Sony's new solid state recorder

Rate this topic

rirsa

Pitty I won't be spending $2,000 on a recorder!!! :P

Yeah, but maybe this is them entering the solid state recorder market in a splashy way (take a look at the pics). I think we'll see other products at cheaper price points. In the last year this market really heated up. They are competing with other solid state (and HD) recorders from Marantz, HHB, Nagra, Tascam, M-Audio, Edirol, Sound Devices, and a few others besides that hit a variety of different price/feature/quality price points between sub $400 all the way up to several thousand.

If nothing else this is an acknowledgement by Sony that this is where the action is now.

Yeah, but maybe this is them entering the solid state recorder market in a splashy way (take a look at the pics). I think we'll see other products at cheaper price points. In the last year this market really heated up. They are competing with other solid state (and HD) recorders from Marantz, HHB, Nagra, Tascam, M-Audio, Edirol, Sound Devices, and a few others besides that hit a variety of different price/feature/quality price points between sub $400 all the way up to several thousand.

If nothing else this is an acknowledgement by Sony that this is where the action is now.

There wasn't that much competition (with PCM quality) under $400 (apart from HiMD and refurbished Creative Jukebox 3). I was looking at M-Audio and Edirol offers, but found them still a bit expensive for my current budget.

I hope they have very good specs for this price tag ...

There wasn't that much competition (with PCM quality) under $400 (apart from HiMD and refurbished Creative Jukebox 3). I was looking at M-Audio and Edirol offers, but found them still a bit expensive for my current budget.

I hope they have very good specs for this price tag ...

Core Sound sells the M-Audio for $369 although I'd wait until M-audio get the bugs worked out of the firmware. If you are on a tight budget MD is still hard to beat. What will drive Sony, however, is the fact that they are losing a decent-sized chunk of their market for MD recorders to solid state recorders. There is a huge market for recorders to record meetings, conferences, legal proceedings, interviews for broadcast, interviews for educational/research purposes etc. A lot of those people used to use MD but many have been moving onto the Marantz and simliar gear for a while now. No one wants to mess with DRM and Sonicstage when they need to get the audio transferred so it can be transcribed, edited, etc. A few years ago it was either $200 for MD, $700 for DAT (also Sony) or $1400 for the cheapest solid state recorders (or if you were into kludges, stuff like the JB3). But the price difference is now trivial for most of these users and easily made up elsewhere. There are at least three widely available solid state recorders that can be bought for well under $500. The Sony MZ-M100, their Hi-MD recorder for "broadcast and business" users, is $400. Even if you add in cost for CF cards etc. the difference isn't significant.

Nice to see M-Audio a bit cheaper that i was thinking, but with import duty to Europe, well, i will probably also wait a bit ...

I've seen the picture now. It look nice, but it is much more expensive than HiMD, probably doesn't fit in the pocket ... There are pro users who could be interested, but that's a different market segment than HiMD.

I wonder about the inputs/outputs of the PCM-D1, which are not listed (yet).

It looks like a remote control, doesn't it?

I don't see why the mics are built in with such a fixed configuration. They add considerably to the size of the unit, and anyone spending this kind of money on a recorder is probably going to want to use serious outboard mics anyway.

Are you supposed to hold the thing in your hand while you record? Find a cushioned place to put it? I doubt there's much stereo separation either.

But sure, I want one.

i just saw this on the net

http://aes.harmony-central.com/119AES/Cont.../PR/PCM-D1.html

it looks like a piece of expensive crap

but i think this is where sony is heading as far as recorders are concerned, flash memory and i dont thinks it supports ATRAC, just PCM

with a RRP of 2000 dollars it fairly useless for me

and its made from titanium, imagine a titanium MD, that could have been something

It's built-in mics in XY configuration, but agreed, at this price, there are several users who would prefer phantom power output and plug their own mics.

There are already 3 posts on this unit, maybe we should merge the comments ?

:o

That "Razor" thing looks like some horrible gizmo in a 1940's science fiction movie. Even the most dedicated "must have" gizmo fanatic inhabiting "Chav Central " would hate this one.

Video on the move has been pushed around ever since the early 1950's -- once the initial enthousiasm wears off people really don't want to watch video on those tiny screens -- the minimum practical screen size for watching movies are those smallish portable DVD players . Watching video / tv on a tiny mobile phone screen will never IMO really take off.

Mind you the person who designed "The Razor" really needs to go back to school again -- UGLY, UGLY, UGLY.

Cheers

-K

If you are going to spend that sort of money the new Nagra is supposedly under a $1000.

http://www.nagraaudio.com/pro/index.php. And for $2400 you can have a Sound Devices 722.

And that Razor thingee, Olympus does low-end solid state voice recorders better and cheaper.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/...alrecorders.asp

A lot of the newer Olympus gear records using 44.1KHz stereo WMA at 64kbps or 128kbps with frequency sensitivty up to 17kHz. In their gear Sony uses all sorts of weird much more compressed formats with low sample rates. LPEC, TRS, ICS? Ugh.

The PCM-D1 article stated it takes a "removable Memory Stick Pro"... should that have read "removable Hi-MD disc"??

Now that would be the real kicker!

So let us introduce yet ANOTHER format... MSP (mem stick pro). :wacko:

This isn't a new format. The MemoryStickPro is available since some time.

Problem: The original MemoryStick has a 128MB limit. The Pro-version is the answer to that.