Onkyo FR-N9 Review and Pictorial

Rate this topic

ingoo

Hi there, I am new to this forum. I just got a Onkyo FR-N9 (Japanese Page: http://www2.onkyo.com/jp/product/products....08?OpenDocument). I´m not quite sure how to call this thing, probably it´s a bookshelf system? The Japanese call it a Mini-Kompo. It´s no single MD-deck for sure.

I thought of getting one of the two Onkyo HI-MD-decks, but then they had this thing at the Sakuraya in Shibuya, and I got it for 48,000 Yen after negotiating for half an hour, together with the Onkyo D-N8 speakers (Japanese Page is here). It is a display item though, so maybe it wasn´t such a bargain. It is in good shape though.

I enjoy the possibilty to have the RH10 for recording and transferring music, the EH1 (which I found for a bargain 15.000 Yen in Akihabara a while ago) for portable listening and now the Onkyo-thing (please tell me the correct term for this!), for listening at home. I used to connect one of my portables to desktop-speakers to listen to MD (since I live in Japan and haven´t owned a stereo system until now), but such an Onkyo-thing is so much more convenient, because of the large volume-nob and the display, wich is as blue as the RH10-schreen, but a lot bigger.

Just by the way, I was just wondering what do all the iPod-users do when they want to listen to music at home? Do they use some kind of stereo docking station? Even if there are remotes for those things, I think MD just makes more sense for home listening.

I might write a little review later, here just some first impressions:

It sounds very good to me. I am no audiophile, but I think I can say that it sounds good. The main thing it does is playing music (and that´s most important isn´t it?), it doesn´t have that much playback features. For example there´s no possibility to let it playback only the songs of one artist or one album for example. You can´t even search for songs by artist or album name, only by group. So concerning these features my small EH1 can do a lot more than this home system. At first I was quite disappointed by that, but then I thought that it isn´t that bad, because it´s HI-MD, and not Hard-disk or something like that. If I had a huge collection of albums on one MD, it would be quite hard to find one specific song, but because it´s MD and I recently produced a lot of LP2 MDs of one artist, on 80min discs in HI-MD mode, the navigation through the disc works OK. Actually I like the minimalistic design on this, as I also like on the RH10 and EH1. Not to many buttons a things to play around with, no video playback or swiss army knife included, so it just plays music in great audio quality. I might be getting a little off-topic, but I am getting a little bored by devices, that have a thousand features and fancy displays, so you keep playing around with them all the time, which actually distracts you from listening to music. If I want to wach video or play games, I prefer a different device for that, one that mainly does that one thing!

I took some pictures of my new Onkyo FR-N9 mini system. I tried to cover all parts of it, that may be of interest.

Maybe this is the first time that there is a pictoral of Hi-MD home audio here, at least I haven´t seen any yet.

I think it´s a beautiful system! The aluminium front and the buttons of this unit really give an impression of high quality! The unlit parts of the display aren´t actually as bright as it appears in the photos.

I hope you can enjoy the pictures!

Post updated by Ishiyoshi

post-5220-1130351842_thumb.jpgpost-5220-1130351881_thumb.jpgpost-5220-1130351911_thumb.jpg

post-5220-1130351945_thumb.jpgpost-5220-1130351972_thumb.jpgpost-5220-1130352007_thumb.jpg

post-5220-1130352039_thumb.jpgpost-5220-1130352064_thumb.jpgpost-5220-1130352104_thumb.jpg

post-5220-1130352126_thumb.jpgpost-5220-1130352156_thumb.jpg

Edited by richyhu

I got one of these items recently also. Like Ingoo, I came across it when I was having a look at the higher-end Onkyo HiMD systems.

Generally, it is a real boon to be able to record directly from CD to HiMD without having to boot up the PC.

I also use it a lot for radio recording, where the 1G disk capacity is a great advance over the conventional MD: hours and hours of recording without worrying about swapping out disks.

I have one gripe though: I find that the mechanics of the device are rather noisy when either a CD or a MD is playing. Ingoo, have you noticed this?

Onkyo web page says this unit has a word wide FM 76-108 MHz frequency range. It's a very good point!

Is anyboby knows if Sony cmt-AH10 Himd bookshelf unit has got the same feature?

