Problem recording with optical in on MZ-NH1

Rate this topic

cool_hand

I've had my MZ-NH1 about 6 months. I made some initail recording using the optical so I could get auto track marks - and they worked absolutely fine. I ahvn't made any recording for a while, but last week decided to record (using optical in) some new music off CD. First CD recorded fine. The next CD which has about 15 tracks on it recorded the first 4 or 5 tracks and then just stopped recording for no reason. Then I tried to record a DJ mix CD which I'd downloaded off the net (this had only 1 track, which is around 70 mins long), basically recording starts fien - but about 30 minutes into the recording the NH1 stops recording for no reason. I don't know if there's a problem with my recorder or the problem is with the disks I'm trying to reocrd from? i reformatted the Hi-MD incase there was a problem there.

Has anyone else had this sort of problem - any advice please. Do I need to send it back under warranty or am i just doing something wrong?

You might want to check out this thread. We're talking about the same issue, although I don't think anyone's used optical recording...

Hi,

That sounds like the same problem. The machine just stops recording. It seems to be happening after I've recorded 50 minutes of music or so. In other words I recorded one CD fine and then trying to record the next one it just stops after about 5 minutes. I reformatted the disc but the problem is basically as before. I know for sure now it is a problem with the NH1. I have the NH1 plugged into the power supply so I don't think this can be a battery problem. Plus this a very new machine so I think it's unlikley to have abattery problem so soon! The link you gave me didn't really answer the problem.

I am going to try recording with another HiMD disc. I am just wondering if it is a corrupt disc problem.

Thanks for your help. BTW: Did you send (or has anyone) ent the machine for repair, and if that fixed prob.?

I just took another used HiMD disk reformated it and so far have recorded 2 CD's no problem and I'm currently recording a 3rd with so far no problem.

It looks to me that the other disk became corrupt and even reformatting it does not fix the problem.

That's bad news if a disk that costs £5 becomes easily corrupt – maybe be I was just unlucky. Does anyone apart from SONY make HiMD blanks?

(And where can I get them cheaper than £5 in London?)

I do hope this is just a disk problem and not some weird problem with the NH1 which comes and goes as it feels like!

Edited by cool_hand

I just took another used HiMD disk reformated it and so far have recorded 2 CD's no problem and I'm currently recording a 3rd with so far no problem.

It looks to me that the other disk became corrupt and even reformatting it does not fix the problem.

That's bad news if a disk that costs £5 becomes easily corrupt – maybe be I was just unlucky. Does anyone apart from SONY make HiMD blanks?

(And where can I get them cheaper than £5 in London?)

I do hope this is just a disk problem and not some weird problem with the NH1 which comes and goes as it feels like!

I'm surprised at a Corrupt Disk problem -- I've been using Minidisc for YEARS and in all that time I've NEVER had a Disk failure with any make of Disk.

You could try and rescue it as follows.

1) connect the MD recorder to the PC IN DATA MODE

2) Use Windows explorer to format the disk (FAT)

3) write some files on it (cut and paste --windows explorer)

4) do this 2 or 3 times -- try to nearly fill the disk.

5) now quit Windows explorer

6) start up SS and Re-Initialize disk --- if it works then your disk should be fine.

Incidentally if the disk works in data mode on Windows then there is nothing wrong with the disk

it could be the original recording hosed it up somehow.

Cheers

-K

Hi 1Kyle,

I'm on a Mac, although I believe I can use the disk as a data disk through USB to!

I can't see what benefits you would have by putting some new data onto the disk and then formatting. Is'nt a reformat a reformat however you go about it?

The problem is only happening on the other disc, the new disc is perfectly fine for recording.

Also, as I'm on a Mac I can only get Sonic Stage to work under Virtual PC but it really is very, very slow.

I can't see why the NH1's internal formatting is it not up to standard!

Edited by cool_hand