Let's come up with a name for the ATRAC3plus 352kbps bit rate.

Rate this topic

Syrius

Let's come up with a name for the 352 bitrate.  

1. 1. What name would you give to it?

• Super SP
    • SP-EX
    • Ultra SP
    • XSP (Nod to Xispe!)
    • Just ATRAC3plus 352
    • XP (boo!)
    • MAX SP
    • Mega SP
    • SP 352
    • Other (Indicate)

So we got SP, LP, LP 4, HI-SP and Hi-LP. The other bitrates are used for HDD walkmans. What names do you propose for the 352 bitrate, since we can use that for our Hi-MD? Vote for the ones you see here, or present your own idea, and I'll try and add them to the list.

Get creative. :)

Edited by Ishiyoshi

Can I nominate:

HiSP352?

Just asking is all...

Edit: I call the 48kbps HiLP48 (you can see my past posts for example of this, I'm too tired to quote myself), so that's where it comes from.

Just to keep the theme of HiLP/SP is all.

Edited by Damage

I agree with you that Atrac3plus 352 doesn't sound great, but the other proposed names are even less appealing to me and I can't think of anything better myself.

Edit: I was typing my message while Damage posted, but I have to say that I like his suggestion.

Edited by eriktous

If we must have a special name for this mode, how about just ATRAC-352?

Of courfse, every time we make special names for compression modes there will be scores of posts with nothing but "What is Super-SP?" or "I can't find Hi-Hi-SP in the manual anywhere!" and other such things... :P

peace

WaywardTraveller

Hi'RSP

well, 256kbps is HiSP, so 352kbps is Hi'RSP (read as Higher-SP)

not? well indeed not, the whole Sony let's name every bitrate differently than the others and work with three versions of the codec simultaniously could be one reason ppl think atrac sound worse than MP3 (just kidding... no need to start discussing this all over again :P )... what is true is that my granny knows that a 92kbps MP3 sounds worse than a 320kbps MP3 (even though she can't handle VBR :lol: ) but throw HiLP, LP, SP, HiSP etc. at here and mention that they still come in different bitrates and she's glad she still uses a grammophone all of a sudden...

so my idea: throw out all 'names' and let's use A[bitrate] for example: A265 or A352 or A48 (for ppl who do not care about SQ :P )

I hope I made my point, but please do not take this to seriously, 'cause I really enjoy listening to that latest acquisition, even if it is called

"you-know-that-one-bitrate-that-came-with-SS3.3-and-which-mysteriously-is-able-to-play-on-my-1st-gen-NH900-even-though-the-older-new-ones-don't-and-MP3-never-will" from now on

Edited by The Low Volta

Hi'RSP\

so my idea: throw out all 'names' and let's use A[bitrate] for example: A265 or A352 or A48 (for ppl who do not care about SQ :P )

I hope I made my point, but please do not take this to seriously, 'cause I really enjoy listening to that latest acquisition, even if it is called

"you-know-that-one-bitrate-that-came-with-SS3.3-and-which-mysteriously-is-able-to-play-on-my-1st-gen-NH900-even-though-the-older-new-ones-don't-and-MP3-never-will" from now on

you'd still need to put the plus in but not a bad idea.

How about "Sony should stop picking numbers at random for compression ratios and make it 360 because 360 is easier to remember". Then again, doing that people would probably think 360 - XBOX 360, something Sony understandably wants to avoid.

Edited by PCManiac

MEGA-SUPER-HYPER-ULTRA-TURBO ATRAC Type-Z

-or-

A.352

A-352

NuBit SP

HiBit SP

Since Sony is Japanese they could have "SUPER HAPPY SMILE FUN WISH 352 ATRAC PLUS". To get the kids in they could have ATRAC 352 X-TREEEEM! :D

Mountain Dew could sponsor it.

Edited by PCManiac

I like "Randall". I'm tired of all the numbers and letters, I want something that is easy to remember like a name. The higher the bit rate, the higher the name begins in the alphabet. 48 kbps can be Andy, 64 kbps can be Deloris, etc...

Nice idea from bland10000, I realy like it.

But it could be more confusing than anything else..

I would vote for Hi-SP 352 or HI-EP for "extra"play

Edited by eMDe

good idea...but it should be HiSP(352) as it is a HiMD-mode birate and not an older one I guess

True. Makes sense.

The reason I include the bitrate was because I just think it makes more sense when you are discussing different encodings that you include the bit rate.

Edited by Sparky191