Charger for LIP-4WM?

Rate this topic

tommypeters

Made this a topic of its own, since the answer is important for me because I listen to a lot of music on travels...

I've read that the NH1 can't be recharged without using the cradle, and the cradle looks a bit too cumbersome to bring on backpacking-like trips... But I wonder if there aren't any small sized chargers for the LIP-4WM batteries, just remove the battery and recharge? On a trip I would like two batteries anyway, since there could be a day/night or so without electricity in some countries.

Anyone know of such a recharger, preferably Universal Voltage, of course? Any experiences? Where to buy it, and batteries?

Made this a topic of its own, since the answer is important for me because I listen to a lot of music on travels...

I've read that the NH1 can't be recharged without using the cradle, and the cradle looks a bit too cumbersome to bring on backpacking-like trips... But I wonder if there aren't any small sized chargers for the LIP-4WM batteries, just remove the battery and recharge? On a trip I would like two batteries anyway, since there could be a day/night or so without electricity in some countries.

Anyone know of such a recharger, preferably Universal Voltage, of course? Any experiences? Where to buy it, and batteries?

As far as I know (I mentioned in the other topic http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=12747) there are none currently. Spare batteries can be bought fairly easily.

My search only found this charger, CHA200: http://www.hubgiant.com/p_cha100200300.html

But the voltages aren't right: 3.6/3.7V, 7.2/7.4V, 10.8-11.1V or 14.4-14.8V... :( And one would have to be careful not to make a short and destroy the battery, maybe a small building project with plastic/spring steel.

But the voltages aren't right anyway, I wonder if charging at 3.7V would do (though take longer) and/or if at 7.2V gradually (or immediately) would destroy the bettery...

My search only found this charger, CHA200: http://www.hubgiant.com/p_cha100200300.html

But the voltages aren't right: 3.6/3.7V, 7.2/7.4V, 10.8-11.1V or 14.4-14.8V... :( And one would have to be careful not to make a short and destroy the battery, maybe a small building project with plastic/spring steel.

But the voltages aren't right anyway, I wonder if charging at 3.7V would do (though take longer) and/or if at 7.2V gradually (or immediately) would destroy the bettery...

I wouldn't risk it. Looking at this charger it looks like you have to connect it to the battery by basically shorting the circuit. Forget it. Just get a second battery and charge both before you leave.

Just get a second battery and charge both before you leave.

...and if I go away for 6 weeks...?

That's the problem, I need a charger... The NH1 unit itself, being all-metal and slightly thinner, looks very good to bring for these kind of trips. Is there a close-up picture of the connector in the cradle and the hole/connector in the NH1 somewhere? Perhaps it's possible to find/create something that could work as an adapter. I agree with that CHA200 unit being a non-solution. And thanks again for your interest :)

...and if I go away for 6 weeks...?

That's the problem, I need a charger... The NH1 unit itself, being all-metal and slightly thinner, looks very good to bring for these kind of trips. Is there a close-up picture of the connector in the cradle and the hole/connector in the NH1 somewhere? Perhaps it's possible to find/create something that could work as an adapter. I agree with that CHA200 unit being a non-solution. And thanks again for your interest :)

This was discussed here:

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=9066&hl=

But unfortunately no-one really took he idea anywhere..

OK, so it's a bit more complicated... ...probably too complicated...

Opened up the cradle base and there is a mini circut board in there so it more than just a custom connector to an ac adapter. My solution was to remove the clear plastic triangle part so I can just throw the base into my bag when I travel.

That seems like the only viable solution, one could look for someone that has broken his NH1 and is willing to part with his (for him) useless cradle very cheap...

• 1 year later...