Whats your favorite player?

Rate this topic

RobA

Well mine is going to have to be mznh-900 seeing as though it is the only one i own right now, have had mzn-520, mznh700, love the build quality of the black mznh-900 seems awkward to use compared to mznh-700 for some reason,maybe because iam using remote control maybe more than i did previously....

take care

Toddz

NH1 although my N10 gets far more use --- external battery attachment is very convenient and an 80 min disc recorded at LP2 is fine for music on the move -- up to 160 mins -- over 2 1/2 hours per disc is fine for even the longest of journeys

Easier also to handle a music collection and you don't have to fiddle with a remote.

Actually even for the stuff I record in Hi-MD mode I've found myself going back to the standard 80 Min (or even 74 min) minidiscs. -- If I see a packet of 10 in a store I snap them up -- I've probably got enough now to cover all my needs for way into the future even if the whole format disappears tomorrow.

I think the whole idea of a HD player is flawed -- I'm sure those of you that have them will see some of the drawbacks after "the Novelty Factor" has worn off.

It might work with a "Removable HD" -- then I could have a reasonable backup and it would effectively be a "Super MD player" -- but once I've transferred my CD's to MD I don't want to have to be dependent on a computer for organising, storing, deleting etc a music collection --and what happens when you want to get new device , the disc gets full or it gets broken or stolen.

With the NH1 / N10 the worst that can happen is that you lose 1 disc.

Cheers

-K

I would have to say it's probably the DS8. When it debuted, the entire landscape and game changed forever. This was a very crucial optimization to the Minidisc format because it gave rich color to the sound and strengthened battery life signifigantly.

Although the original question said favourite "Hi-MD player" I must say that I love all of my units equally. However, the EH1 is getting much attention lately and the good old NH900 is still the work-horse and the most-travelled unit.

Oops, it's early here. Well, I'd have to go with the MZ-NH900. I think that was probably one of the best units ever created in terms of price and ability, but as a recording device it does falter slightly because of the extremely small RW/FF buttons -- why the hell didn't they implement that into the scroll wheel instead?

I think the whole idea of a HD player is flawed -- I'm sure those of you that have them will see some of the drawbacks after "the Novelty Factor" has worn off.

-K

Ha! After 6 years and far more units sold than MD ever had, I don't think the HD concept can really qualify as a Novelty Factor.

It's not Hi-MD and it was way too big, but I had a Sharp 722, and I really like both the slide entry and the huge jog wheel surrounding the display.

It might work with a "Removable HD" -- then I could have a reasonable backup and it would effectively be a "Super MD player" -- but once I've transferred my CD's to MD I don't want to have to be dependent on a computer for organising, storing, deleting etc a music collection --and what happens when you want to get new device , the disc gets full or it gets broken or stolen.

With the NH1 / N10 the worst that can happen is that you lose 1 disc.

Cheers

-K

I can understand your desire to keep all the music on MD and then never have to use the PC again, but the comment about what happens when when folks who use a HDD DAP get new device, gets full, broken or stolen is a bit naive"

1. Get new device = you still have the files on your PC. Who really deletes all their computer files. Most folks that use SS still have a back up on their pc. Now is you use just a standard MD/MDLP deck that is another story entirely.

2. Gets full - that is the strenght of a HDD DAP, you can transfer data at USB 2.0 speeds unlike the USB 1.1 on a MD/HiMD recorder. So, this really isn't important. The idea of having an infinite amount of storage with MD is flawed (besides the misuse of infinite in this case) because you can only really carry a few discs (comfortably) with you at any time.

3. Gets broken or stolen - Broken, warranty or buy a new one depending on how it was broken. Just spend a little time to retransfer the music one evening. If it was stolen, buy a new one and do the same. How is this any different than having your MD broken or stolen. Sure you have discs, but no player. Same with those who use HDD DAPs, they have files, but no player. In both cases it is no harder than buying a new player.

To each their own, but the comments made above seem to misinform folks rather than provide acurate info.

In regards to my favorite players...

1. Cowon X5L

2. Cowon iAudio 5

3. Sharp DR7

Edited by lamewing

How about the best portable MD past & present, recorder or not, in terms of build quality. Im guessing in shock resistance etc not much stands up the sports model (S1 i think it was?). But how about top end quality...if you get what im talking about (bit late over here 4.40am) hehe. Not sure if you'd want to include the Qualia one, as that is sort of in a league of its own.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread, just thought it was similar to this one and didnt want to make another one (new here). Mods feel free to move/delete as you see necessary.

I'm curious to know why you don't like your new RH910 the best?

The MZ-R700 looks cool, has a metal lid, awesome battery life, great interface, out of the box comes with remote, decent sounding headphones. the ONLY bad thing about it was no NetMD, but the player came out before the whole MP3 player thing popularity ipod thingy, so at the time i really did not know what i was missing nor it was missed.

as for the MZ-RH900 The buttons are too small, battery life is not as good as any of my old players (without external battery attachment), no remote, plastic lid that scratches easy, menus are not very intuitive, headphones that come included SUCK, HiMD is the only redeaming thing... it is awesome and i enjoy it... but the R700 has a speacial place in my heart.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had 2 MZ-R50's - the classic unit was the best until HiMD came along-

NH1 was the worst designed recorder I've ever tried to use

my current favorite is the MZ-M100 - very Mac compatible, though it would be great if it could do data

transfer from the Mac.

I'm sorry to see the format being dropped by sony, but i'm looking forward to my next portable recording device being some kind of flash/Cf unit - whatever is available between $3-400. in 2-3 years.

Of the units I've used, my favourite was the R-37. Metal case, 2-AA batteries with good headphone volume, straight ATRAC SP recording/playback, buttons/switches for the majority of functions, manual levels could be entered just by holding the record slider for 2+ seconds.

The only real fault I had with it was END SEARCH. Otherwise it performed beautifully and was nice to handle.

There's an R-37 sitting at the pawn shop down the street from me and I've been tempted to try and find the money to get it [they want $100 for it] .. it's been there for months and no one's ever touched it.

My favorite hi-md player is the MZ-NH900. It is robust and doesnt collect finger prints as my MZ-RH10 and my iPods. The three line screen on the extension is very easy to read with back light at night.