Hi-MD, Bye-MD?

Christopher

Update from Malaysia:

MD is axed in Malaysia because of lack of market, according to a Sony Style store employee. No recoders or players will be made available anymore, but media will still be available for as long as it's being manufactured.

I got the impression that other markets where MD is more popular will still carry models, but since the fellow is just a sales-level store employee I'd take that with a grain of salt. Still, it seems that it's not completely over for Minidisc in Malaysia, not as long as media is available here and units in other markets.

Don't know, if it has benn posted before, but:

For those, who want to stock up get here a RH910, a stereo mic and 6 HiMD-blanks.

All for 299 bucks.

(Streetprice might be lower)

Dunnow about that package - who needs 6 HiMD blanks? It makes more sense to upload your recorded music to the computer when you're done, and then delete what you have on the disk.

A better deal is the RH910 going for $160, check froogle.com. It might be time to stock up on an extra one!

Hi-MD poorly marketed? Sony's marketing is awesome. "Sony" is one of the most well-considered brands, survery after survey confirms this. Let's face it, MD is just is too much of a niche item. For your average person who just wants to listen to some music, there's no reason to go with MD over a normal MP3 player. The best marketing in the world can't get around this.

And Sony releasing music players that are even more expensive is a CRAZY idea. Definitely their problem is that they're too expensive already. You can get away with that some when you're considered the premium brand, but iPod is the market leader, and they're cheaper as well.

Hi-MD poorly marketed? Sony's marketing is awesome. "Sony" is one of the most well-considered brands, survery after survey confirms this. Let's face it, MD is just is too much of a niche item. For your average person who just wants to listen to some music, there's no reason to go with MD over a normal MP3 player. The best marketing in the world can't get around this.

himd & md were poorly marketed. sony as a brand or concept is very well maintained. very diff. things.

Dunnow about that package - who needs 6 HiMD blanks?

Me!

* hops around frantically waving *

It makes more sense to upload your recorded music to the computer when you're done, and then delete what you have on the disk.

Sure, but when using PCM, a disk is full in 90 minutes.

And a decent rehearsal session could take a lot longer than that.

So having a few extra discs is recommended.

A better deal is the RH910 going for $160, check froogle.com. It might be time to stock up on an extra one!

As I said, streetprice might be lower. Comparing is always recommended.

Btw, bundles had been quite successful in the past.

Hi-MD poorly marketed? Sony's marketing is awesome.

* Keels over, laughing like a hyena on nitrous oxide *

Sorry, but there is more necessary than a few nice pics on the website.

Then the chaos here in Europe, Sony doesn't even manages to distribute all models in the core european countries.

"Sony" is one of the most well-considered brands, survery after survey confirms this. Let's face it, MD is just is too much of a niche item.

Not necessarily, but MD is practically invisible here. And if you don't tell anyone, what you have, noone will buy it.

For your average person who just wants to listen to some music, there's no reason to go with MD over a normal MP3 player. The best marketing in the world can't get around this.

Why not? MD, and especially HiMD is a decent MP3-player as well.

Offer the choice and let the customer decide.

But when the customer doesn't know...

And Sony releasing music players that are even more expensive is a CRAZY idea. Definitely their problem is that they're too expensive already. You can get away with that some when you're considered the premium brand, but iPod is the market leader, and they're cheaper as well.

iPods aren't that cheap either.

But why is iPod the market leader?

Because everytime a new one is released, there is a massive campaign going on.

Visibility in the media is the keyword here.

This summer when some of my friends -who are musicians and old Md users- saw my brand new MZ-DH10P, they were amazed and very interested: they just not even know HI-Md exists! they were enthousiasted by this all-in-one "removable HD" unit and as old MD users happy to see it still alive. But I looked deception on their faces when they realized it has no mic/line input.

Sony,to make an Ipod killer, make a real all in one "Photo-video-line/mic input " himd unit.

AND ADVERTISE IT! SO MUCH PEOPLE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IT EXISTS!