Edited by garcou

Onkyo web page says this unit has a word wide FM 76-108 MHz frequency range. It's a very good point!

Is anyboby knows if Sony cmt-AH10 Himd bookshelf unit has got the same feature?

The manual for the CMT-AH10 states it is:

FM: 76-90mhz

AM: 531-1629khz

TV: 1-3ch

So the answer is no. If you need a Hi-MD bookshelf system with FM Tuner that works internationally then you'll probably have to go for one of the Onkyo models.

I don´t find the systems mechanics too noisy, I think they´re just OK. Or are there quieter systems than this? I would also enjoy recording from the radio, if there only were any good radio stations. And sure it´s nice to be independent from the computer, but I still prefer the automatic tracklisting with Sonicstage or SimpleBurner.

The manual for the CMT-AH10 states it is:

FM: 76-90mhz

AM: 531-1629khz

TV: 1-3ch

So the answer is no. If you need a Hi-MD bookshelf system with FM Tuner that works internationally then you'll probably have to go for one of the Onkyo models.

Thanks for your answer Richyhu.

I live in France and you in Netherland. Do you think Sony will finally make an european version of AH10?

If not I'll probably buy a Onkyo.

Thanks for your answer Richyhu.

I live in France and you in Netherland. Do you think Sony will finally make an european version of AH10?

If not I'll probably buy a Onkyo.

It would be nice, but realistically I don't think so. It is very rare even to find normal MDLP bookshelf systems over here.

Personally I will try and import one of the Onkyo systems later this year or at the begining of next - but not through Audiocubes.

The Onkyo's also have digital in / out and a slightly wider frequency response.

I would go for an Onkyo instead of the CMT-AH10. I don´t know the CMT-AH10 that well, but from seeing it in the shops here in Japan it seems to be of much less quality than the Onkyo decks and systems. The display looks pretty cheap compared to the Onkyos for example and it has a front panel that slides up for inserting MDs and CDs, might seem cool at first, but could also be quite fragile and not last forever. Also the option for in- and outputs on the CMT-AH10 seem to be very limited!

And I think you can get a FR-N9 for about the same price as the CMT-AH10 if youo are lucky!

Edited by ingoo

Wow I'm in love with that system, I NEED one now! One of the best things is the optical out, have you tried outputting music from Hi-MD and normal MD thru the optical out? Any restrictions/DRM crap get in the way?

thanks

-zahg

Update: Thread updated with pictures.

Have fun!

Is the entire faceplate all aluminum? That would indeed give it the appearance of high quality. ONKYO, generally, I think have prided themselves on making a product that looks a little better than the others, no?

According to the Japanese product site the faceplate and also the volume nob are aluminium. It really seems well built, especially compared to the Hi-MD bookshelfs from Sony, which are in the same price range (or a little cheaper in some places)!

Edited by ingoo

Wow I'm in love with that system, I NEED one now! One of the best things is the optical out, have you tried outputting music from Hi-MD and normal MD thru the optical out? Any restrictions/DRM crap get in the way?

thanks

-zahg

I don´t have a matching optical cable for that output, but as soon as I have one I´ll try to copy an analogue recorded MD. I don´t think it´ll be possible to copy digital recordings, but I´ll try that to!

Maybe this is the first time that there is a pictoral of Hi-MD home audio here, at least I haven´t seen any yet.

This is indeed the first full-fledged Hi-MD Home Audio pictorial-review thread at MDCF. Brilliant! Thanks for taking the time to share your impressions and pictures. They are fantastic. ;)

thread pinned

Well, I have no good news for the people who were hoping for a digital out from the MD-Player. I got an optical cable today and tried to connect my RH10 to the digital out...but there was no signal! If I switch the system to CD there is a signal though. So the digital out seems to only work for the CD player. Sorry that I have to report the bad news. :( So I can´t even copy analogue recordings with this. If the MD player of the FR-N9 would have a digital out, it wouldn´t make any sense that the other Onkyo Hi-MD decks don´t have one, right? It still is a very nice system, just that it is very computer independent and even external-MD-independent (if you want to put it in positive words :D ). Maybe it is some order from Sony not to equip MD-players with digital outs, for some stupid reasons :angry: ???

