Using MDs with Hi-MD units

Rate this topic

ceekaydc

Hi, I just got an RH10 unit recently and experimenting with transferring my old MD collections to Hi-MD.

I was using a 74min disc that contained recordings using my old MD MZ-R30. Formatted the disc using Sonicstage to Hi-MD, proceeded with recording with RH10. An error occured at the end, the "data saving" took much longer and the disc remained blank. Repeated this a few times and the same happened.

I thought the disc was faulty (first encounter!). Took another disc with MD recordings, used the RH10 to reformat. Disc checked out fine. Started recording...bam! Error saving. The RH10 was locked in this loop, couldnt stop, couldnt disconnect from USB. Couldn't open case. In the end I yanked out the USB cable, pulled out the battery. Finally got the disc out. Reloading the same disc, it was empty.

I decided to reformat the disc using Sonicstage to MD, put the disc into the old R30. Tried recording a CD via optical input. Disc was still empty at the end of the recording.

Anyone experience this? Now I have 2 useless 74min, which I will probably take apart for fun.

Hi, I had similar problem with my NH1 with standard MDs formatted to HiMD, the recording was corrupted and it said "AuFileErr". I can't remeber exactly now, but i think it only happened with HiSP mode. But one day on a concert I was made some recordings on HiMD disc in PCM, and after pressing STOP , the disc didn't stop, until i removed power. The disc was totally empty, i examined its contents byte for byte and all were zero.

At the service, they told me it is faulty board and gave me new unit. It's about a half a year, the device seems to be well.

M>

Anyone experience this? Now I have 2 useless 74min, which I will probably take apart for fun.

No, haven't had this before.

I suggest, before using it with SonicStage, that you format the disc in the RH10.

Menue -> EDIT -> FORMAT -> OK -> Press JogDial.

Try this with the dead discs as well.

If it blanks out more discs instead of recording, I suggest to return the RH10 for Service or exchange.

I had absolutely no problems using standard discs in my NH700 ( has the same laser block )

Yep, even Memorex discs...

Hi again.

Thanks for all the replies.

Did a bit more experimenting. Tried what jadeclaw suggested again.

After using the RH10 to format the disc, I did a sync record of a 20 track CD. After the CD stopped, there only 18 tracks on the MD, and track 18 was only a partial recording.

I tried to record another track (sync record). It started recording all to the end. Stopped the recording and the RH10 went into "Data Save" mode....for more than 5 mins. Quietly purring. Press STOP...nothing....Press all buttons...no response. Tried ejecting...it was locked. Finally pulled out the battery.

I put the disc back and only the initial 18 tracks were there.

Took out a unused 74 min MD. Did a sync record of the same CD...Twice. All the tracks recorded....almost 40 tracks...last few of the 2nd group were cut off due to lack of space. Play back fine too.

Actually I have not had problems with unused standard MDs so far for recording or data storage. Its only these 2 that had recordings from the old R30 unit that gave problem. Not a big problem since I am keeping my other recordings and will only use unused blanks.

BTW the 2 problem discs are Sony 74 mins. The other standard MDs are TDK 74 and Sony 60.

Sorry for the long post. Thought I would share my experience.