Yep. I thought the camera idea was a gimmic at first, but after a bit, it began to sink in. This is a really nice idea for tourists and such, IF only it has a mic input to record field notes. As it was designed you might as well carry a regular camera and a regular minidisc unit to snap photos and record your voice information. I would have even forgiven Sony if they hadn't included optical and line in options. BUT, the lack of a mic jack really hobbled an otherwise FINE IDEA!!! Unfortunetly, as businesses do, they will drop the idea due to poor sales versus updating the machine and making it into what is should have been. :blink:

himd & md were poorly marketed. sony as a brand or concept is very well maintained. very diff. things.

I agree completely. I have seen plenty of Sony commericals. "Like no other..." is pretty common on TV,radio, and print, but I have only seen two MD commercials (MD and NetMD): one from Japan with Hamasaki Ayumi and another one with a drive-thru setting in Australia. NOTHING in the U.S. and I have been using MD since my first MZ-R70.

Joe

The first one has never been realized,

one of the Vaio HD-based players comes close to it.

vaio? is that not a car unit?

The final version often looks very different.

And in regard to the DH10 we should be glad,

the final version looks much better than the concept.

but the dh10 has no optical zoom , nor good fash light!

I'm just waiting for the first round of reviews and hopefully a price drop on the M-Audio Microtrack before I buy mine. I had high hopes for HI-MD but Sony never really seemed to court the musician market the way M-Audio is doing.

By the way, I saw 1GB CF cards advertised in todays paper for $49.

...BUT WHY????

I just ask myself and I can't understand.. they are killing one of the best things they did!!!!!!!!!!! I can't understand!!

Sony like many big corporations wants high dollar returns. They developed perhaps the greatest digital audio format Super Audio Compact Disc (SACD) and in less than 5 years abandoned it completely. Thankfully it remains in the hand of small audio driven companies. MD has had a good run unfortunately even though I feel differently it never caught on with the listening public, it has remained a product more for the recording hobbyist. Even though I don't do live recording, I much preferred it the Ipod and it relatives. I don't trust hard drives. I like the ability to record directly using a line in and not being a slave to a computer. I never found the dislike of sonicstage that many have. I was hopping that the next generation would allow the use of a lossless format. It doesn't really surprise me that the run is over this last generation was non-existent in the brick and mortar store. Is Sony really surprised that it's sales were very poor when nothing can be found in the local retailers.

And regarding a petition; I support that. We should at least try to voice our opinions.

well, I've started something like it overhere... but at this moment it is more to assemble a bunch of stuff/ideas so we have it handy when the official announcement comes

Right now there's a very slim chance that Hi-MD may even see a third generation

Who cares if there's another generation? As long as Hi-MD can't be used effectively as a digital recorder, MiniDisc is dead.

If Sony's DRM allowed my recordings to be uploaded more than once, I'd already own one of the new Hi-MD units and I'd be a big proponent. When Sony, through its DRM, tells me that I can't control my own material, it's time to say goodbye.

Someday a 1GB flash memory card will cost less than today's MiniDisc. Now's the time for digital recorders that are not hobbled by DRM, even if they cost more.

Will

If Sony's DRM allowed my recordings to be uploaded more than once, I'd already own one of the new Hi-MD units and I'd be a big proponent. When Sony, through its DRM, tells me that I can't control my own material, it's time to say goodbye

please, check the latest state of the software before you vent your ideas as since SS3.2 it is possible to upload your own reocrdings as many times as you want and you can rip your CD's without DRM and since SS3.0 you can convert your own recordings to DRM-free wav's... so your gripes have been solved

I think you've been out of the loop, mate. You can upload unlimited times now with Sonicstage 3.2.

I plead nolo contendre. Last week, a post I read on another forum mentioned multiple uploads but I was unable to confirm it with either the poster or at Sony's site. I plead guilty to not coming here first.

Can anyone point me to Sony documentation to this effect?

Yes, I was venting. Felt good, too!

Thanks.

Will

Does anybody have Ms. Stringer's e-mail ((stringer@sony.com)?? just a guess), perhaps a mass e-mailing to sony showing the dedication of the people that love theses units, maybe there can be a turnaroung.

