MZ-NH900 says all discs are Protected

Rate this topic

reprosser

I have had intermittent problems with the HiMD disc that came with the unit. Somtimes it would work, and sometimes it would be "protected". I was able to use it after putting tape over the area that is checked by the sensor. (kind of like the old cassette tapes)

I just purchased a number of HiMD discs, and the player says they are all protected (regardless of tab postion) until I put some tape on them.

I contacted Sony and explained the problem, and they say there is no problem with this model (mine is a "rare instance", as they described it). This does not seem to match the comments I have seen on the net and this forum.

After verifying the tab position, and removing and replacing the battery??, they suggested that I send in the unit for repair - using the return webpage. There is a $29 fee to have the unit replaced with a refurbished unit. :o

For $30, I can keep putting tape on the disc - plus I won't be without the unit while it is in for repair.

There is no indication on the website that they would ship the refurbished unit and allow me to ship the defective unit back in the shipping materials. Anyone know if this option is available ?

Anyone had any better luck with resolving the problem ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, this sounds like a problem I was having too, after a bit of time I figured out what my problem was, maybe the solution will help you too.

I was getting the same messages, intermittently, disc is protected, and looking at the protect slider, it was not protected. sometimes it would not come up with the message and recording was possible, but more times than not, I was getting the protected disc message.

It turned out to be my internal gumstick battery, not sure if it is defective or not, I got 2 official sony gumstick batteries,, the higher capacity mw14, and what was happening was, and still does, is the battery would swell slightly during the charging process. The two large rectangular sides of the battery would show a slight bulging along the center, if charged inside the unit, the swelling would go unnoticed, and did for many weeks.... it bulged so much that it required needle nosed pliers to remove it from the MD machine battery compartment. So what was happening inside was the battery was pushing the sides of the battery compartment outwards from the inside, and being just adjacent to the disc sensor switches, this pushing out was enough to cause the switches to be closer to the disc than they should normally be, I know that it would make more sense for this to happen if the switch were moved away from the disc, perhaps overtravel in actuating the switch causes it to go to an incorrect state, anyway, what I do know for sure is that when I put a battery in that would slide into the battery compartment easily, as it should, the problem with the protected disc message was gone. I also found that I could gently press the the bulge out of the sides of the battery by gently squeezing it in a small bench vise, and the battery would again slide easily into the compartment and I no longer would get the protected disc message. Hope this helps...

It turned out to be my internal gumstick battery, not sure if it is defective or not, I got 2 official sony gumstick batteries,, the higher capacity mw14, and what was happening was, and still does, is the battery would swell slightly during the charging process.

How common is battery swelling, and is this more common in particular battery models? Yikes.

After reading your post, I tried to remove the battery from my 900 (I too am suffering from this "rare" problem). Unbelievably, I also had to resort to plyers to remove the battery (which was destroyed in the process). I then plugged it in, grabbed a standard MD (w/ no tape), hit record, and voila! - I can now record w/ no problem. Of course, I destroyed a $25 battery in the process.

Edited by mmp64

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, this sounds like a problem I was having too, after a bit of time I figured out what my problem was, maybe the solution will help you too.

I was getting the same messages, intermittently, disc is protected, and looking at the protect slider, it was not protected. sometimes it would not come up with the message and recording was possible, but more times than not, I was getting the protected disc message.

It turned out to be my internal gumstick battery, not sure if it is defective or not, I got 2 official sony gumstick batteries,, the higher capacity mw14, and what was happening was, and still does, is the battery would swell slightly during the charging process. The two large rectangular sides of the battery would show a slight bulging along the center, if charged inside the unit, the swelling would go unnoticed, and did for many weeks.... it bulged so much that it required needle nosed pliers to remove it from the MD machine battery compartment. So what was happening inside was the battery was pushing the sides of the battery compartment outwards from the inside, and being just adjacent to the disc sensor switches, this pushing out was enough to cause the switches to be closer to the disc than they should normally be, I know that it would make more sense for this to happen if the switch were moved away from the disc, perhaps overtravel in actuating the switch causes it to go to an incorrect state, anyway, what I do know for sure is that when I put a battery in that would slide into the battery compartment easily, as it should, the problem with the protected disc message was gone. I also found that I could gently press the the bulge out of the sides of the battery by gently squeezing it in a small bench vise, and the battery would again slide easily into the compartment and I no longer would get the protected disc message. Hope this helps...

hi reprosser..

why dont you try removing the gum stick and using the player with only the dry battery compartment..

if the problem stops then u will know for sure that the gumstick is causing it...then you wont have to send it back...and u can save your money...