Problem: Music transfer attempts crash SonicStage 3.3

Rate this topic

mmp64

I installed SS 3.3 a couple of days ago - and have had major problems. About half of my transfer attempts hang - and I have to crash SS. I did two clean re-installs, uninstalled my HiMD device, etc. etc. all to no avail. Finally went back to 3.2 and all seems to be OK again. I've never had this kind of problem w/ previous versions of SS and have been using it for many years. Anyone else experience this w/ 3.3?

Yep, I have the same problem. Well, on my PC actually it's more like 3 out of 4 transfers that jam the whole SS before it even starts transferring the first track. If the first track starts transferring, then it goes OK.

I'll be interested to see if this problem is resolved w/ the official US/North American release. I thought maybe it was a USB issue, but I've reverted back to 3.2 and am having no problems.

Unfortunately, it has not been resolved with the official US release. Same problem. I am not happy.

Edited by mmp64

I'll be interested to see if this problem is resolved w/ the official US/North American release. I thought maybe it was a USB issue, but I've reverted back to 3.2 and am having no problems.

Unfortunately, it has not been resolved with the official US release. Same problem. I am not happy.

I noticed that the only version you can install from the web is now 3.3 - so I think I'm screwed as far as Connect is concerned (I installed 3.2 from the stand-alone version here on the site). But it is not the Connect version...

Did you install the full version from the sony web site? I didnt have any issues on my comp and i installed the one from the sony web site.

Ive bought about 15 songs since i got my hd5. Its sh!!!y if you download the music,and then have your comp crash. Then you have to send them (sony connect people) loads of emails to get them to give you the tracks again. If you are going to get any songs, its best to use all the check-outs as soon as you get them, in case anything bad happens to ur comp.

Edited by GregTheRotter

I too had similar problems withSS3.3 (crash after a couple of transfers) after previously never having any problems with any previous versions of SS. The solution that appears to have worked for me was to install SS3.3 again. I did not uninstall the initial installation and a message asking me whether I wanted to reinstall SS3.3 came up when I opened the installation file. I chose yes and interestingly the install downloaded all the original software components along with Directx 9.0c, which it didn't in the original installation. Indeed the latest version of DirectX was already installed so I'm not sure why SS downloaded this. Could the problem be linked with DirectX?

Did you install the full version from the sony web site? I didnt have any issues on my comp and i installed the one from the sony web site.

Ive bought about 15 songs since i got my hd5. Its sh!!!y if you download the music,and then have your comp crash. Then you have to send them (sony connect people) loads of emails to get them to give you the tracks again. If you are going to get any songs, its best to use all the check-outs as soon as you get them, in case anything bad happens to ur comp.

Thanks for the heads up. Saves major irritation with Sony, and I have had enough already!

Question for anyone who can answer it; is it possible to have both Open MG and SS 3.2 on a hard drive and yet maintain two *separate* music libraries without the softwares sharing them? I can't transfer tunes that were backed up in OpenMG to my Sonic Stage player because it cant' find the rights, yadda yadda yadda. I understand that, but thought if there was a way to keep the music libraries separate when loading Open Mg back onto my hard drive, it wouldn't be a problem. Anyone have any ideas? Sorry if this is an old question, feel free to steer me in the direction of a thread. :rolleyes:

Personally I don't keep my music in Sonic Stage. I just import the tracks/albums to SonicStage when I want to transfer it to HiMD. I keep my music in a seperate and simple directory structure on my external HD. I backup this dir to another drive. I stopped using music managers as they are all proprietary, and are not compatible with one another. I have a Zen Micro, iPod shuffle and HiMD. Each one uses a different manager. I do the same with iTunes. I only import the tracks I want to transfer to the Shuffle. Thankfully the Zen doesn't need a manager since the last firmware update.

I reckon online music stores offer poor value for money. Limited bitrates, and hobbled by DRM. Better value buying used CD's.

Edited by Sparky191

I too had similar problems withSS3.3 (crash after a couple of transfers) after previously never having any problems with any previous versions of SS. The solution that appears to have worked for me was to install SS3.3 again. I did not uninstall the initial installation and a message asking me whether I wanted to reinstall SS3.3 came up when I opened the installation file. I chose yes and interestingly the install downloaded all the original software components along with Directx 9.0c, which it didn't in the original installation. Indeed the latest version of DirectX was already installed so I'm not sure why SS downloaded this. Could the problem be linked with DirectX?

Thanks - I did try installing the latest version of Directx from the Microsoft site, and I'm still having the same problem. I'm going to try and call the Sony Support line today (I was given the number from the guy on the Sony Chat Forum). If I can't get this resolved, I'm perilously close to dumping MD for everyday listening (but keeping it for recording). This sucks, as I just got a MZ-NHF800 to add to my large collection of MD units. But if I can't use the latest version of the software (and I can't go back to 3.2 because I would not be able to use my Connect tunes) - then I'm up a creek.

Just got off the phone w/ Sony - I ultimately reached the highest level of support, and as I suspected, they couldn't help me (because as far as they knew, no one else has had this problem). I will say that everyone was very nice, but it is frustrating to know more about a product than the support people for that product. The last bit of advice I was given was to "make sure I was specifying that everything be transferred as ATRAC, because SS can only transfer ATRAC to the 600D" which is of course, correct, but as we know, SS will transocde non-ATRAC files to ATRAC. So I didn't really argue w/ him and at that point gave up.

One very interesting thing - they said that maybe I should wait for "SonicStage 3.4"

Edited by mmp64

I can't wait :rolleyes: What do you think the updates?

I'd just be happy if it worked w/ my HiMD units.

I'm just surprised they're talking about 3.4, considering we've been expecting SS to be replaced by Connect. Maybe since Connect doesn't support MD, they'll continue to put out maintenance releases of SS for MD units. I've been wondering what they are doing to do about software support for MD if they continue to release them... I was hoping that maybe they'd make a simple utility for uploading, rather than the full-blown SS w/ Connect, etc. that it has become. A utility more for musicians, audio geeks, etc. etc. who are using MD for self-recording purposes.