Personally I don't see anything else that fits my needs as perfectly as the MD, don't trust a small hard drive, and flash is too expensive.

The ideal thing would be for Sony to open up the rights to Hi-MD and let the party begin

Hoping for continuance, and thanks for the e-mail Chris

Bob

Sad news to come.

how did it happen that they do not realize how much money they can make with minidisc?

Why they stopped marketing internationally MD products other than portable in 2001 already?

Coudn't they sell some in international markets? Even if they thought they would have dropped off the format, they would have made tons of money.

There's something that sounds fishy here. Something we'll never know about...

BUT: What if we prepare a LONG LONG letter packed with signatures just to let Sony Know HOW MANY we are?

It's a lose-lose situation for end uers - a company won't keep making things they can't sell. There's no choice sometimes, you gotta keep up with the changing world.

Besides, aren't we all missing something?

Back in the day, I chose MD over CDRs since it is much more comfertable and "logical", if you will.

I ain't up for no gonna-break-if-I-drop it HD players and I'm sure that the 3 MD units I have (no HiMD yet, or ever) will last me a good time before they all poop out on me.

And by then we'll have efficient flash players wich are, wether you like it or not - exremely comforable and more userfriendly than recording changing MDs all day long.

MD is a fine piece of tecnology and it was great for it's time but life is ever evolving and you gotta get with the times.

The only advantage MD really has as of now is bettery life - and that won't laste forever.

I say we keep collecting till it's all gone and then we got ourselfs a fine piece of history rather than a market with just a handfull of people.

Edited by motaboy

Someday a 1GB flash memory card will cost less than today's MiniDisc. Now's the time for digital recorders that are not hobbled by DRM, even if they cost more.

I think that along with MD, portable audio with removable media, will die. There are practically no MP3-players which runs on removable flash. Every thing is integrated flash or HDD, and I don't see that changing. Most people see cassettes/CDs as a hassle and like their iTunes musiclibraries and iPods.

Add that HiMD's still costs a fraction of flash-based solutions.

Edited by Breepee2

well, this bye-MD things is pretty sad. The Hi-MD format is a great idea.

I think that Sony's brains just need to visit this forum and read all the features-requests posts then apply them, and the Hi-MD would be one of the best recorders/players around, not only for those die-hard fans but for a lot of people that never heard about it.

Also with all those limitations about recording/uploading/downloading/and formats etc. there's a lot of misinformation around, a lot of people is asking for things that weren't alowed in the 1st gen that are in today's, sadly it's not just ignorance, it's also sony's fault.

And come on, 1GB for less than US$10? that's unbeatable. Most of the people just want a goddamned MP3 player, give the people that goddamned MP3 (drag & drop w/o wrapping, etc..) plus the other features and formats (used by pro's etc.) and you'll have a great product.

There's no need to talk about the advantages of Hi-MD, but SONY must listed! oooh SONY!

And you know what?... i think i'll be happy if they bye-bye Hi-MD, cause i hate SONY for being such a idiot about'em.

PD: If MD disappear, what if going to happen with this community? hey!, i know i don't post too much, but this place rulez!...

PD: If MD disappear, what if going to happen with this community? hey!, i know i don't post too much, but this place rulez!...

well, Sony may stop caring, but MDCF sure won't :P I for one will keep providing advice to the best of my knowledge, as long as I have a working HiMD device near me... and by the time it dies, this forum will become flash-based-super-recorder-community-forums (or FBSRCF for short :lol: )

Very sad to see minidisc on the way out ca. one year after presentation of Hi-MD, 7 years after my first MD device. To criticize Sony is more and more to easy, their mistakes to obvious. I like the idea of a new, more focused Sony, but they should always remember how they lost the Minidiscformat year by year - sad that this lesson had to be so hard (read: Listen to your users, Sony) to gain attention -_-

But hey, a look at your MD-Device always makes you smile again, doesn't it? ;)

I think that along with MD, portable audio with removable media, will die. There are practically no MP3-players which runs on removable flash. Every thing is integrated flash or HDD, and I don't see that changing. Most people see cassettes/CDs as a hassle and like their iTunes musiclibraries and iPods.

