What's next?

Rate this topic

Breepee2

After much thinking and rethinking I have decided to stick with MD.

I'll stock up on discs and a few recorders as well and then I'm set for quite a while.

Plus, even if Sony stops making MD-equipment immediately

GREAT! ME TOO!!!

On the other paw, all we heard from Sony were plans and intentions, but nothing solid about MD.

This point got me thinking... it's possible they didn't MENTION it because it's not a PROMOTIONAL priority (like it ever WAS)... but they could still keep it going another 2 years, but just not have it in their spotlight as they're pushing the "better" things...

Could be SONY's new way to promote MiniDisc for a minimal cost!

Release a brand new blue HiMD blank then hint that there maybe no 3G recorders/players.

It is certainly making us all think about trying to buy up a few extra recorders to get us going for the next few years.

But nothing is confirmed yet is it?

Until there is an official Sony announcement that says:

"Yes we do produce some outstanding technology, but we have the marketing brains of a headless chicken, and we have betrayed our loyal customers by scrapping MD/Hi-MD"

Then I will resume normal service, buying as and when I need discs/equipment. I have half a dozen 1GB blanks still shrink wrapped. Unfortunately they are the old drab kind and not the new blue ones. -_-

Edited by MDGB2

i am sticking to a HDD device for playback.. using the rh10 as a recorder only.. occasionaly use the n10 for playback..

assuming the rh10 will record nicely for another 2-3 years, i dont think i have anything to fear.. if ss 3.2 is the last software to support MD, so be it.

honestly, its strange to even discuss when there is no other similar device in the market... my assumption is that Hi MD will stay.. as a pro recording tool.. again thats my opinion.. no matter whats been said for so long, i think hi md is here to stay as a recording medium, the purpose for which it was originnally developed

I just returned my NW-HD1 which I bought this monday.

In itself a nice device and a sleek dock, but the audio/interface end of it all werent in no way up to my (budget) MD device, Sharp MT190. Also it 'felt' very fragile. I can just toss my Sharp on the floor and it won't even skip.

Perhaps it's the Sony-factor, but it just may be that HDD-players are not for me.

I've been eyeing an iPod Nano for a while, maybe when the precies drop a little. Too bad they too don't 'feel' solid in your hands like MD-player do and the very short and unextendable battery-life.

MD units seem (and pretty much are) indestructable.

Could be SONY's new way to promote MiniDisc for a minimal cost!

Release a brand new blue HiMD blank then hint that there maybe no 3G recorders/players.

It is certainly making us all think about trying to buy up a few extra recorders to get us going for the next few years.

GOOD ONE!! :D

(well... too Bad theEy're noT thAt smart)

I have a quick question: Let's assume some other co. will buy out the technology of MD from sony 6 - 7 yr. from now, or some time in the future. In the mean time, what do we have to do to conserve the ongoing recording of HiMD?

1) Do we need to stock up blank HiMD? Is the media being discontinue?

2) Would you stock an extra Li Ion battery or a spare remote?

3) Would you even buy a spare HiMD?

So how come nobody's talking about the semi-anouncement on minidisc.org?

"Also from AES, a respected journalist in the audio field reports: I was told [by Sony's pro-audio division] that new Hi-MD models are being developed and that Sony had no intention of killing the format. ... They kept assuring everyone that Hi-MD in the pro market will continue."

Hoax or what? Kurisu, can you comment on this?

I have a quick question: Let's assume some other co. will buy out the technology of MD from sony 6 - 7 yr. from now, or some time in the future. In the mean time, what do we have to do to conserve the ongoing recording of HiMD?

1) Do we need to stock up blank HiMD? Is the media being discontinue?

2) Would you stock an extra Li Ion battery or a spare remote?

3) Would you even buy a spare HiMD?

stock up on blanks? i dont need that many, as i dont record very much

extra battery? sure, maybe one as they're pretty expensive but the remotes seem durable

spare hi-md i would not as it wouldnt be that wise to invest again in a "dead" medium

So how come nobody's talking about the semi-anouncement on minidisc.org?

"Also from AES, a respected journalist in the audio field reports: I was told [by Sony's pro-audio division] that new Hi-MD models are being developed and that Sony had no intention of killing the format. ... They kept assuring everyone that Hi-MD in the pro market will continue."

Hoax or what? Kurisu, can you comment on this?

I was wondering the exact same thing, sounds promising to me. Must be waiting for more confirmation??

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering the exact same thing, sounds promising to me. Must be waiting for more confirmation??

Bob

Yep, I need the pro stuff. My criteria are a bit different, so here goes:

1) the ability of a base station or deck to switch on and record from line-in unattended, on a single disc up to 6 hours (we're almost there with MDLP). This I accomplish with my E12, yay! So far, can't do this with HiMD.

2) The ability to walk into the room with the base station, eject the recorded disc, replace with a blank disc, then exit the room within 30 seconds.

3) A portable player with pitch-controlled fast playback up to 2x or 2.2x, listenable on headphones or external speaker if there are others present who wish to listen. This I use my MZ-B10 for, yay! (There are apparently 2 discontinued HiMD portables that had fast playback but no integrated speakers, so I could compromise on that, if I can find any new units with fast playback.)

I'm attempting to duplicate this with a PC base station, but (1) PC will have to be continually operational, and (2) the method of writing to portable media format (e.g. burn CD) or transferring to the portable (over USB) can take 5 minutes instead of 30 seconds. And then, (3) no portable player that I know of possesses the ability to speed up playback of CDs or MP3s. The only alternative is to use RealPlayer and Enounce 2xav on my PC to re-record the program in real time (yuk) which means that 6 hours needs 3 hours to re-encode. And then you cannot slow it down-- it's sped-up permanently at a set rate. TotalRecorder has a kludge that takes 5 minutes to accomplish, and does speed up the program (again, permanently at a set rate) but without pitch control. So this is not a total dry hole but it's nowhere near as convenient as MD yet.

Even with the HiMD portables with fast playback, I still have to take the MP3 off the computer (can Total Recorder use ATRAC???) and convert it to ATRAC before transfer because those portable HiMD don't support MP3. So there's some more user intervention required.

Bottom line, I seem to be stuck with legacy MD until the Edirol or like unit can do fast playback of MP3s on removable media. Or if Sony gives us some good pro Hi-MD gear.