Need advice in Senn PX-200

Rate this topic

sebastianbf

Hi everyone.

I want to buy some portable headphones for using with my mznh900. I think I'll buy the sennheiser's PX200 , but first I want to read some reviews from people who owns or has tried this headphones. Anyones who owns a pair? Your experience with them?

Thanks for your time ^_^

Edited by sebastianbf

I have the Sennheiser PX100. When I got them I also tried the PX 200 and I thought the PX100 sounded better.

The PX200 have cushions that sit on your ear and are supposed to lessen outside noise, but I felt they sounded hollow. The PX100 are open air--they let in all outside noise by design--but that also makes them sound richer.

I'm very happy with the PX100s--comfortable and clear sounding, and you forget you're wearing them. Before them I had Koss Portapros, which are also comfortable, but the Koss by comparison have a bloated bass sound.

For real isolation, you're better off with earbuds.

Most seem to prefer to PX100, though my choice is PX200, although I also have the PX100. The latter leak too much sound for me. In a quiet environment they seem quite similar sounding, however you may have to adjust the positioning on your ears carefully on the PX200 to get the best seal and avoid that 'hollow' effect.

Neither the PX100 or 200 are naturally bass oriented, but they do respond well to EQ'ing. I find they (particularly the PX200) excel at accoustic/classical/jazz, as they do well in the upper and mid range, but I use them for everything. They (PX200) are the only headphones I use now in portable mode...

not really advice, but something to think about...

I was thinking of buying the PX100 at one time, but then I realized that it wasn't really practical for ppl with hair longer than a few mm's to wear an over-the-head phone, unless you do not mind having the strange dent in the middle...

as I listen to MD on the train to uni/work etc. I can't really use it, as my out of bed look is sloppy enough without a big dent in the middle :lol:

so call me vain :P but for aestethic reasons, I limited my search to bud/canalphones

not really advice, but something to think about...

I was thinking of buying the PX100 at one time, but then I realized that it wasn't really practical for ppl with hair longer than a few mm's to wear an over-the-head phone, unless you do not mind having the strange dent in the middle...

as I listen to MD on the train to uni/work etc. I can't really use it, as my out of bed look is sloppy enough without a big dent in the middle :lol:

so call me vain :P but for aestethic reasons, I limited my search to bud/canalphones

:lol:

what you say makes sense, really (my hair is a little long). But I'm kind of disapointed with earbuds quality construction (obviously not expensive ones). I bought a pair of mdrex71s twon months ago. Now, the cable is melt and I'm asking for a refund. So... I don't think I will buy another pair of earphones in a long time.

Thanks for your advice ^_^

• 4 weeks later...

i use the px200 almost everyday. they sound great for all types of music and have good isolation. sennheiser did an awesome job of making such small closed headphones. theyre on the top of my compact headphone list.

Well, for the benefit of those reading this forum to find out what all the hype about the PX100s is, I must say that I have simply been blown away on a "value for money" scale with my new Senns.

For the size (they collapse down if you can figure out how to do it ... :blink: ) into a small carrying case, and when you wear them it is quite easy to forget you have them on.

My other phones (The Technics) are also nice sounding phones - in fact there doesn't seem to be much of a difference - possibly the Technics have a bit more "bottom end" - but they are pretty bulky.

According to the UK supplier I bought my PX100s from, Sennheiser are achieving unprecedented sales of these units as I had to wait over a month before they came into stock, but the wait was worthwhile, and I am "chuffed to bits" with their performance, and they didn't cost the earth either.

No doubt the PX200s probably have the edge but if you remember over the head lightweight phones from the early days of the cassette Walkman, then forget it - these babies really do sound great [iMHO!!]

Yep, the PX100 do sound great and are very comfy to wear for extended periods. But because of their open design (they let in a lot of ambient noise) and low efficiency (they don't get particularly loud), if you are in a relatively noisy environment you can find yourself turning the volume way up and still not hearing your tunes the way you'd like.

I've never tried the PX200s. But, for my own comparison purposes, I'm sitting here in my quiet home office. I'm listening to Down The Old Plank Road - The Nashville Sessions (The Chieftains with various bluegrass and country artists). With the PX100s I need to drive them at about 20/30. Same music with my Shure E3c's and I need to ramp the volume down to about 11/30 for approximately the same comfortable listening level. And that's with no ambient noise.

I still have and use the PX100s, but for train, bus or air travel (or if I want to zero out all other noise around here including the telephone and, occasionally, the Spousal Unit :lol: ) I plug in the Shures and nothing else gets through.

• 3 weeks later...

Only true IEM like shures are truely isolating, and its a characteristic of all IEM 's that you use less volume. However ambient noise is sometimes required, if you are commuting, or in an office etc. Which is why I rarely use my in ear Panasonics.

What way is the cord on the PX100? I prefer asymetrical but the Senn MX500 earbuds I have are symetrical.

What way is the cord on the PX100? I prefer asymetrical but the Senn MX500 earbuds I have are symetrical.

The cord on PX100s is symmetrical . . .

. . . shame my ears aren't! :lol::D

(Of course the headband is adjustable though! :wacko: )