Well, personally i've been looking for mp3-player with removable memory. There are some but i just think they are not good enough for me to buy'em. Most of them only support 512 modules when you can find upto 2gb so that sucks. The flash integrated sucks, you buy a 1gb flash memory that you would have to erase everytime you want to listen a new stuff?... but am i going to pay for a 50GB mp3 player to carry all my music which would be sooner or later to big for it to fit in the 50GB?...unless it's a 200gb it will endup being just another flash integrated player.

For me, removable, resistant and cheap media with a nice capacity it's just perfect, 1gb, 2gb it's still a very good capacity for removable media.

asi que viva el Hi-Minidisc coño!

well, Sony may stop caring, but MDCF sure won't :P I for one will keep providing advice to the best of my knowledge, as long as I have a working HiMD device near me... and by the time it dies, this forum will become flash-based-super-recorder-community-forums (or FBSRCF for short :lol: )

jajajajajajajaja! you're crazy!... do we have to register that domain www.flash-based-super-recorder-community-forums.com?

thanks !

I think Sony have real problems in the portable music market if they deccide to drop the one really unique product that they have, ok maybe minidisc could never now be mass market...but it is very Sony and they can be proud of it....As far as a device for listening to music/audio is concerned, the HD players are now as good as they need to be and, ANY 2 BIT CHINESE KNOCK OFF SHOP will soon be banging out HD and flash players (take a look on E-Bay) for very little money

How can Sony justify charging a premium price for a flash player that cant possibly be (or is only slightly) better than a "yokomsushika electronics workshops inc" version....ie same samsung memory chip, same Li-ion battery, same MP3 decoder chip.

I would still pay a good chunk of cash for an advanced Hi-Md player....ie bigger capacity, ideally 2/3 GB...proper MP3 support and no DRM....but there is no way I would pay top price for a Sony MP3 flash device over one of the thousands of much cheaper alternatives

SONY PLEASE THINK AGAIN (unless you have a really inventive alternative to minidisc which is distinctively different of )course

Most people see cassettes/CDs as a hassle

But not for professional use. After I make a recording (my own material), I don't reuse the MD but rather store it as a permanent archive. That's the huge advantage of inexpensive, removable media like MD. I do the same thing with my MiniDV tapes -- use the content I need, stick the tape on the shelf in case I ever need the original again.

If I migrated to a flash- or HDD-based solution, I'd want to copy the material in digital form and without any lost of fidelity to an archival CD. Inexpensive removable media thus saves a time-consuming step in the archival process.

Will

Unfortunately it is a fact that the minidisc-technology is just unsuccesfull..

The people on this forum probably all have a MD but nowadays Ipods and other mass-storage equipment are much more popular but you know what? My MZ-N510 is my companion for life ya know, i have a lot of md's with the dopest music and i'll keep using it till it explodes :D

there's only one problem, my remote control is broken and they don't sell it separately in stores. sony just sucks ass

but ok that was my comment check ya lata

Edited by paaseiland2

If we are ready to switch to another format, this is what they want us to do.

Me, personally will not substitute MD with today's crap like built-in memory MP3 players.

The only thing can substitute MD is a player/recorder which uses *replaceable* flash memory instead of MD.

I can hardly fancy how will *professional musicians* react to this, given that there are virtually no hard disk portable recorders in sight (am I right?)

They will be the professional category more hit by this...

Only Britney Spears and the likes (all marketing and hype - no music) will continue to thrive...

O alas...

It's not just Sony. I'm dating myself, but years ago I threw a bunch of money into the Apple II computer with loads of software. Apple decided one day to drop the line and drop support. I have never bought another Apple product since (and hope I never do). Companies lose sight of the fact that by betraying customers, they can lose them for life.

I love the MD format, but I agree, Sony has never done a good job of promoting it. (Unfortunately, Apple beats them hands down on that count.)