Thats a damn shame! I'm sure one day us Minidisc'ers will get what we want! Still a nice system but not worth me going into further debt if no MD digital out.

-zahg

Well, I have no good news for the people who were hoping for a digital out from the MD-Player. I got an optical cable today and tried to connect my RH10 to the digital out...but there was no signal! If I switch the system to CD there is a signal though. So the digital out seems to only work for the CD player. Sorry that I have to report the bad news. :( So I can´t even copy analogue recordings with this. If the MD player of the FR-N9 would have a digital out, it wouldn´t make any sense that the other Onkyo Hi-MD decks don´t have one, right? It still is a very nice system, just that it is very computer independent and even external-MD-independent (if you want to put it in positive words :D ). Maybe it is some order from Sony not to equip MD-players with digital outs, for some stupid reasons :angry: ???

I tried it with an analogue recorded standard 74min disc in MD mode (in the Onkyo system). If anything should work, then that, right? But my RH10 displayed "no input signal". You know there is normally a red light sent through the optical cable when the output is active? So if the FR-N9 is switched to the CD player I can see the red light (even if there is no CD inserted), but when I switch to MD the red light turns off. This I think is a pretty sure indication that the digital out is only meant to work for the CD player... <_<

Edited by ingoo

hi

i have a onkyo hi-md unit ,TOO MY HI-MD SYSTEM IS FR X-B8

BUT I FOUND IT HAVE NO CD-TEXT

SO YOU CAN'T COPY CD-TEXT NAME TO MD

AND THIS UNIT HAVE NO AUTO-PRESENT IN FM 90-108 MHZ FREQUENCEY RANGE

YOU CAN ONLY MANUAL IT'S FM

IT'S MY EXPERIENCE

http://tw.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hommeskim...35d.jpg&.src=ph

Edited by hommeskimo

Are you able to make recordings from a phonograph through the onkyo? That would be one of the major reasons for me to get one. Also, is there any way to title the tracks on the home system, or would that have to be done on the portable itself or through the computer? Thanks

Sure you can record phonographs with this, just connect any source to the line in. You can title MDs on the Onkyo itself, I just tried it. The best way probably is with the remote, it has cell phone like buttons for entering text, but you can also use the jog dial for that.

Edited by ingoo

The speakers look like they have glass fibre woofers like on my cmt-se1. Is this the case?? Do you find this micro system can be a bass monster if you want it to be? I checked out the link, although i didnt get a translation using babelfish. Are the speakers 70 watts rms per channel?

I´m not sure if the speakers have the glass fibre woofers you are talking about, but the website speaks about a special bass reflex system called "Aero Acoustic Drive". The automatic translation of that part is this (from this website: http://www2.onkyo.com/jp/product/products....29?OpenDocument ):

"New technology "AERO ACOUSTIC DRIVE" was adopted to limits which unite volume and the speed impression playback new technical "AERO ACOUSTIC DRIVE" cabinet structure low, limits which unite volume and the speed impression of evolving former bus reflex system rapidly playback was actualized low. Furthermore, the normality it is not cylindrical in the bus reflex duct inside the cabinet and adopting "the slit duct" of new development. Emission noise from the duct much it decreases not only, cylindrical bus reflex peculiar phenomenon such as color ration and diaphragm and the time lag of the aerial vibration due to the occurrence of the standing wave inside the duct was improved substantially."

On the backside of the speakers there are slits, so is it that, what you are talking about?

I can´t turn the volume up all the way where I live right now, but from what I can tell the bass sounds fine. On the FR-N9 you can set bass and treble in 10 steps (only with the remote) and additional to that it has a 2-step "S. Bass". So if you turn all that bass up all the way you can expect your neighbors knocking on your door very soon (but who cares, you can´t hear them knocking anyway! :lol:), the bass on this system is impressive. Personally I prefer a rather flat sound though!

Edited by ingoo

The speakers look like they have glass fibre woofers like on my cmt-se1. Is this the case?? Do you find this micro system can be a bass monster if you want it to be? I checked out the link, although i didnt get a translation using babelfish. Are the speakers 70 watts rms per channel?

i highly doub the system to be a "bass monster" as it is onkyo, and emphasizes accurate sound reproduction over anything else ;)