow slideshows to be displayed on the PSP's better screen.

The PSP will have a built-in multigig HD for buffering and storage of non-commercial (non-copyprotected) and 'personal' material.

If it comes to UMD replacing HiMD, that is fine as long as they put a shutter on the back of the disc.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/mc/20050930/tc_mc/...memorystickcard

you're halfway there meryl

It seems to be pretty risky to mention the M-Audio MicroTrack around here, but this Yahoo Groups post seems to indicate that it's got some weird "features" - such as inability to set levels or monitor without actually recording, and inability to run off external power (just recharge) - which indicate the problems with other products' immaturity.

[Edit - reading other posts does present a confusing picture of the truth of these matters, but the general point in the next para here is valid I think.]

While Md/Hi-MD has a slew of known irritations, at least a lot of the wrinkles have gradually been ironed out over the years. While doubtless new devices will appear to take over the MD mantle in the fullness of time, I rather wonder whether there will be an awkward hiatus before genuine alternatives are not only available but fully developed and de-bugged.

Edited by ozpeter

Actually small sizes have significant disadvantages for some purposes.

If you take Canon's latest high end Professional Digital Camera (the 5D) it has gone back to only having a slot for a Microdrive or a CF - Compact Flash card. This is high end Professional gear only just released.

Canon's previous Professional Digital cameras (I mean PRO stuff like the 1DS Mk II or 1D MK II--not the consumer end smaller cameras) had a slot as well for the smaller SD cards. --These have been dropped in favour of the larger CF cards.

A certain amount of "ruggedness" is always required in professional gear (or even SERIOUS portable gear).

I'm not sure if I were a journalist whether I would rely 100% on ANY hard disc device -- the disc goes belly up and you've lost your precious recording. Tapes and MD's can usually survive far more knocks and bangs than a Hard Disc can -- and in certain critical situations if the Police confiscate your gear you've usually got time to get a MD or tape away to your paper / TV station or whatever.

I tend to think the MD's future is a lot more secure than might seem to be at the moment --- certainly for PRO gear.

I also tend to think that the HD type of device won't have a long term future --for two main reasons

1) The necessity of having ALL your library on a single disc -- this makes the sheer hassle of organising it a pain --- people always want MORE music and whilst you MIGHT think 20GB enough -- it's NEVER enough --- look at computer discs these days -- any decent Desktop will have 200 GB discs as a matter of course now wheras a few years ago they might have had just 20GB.

2) New devices always appear -- the "Ipod Mini" generation want new gadgets frequently --so what do you do about upgrading your "Old 20GB" HD player to the new snazzy 50GB model that's just appeared. --OK you copy all your music (DRM Crud permitting) and on day 1 you trip over and the device breaks --or worse someone steals it. You haven't got your old player anymore --so your music is in limbo land.

No I quite like the idea of the MD --the size is just about right IMO -- large enough not to get lost etc etc and small enough to be easily portable.

I used an old MZ-N10 recently and was amazed at how much some people liked it --especially those who had NEVER seen an MD recorder. Maybe Sony should introduce something like the MZ-N10 again -- the "Retro" look is VERY popular again.

One guy said after listening to the MZ-N10 with Bose headphones (even though I was using a disk at LP2) he couldn't BEAR the sound of his Ipod anymore after that --he did like the white phones however.

Maybe SONY execs shoul READ this Forum.

Cheers

-K

well,

I have seen MD since it's inception in 1990 and I have owned countless SONY products over the years. I think SONY has created and inspired some of the most brilliant devices and designs in modern digital history. I however have reached the point where I am completely fed up with the arrogance of this Japanese giant and its need to create proprietary formats with great potential then hinder the progress of their development by not exploiting them fully or allowing others to because of restrictive licensing. That is frustrating and if they kill the MD format, I would have reached my limit of tolerance. I will never buy another SONY branded product or use anther SONY format for as long as I live... not even a blank CD!

As for potential replacements... I have already started to look around and here is what I have found that seems to have potential as long as it meets five criteria:

1. Must have capacities of 5GB+

2. Must be no larger than the existing UMD

3. Must be as re-writable (in terms of the lifespan) as Hi-MD

4. Must be as durable as Hi-MD (in-so-much as resistance to physical damage)

5. Must be relatively low cost (between the current cost of a 512MB flash media card and Hi-MD media is reasonable)

So without further ado, here is Hitachi's MDA or Micro Data Archive, potentially the next big thing in personal portable storage if cost is low enough, and I know I'd be the first in line if they meet my five criteria.

IPB Image

IPB Image

My $0.02,

diJenerate

Edited by diJenerate

After much thinking and rethinking I have decided to stick with MD.

I'll stock up on discs and a few recorders as well and then I'm set for quite a while.

Plus, even if Sony stops making MD-equipment immediately,

it would take some time to totally clear stock throughout Germany.

In other words, it could be late 2006 until the last new one would be sold.

Now add two years on top of that, since we have two years warranty by law and Sony has to honor that.

So that is the minimum time, I can expect service for my HiMD-units.

However, in some countries, the warranty is even longer - up to 5 years by law. ( Sweden IIRC )

That way, spare parts will be even be longer available.

I guess, there is a EU-law governing that too ( 5 years ? ), so I'm not worried about keeping my stuff running.

Plus, there is always eBay and Audiocubes.

On the other paw, all we heard from Sony were plans and intentions, but nothing solid about MD.

And production never ceases immediately, so I expect new HiMD-units being available well into 2007 ( Store & distributor stock ),

extending warranty obligations into 2009.

And even later, if sales pick up again.

So, my advice: Do what I do, stock up and you're set for the upcoming years.

And if you're being asked, what MP3-player one should buy, educate about MD.

If the marketing department is unable to do the job, maybe we are...