Format's demise leads to Australia facing massive Minidisc liquidation.

Christopher

This stuff is imported under the same restrictions, nothing is manufactured in Australia, nothing is added by Minidisc Australia... If no rules were broken by Sony Australia then no rules will be broken now, it's not so much exporting as "redirecting". It would be a clear case. If it weren't for customs being involved. And the current terror scare...

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no update to the shipping for international (u.s.) orders? or is it a definite "no" at this point?

if there's no discount, there's still a drop in shipping by buying in bulk. right now, if you buy 5 to ship to the u.s. the shipping drops to about $40 instead of $70. maybe people want to arrange bulk orders? . . . maybe to the nyc area? :)

Thanks guys for your support.

I got some news with the international shipments.

The security with export is really strict, we have been forced to remove the batteries from each consignment to get them out of the country. I have been unable to find a resolution in solving this.

I have organized for the batteries to be sent out seperately via airmail which is proven to be less restrictive compared to EMS.

Now due to this ordeal we have halted international shipping until we can find a solution.

For the current international orders we will send them out without the battery and forward the battery out to you via airmail. But due to time restrictions we are unable to afford time to repack every order so until we find a resolution, international shipping will be halted.

Sorry guys, EMS is a real pain in the arse right now.

So does this mean orders that have already been dispatched last week and have a tracking number from EMS are going to be held up?

I ordered ten days ago, the 20-pack of Hi-MD discs I ordered was removed due to being out-of-stock and MD Aus not knowing when new should arrive.

The order was dispatched a week ago, then it was "delayed slightly" due to Airport Security stopping the shipment. Australia Post won't keep any packages at the airport, so they were returned to the sender. According to the tracking info "An attempt to deliver your item was made by the Sydney Contractor

delivery service at 10:06 on 05 Nov 2005. Addressee not available", according to MD Aus that was not correct and they got them back last Monday. The batteries were said to be okay, so the parcels went back Tuesday.

The tracking info showed " Your item arrived at the international processing centre in SYDNEY at 19:16 on 08 Nov 2005, and is ready for processing." But the packages were once again rejected, and now firmly and definitely. How they could talk by each other for several days I don't know. MD Aus have now removed the batteries and are shiopping them by Airmail hoping that will work. The "Tracking Info of the Day" is "Your item was transferred from SYDNEY at 20:55 on 09 Nov 2005 for international despatch scheduling" meaning it will probably be shipped tomorrow, if there are no dangerous cables or similar stopping the shipment this time.

In the meantime the Hi-MD discs arrived in stock a day ago... :wacko:

And all the time I have this situation hanging over me, that I might need to go to England for 2-3 months of work with just a couple of days notice, and my wife is right now on holiday in India. So the package may arrive with nobody home, and then probably returned to the sender. And of course I can't hope for not getting that job... -_-

Hey Sefu, so, you mentioned that EMS is really strict in exports right now, but that airmail may be a way to ship the batteries for those who have already ordered. So, couldn't you just ship the entire unit via airmail, for those who are willing to wait a little longer, to avoid the EMS red tape? I'd really appreciate if you could look into this option. Thanks! :D

The airmail route we taken was to ensure that our customers will get a battery with their unit, it is a one off thing to stop the delay.

Airmail is not a option for sending out units as it is not traceable, in the end it is a huge risk for us as we have no proof that our customers actually received the goods and can easily force a chargeback on us :(

The airmail route we taken was to ensure that our customers will get a battery with their unit, it is a one off thing to stop the delay.

Airmail is not a option for sending out units as it is not traceable, in the end it is a huge risk for us as we have no proof that our customers actually received the goods and can easily force a chargeback on us :(

So am I correct to assume this means it's not possible for U.S. customers to order?

Yeah, but it hasn't changed that text for three full days now... Maybe it means it has left Australia, maybe not. It doesn't seem it has been registered anywhere else, like Los Angeles or Singapore which would seem like two of the alternative places where my package could be put on a plane with a direction in the proximity of Sweden...

I'm lucky I have a friend from Australia and ordered my MZ-NHF800 and was delivered overnight. Wow excelent service! My friend said he might get the 10% GST refunded at the airport. Can't wait my new collection. ;)

BTW I ordered MZ-NH700 cause I don't listen much radio, but minidisc aust. said no stock until next week.

Long live MD!

I'm lucky I have a friend from Australia and ordered my MZ-NHF800 and was delivered overnight. Wow excelent service! My friend said he might get the 10% GST refunded at the airport. Can't wait my new collection. ;)

Gotta be a way to find someone over in Oz that would be kind enough to do the above for even a small fee?

Received my NH1 yesterday sans battery. Everything was in perfect working order. This was seriously a great deal. Thanks Sefu!

Well thats a confusing post. If your international that would make sense, since batteries are holding it up. But Sefu said that theres no international orders, so that would suggest your in AUS. If so why did you get it without a battery? :unsure:

How much is a battery for a NH1 anyway? :huh:

Well thats a confusing post. If your international that would make sense, since batteries are holding it up. But Sefu said that theres no international orders, so that would suggest your in AUS. If so why did you get it without a battery? :unsure:

How much is a battery for a NH1 anyway? :huh:

I'm in the US, but I ordered it almost two weeks ago and think I was in the first batch of resends without the battery. I guess the battery will arrive this week sometime. NH1 batteries are around $40-50 USD from AudioCubes. I already own an NH1 so I just used one of my spares to test everything.

Yes, Sefu wrote that he would go through with the orders where credit cards were already charged and they had tried to send the packages. They get extra work and cost by having to open all bundles, removing the batteries and sending them as airmail in a separate envelope. That's not something they want to keep on doing, so for now they are putting a hold on international orders.

Looks like my package is on its way then, despite the non-informative tracking info... :)

Your item is scheduled for delivery from LOCAL - 09:12 on 14 Nov 2005.

...and closer...

It will of course come when I'm out, but anyway... :blink:

Edit: My thinking was right, I was out (with our dog) when DHL arrived - but we chased him down :) and now the package is here...

Edited by tommypeters

Depends on how you employ it. I think that there was a time before HDD units that MD player only units made sense, but now such an ideal is fleeting. I could justify one scenario amongst a few, and that's if I was a live recording afficiando I could sample my recordings on the go (especially using a unit such as the EH70 and it's enhanced PCM playback time).

I think the main thing with a player-only unit is that it's usually thinner and lighter, gets used more often that way.

For me now it's just to wait for the LIP-4WM's to arrive by airmail, good thing I have a charged NH-14WM from my MZ-N910 to put in the NH900 :)

Yep, DHL also came with my NH1 this morning, but I was out - they're coming back tomorrow :D - Luckily I have the batteries from my DH10P and EH1's charged and ready to go!

Edited by richyhu