New Sony NAS-M7HD | MD Bookshelf System with HDD

Rate this topic

Richard

Here we have a 40gig HD CD player from Teac which were greeted by such a yawn from the buying public that they were cleared at prices reminiscent of the current sale of Hi_MD at MiniDisc Australia. It's like a hi-fi-unit-size iPod. Chief reason for buying it was that a member of our household uses a wheelchair and access to our sizable CD collection is actually problematic. Now access to any CD is via a convenient remote. Sometimes these inventions have more benefits than the inventors expect.

Shame it doesn't play any form of MD!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yep, Sony displayed this model at CEATEC 2005 in October. It is part of the AnyMusic agreement between 8 companies; Sony, Sharp, Kenwood, Pioneer, Onkyo, Marantz, Denon, JVC, and Yamaha, to have an online music service that bypasses PCs and works directly with consumer devices. You connect this to your network and surf the music store via the display. The only online-music service that these devices will connect to is called "Labelgate" and was started in August with downloads in atrac format. I wonder how much music Labelgate has available right now. JVC is set to release their first AnyMusic device, ux-hd1, on Feb. 1, 2006.

I suspect if this machine, or subsequent models to it, is to be distributed overseas, US in particular, the name Labelgate will be changed since adding "gate" to the end of a word implies a scandal.

Edited by bland10000

Go to the following link and click "Save" watch the short ad at the top, it's definately a Hi-MD in the picture!! It also has Atrac plus bit rates and can record in PCM, so i don't see why it wouldn't be Hi-MD compatible.

http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer/netju...M7HD/stock.html

I've been waiting for something like this for years, nothings been able to compete with my now very old MD-515. These are going for about £350 in Japan too so not over priced.

Go to the following link and click "Save" watch the short ad at the top, it's definately a Hi-MD in the picture!! It also has Atrac plus bit rates and can record in PCM, so i don't see why it wouldn't be Hi-MD compatible.

http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer/netju...M7HD/stock.html

I've been waiting for something like this for years, nothings been able to compete with my now very old MD-515. These are going for about £350 in Japan too so not over priced.

Umm... that button doesn't work... and I saw the ad before, and I did NOT see HiMD :(

the button doesn't work in his link but if you link from the original post you can get to the same place; skip the intro and on the main page look in the middle where it says "save" then watch the demo in the top of the window.

I may be wrong, but I think it mentions the 256 /48k bitrates in relation to Atrac CD's and not MD's?