Battery Box > MZ-NH1 (Line-In) only 4 bars at 30/30

Rate this topic

emptyzero

My apologies if this belongs in the live recordings forum, please move it there if it does.

Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L --> PA-6LC2 --> Sony MZ-NH1 Hi-MD (Line-In)

at 30/30 I'm only getting 4 bars while recording live music. The batt box I have only takes one AA and I am using Sony rechargables. Someone suggested using an alkaline AA instead of a rechargable to see if that helps. I make sure the batteries (set of two) are charged before a show and I only need one for the batt box and I make sure I'm in the manaual recording setting. I did buy some "Duracell Ultra" AAs that are made to give juice to digital cameras (so are these sony rechargables) thinking they might help but haven't tried them yet since I punked out on going to Sleepytime last night. Any help is appreciated.

John

My apologies if this belongs in the live recordings forum, please move it there if it does.

Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L --> PA-6LC2 --> Sony MZ-NH1 Hi-MD (Line-In)

at 30/30 I'm only getting 4 bars while recording live music. The batt box I have only takes one AA and I am using Sony rechargables. Someone suggested using an alkaline AA instead of a rechargable to see if that helps. I make sure the batteries (set of two) are charged before a show and I only need one for the batt box and I make sure I'm in the manaual recording setting. I did buy some "Duracell Ultra" AAs that are made to give juice to digital cameras (so are these sony rechargables) thinking they might help but haven't tried them yet since I punked out on going to Sleepytime last night. Any help is appreciated.

John

I'm thinking the AA is for the battery box myself. What type of music are you recording? the line-in already creates a quieter recording than using the mic-in. If you're recording soft sounds/concerts, a preamp might be better than a batt. box. Also, what type of recording settings are you using? The mic sensitivity could also play a part too......

As you propably know, the DSM-6S/L are low sensitive mics with their -64dBv±2 at 94dB SPL sensitivity rating, so they're significantly less sensitive than what the averave folk uses. Your best bet is propably to skip the battery box / line-in at all and use the mics directy in the mic-in jack. All (Hi)MD recorders are capable to power electret microphones ('plug in power'), so there's no additional external powering necessary. Sonic Studios encourages the use of plug in power. Use the low sensitivity setting from the 'mic sens' menu. Your levels should be in the normal range without having to use the highest level setting.

Visit Sonic Studios' site about DSM mic models:

http://www.sonicstudios.com/dsm.htm

...and powering microphones:

http://www.sonicstudios.com/pa_x.htm

Although these sites seem chaotic at a first glance, there's quite some information hidden between the lines.

If it's not too much effort, please share some clips in the gallery, i'd like to know what these mics sound like.

hello, a real quick post from work...the battery box is from sonic studios, it is external and did not come with the deck and I am using the low sensitivity setting. I tape a lot of loud 'rock' bands. I'm going to try the mic-in tonight. I do appreciate everyones input and would like to post more but I need to get back to work. :) I'll be back in a day or two...heading to a show after work tonight and won't be around afterwards...