What have you just bought?

Rate this topic

mercury_in_flames

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pics, please. :ok:

I'll see what I can do about that tomorrow at lunch time. Just got the baby washed tonight too... no more salt and crap from the roads here in Chicago. :) It's a beauty to be sure... look out for new pics. Can I just attach them to a post? I don't have a place to upload/host files currently. Please advise. Thanks.

Can I just attach them to a post? I don't have a place to upload/host files currently. Please advise. Thanks.

Attach or start a Gallery album, and link to the IMG source.

btw, I used to drive a 20th Anniv. Edition Mk.IV :yess:

Very nice indeed.

IPB Image

does that take XD cards like other olympus cameras?

Just bought myself a new custom built PC :D:D:D Extrememly excited!

Went out today and bought the new Logitech Cordless G7 Mouse, as well as an awesome Logitech Keyboard!

Will post pics when I get the PC later this week :D

what specs?

Just ordered 2 kingston 512 ram cards for my laptop. :D 84 pounds. For 2 gig would have been 220 pounds, but as my cpu is only 2.8 ghz P4 i figured theres no way I;d ever be able to use the full 2 gig without needing more processing power, which i obviously dont have. I mean starting up norton shoots the CPU to 98percent and makes it jump all over the show on windows task manager. Ripping a dvd of mine to my computer chews up all my CPU power.

A track lighting system for my office.

2500mAh Energizer rechargable (8 AA and 4 AAA + charger). AAA are 850mAh but I needed them.

Some herbal tea

A 17" TFT monitor (whew! got rid of my desk hogging CRT!)

An at faucet, water purifier thingie (tap water never tasted this good!) :)

One new 55mm skylight filter as i managed to crack the one I had by cycling around with my camera in my backpack.

IPB Image

Was tempted to go for the pro one but couldnt justify it for my purposes.

http://www.hoya-online.co.uk/lst124.htm

Got any pictures with and without the filter? I'd be interested in seeing the results. Do you also use an infrared filter? I know my digital SLR has an infrared filter right in front of the CMOS sensor. It's a real pain in the ass when you want to do astrophotography as they usually cut into the red spectrum too much. It's pretty amazing what filtration can do, but it's definitely a tricky area.

haha nope. I've got a film camera for one thing, and another I already threw the old filter in the recycling :D. I only use a polarizing filter sometimes and a skylight filter is on the end of my lense lol all the time. Have used the polarizing filter once when out on a sunny day, and was pretty cool. Only thing is i wont use it much because I always use my compact digital camera for colour photos. I plan to use it when I go on holiday though, not much seaside and such to take pictures of over here in the uk, and as for nice clear blue skies, they are pretty rare at this time of year. The only reason why I would use my film camera is because of the zoom lense I got for it, and obviously if I run out of space on my memory card, or i run out of battery power etc. I find the cost of developing my colour prints to be a bit of a rip-off, when you compare the cost of taking pictures and then just storing the photos on my external hard disk or a dvd+rw.

As for infra red shooting, i am pretty much less than an amateur shooter. I've never done infra red before (results a bit too unpredictable for use with a film camera?). I just got the polarizing filter to make my photos of when I go to greece/spain in the summer a bit more like what you see in the tourist brochures haha.

I have recently purchased 3 Hi-MD units from MiniDisc Australia:

1. MZ-NH900

2. MZ-NHF800

3. MZ-NH600

All at ridiculously cheap prices. I got the lot for approx. $470 Australian dollars !

Plus I got about 20 blank 1GB Hi-MD's & 50 of the standard 80min blanks.

Also, purchased 8 Sony 1400mah gumstick batteries & a charger for them.

Also, a pair of AUDIO-TECHNICA ATH-CM7 earphones (very good set!)

Also, a couple of Dvd's.

And ..... of course now I'm broke.

As for infra red shooting, i am pretty much less than an amateur shooter. I've never done infra red before (results a bit too unpredictable for use with a film camera?). I just got the polarizing filter to make my photos of when I go to greece/spain in the summer a bit more like what you see in the tourist brochures haha.

Film development costs are explicitly why I bought a digital camera. I've taken about 7000 photos with it so far which would be impossible to afford with film. The idea of the infrared filters on digital cameras is to block infrared out since most CMOS chips are sensitive to it.

And ..... of course now I'm broke.

Haha, I know how that feels all too well. I used to blow every penny i earned on techy stuff. I;ve taken a break or tried to at least. Since Ive been 'saving' ive got my sister a 512mb usb memory stick for her birthday, and got me a charger for our second digital camera, and recently 1 gig ram for the laptop. Its hella hard to save money. From having 20 pounds left over from a 350pounds a month pay cheque (i'm 18 and work weekends), I have managed to save 850 pounds since january. Not too bad, but if i hadnt spent money on the above things, I would have 200 pounds more. :wacko:

Film development costs are explicitly why I bought a digital camera. I've taken about 7000 photos with it so far which would be impossible to afford with film. The idea of the infrared filters on digital cameras is to block infrared out since most CMOS chips are sensitive to it.

you do this astrophotography with your camera and a telescope?

you do this astrophotography with your camera and a telescope?

Yep. Sometimes with the camera and lens piggybacking on the telescope itself. Most times with the camera attached via t-ring directly to the focuser of the scope. It's an expensive hobby and is taking forever to get the technique and equipment right, but I think the end results will be well worth the effort.

Yep. Sometimes with the camera and lens piggybacking on the telescope itself. Most times with the camera attached via t-ring directly to the focuser of the scope. It's an expensive hobby and is taking forever to get the technique and equipment right, but I think the end results will be well worth the effort.

Cool! Another astrophotography aficionado! I just need better gear. My telescope needs culminating though. I don't have a motor drive so most of my shots are very short exposure. :(

Cool! Another astrophotography aficionado! I just need better gear. My telescope needs culminating though. I don't have a motor drive so most of my shots are very short exposure. :(

Get yourself a copy of ImagesPlus (http://www.mlunsold.com/). You can take several short exposures and digitally combine them to bring out more detail. It has the ability to do dark frame subtraction, image registration and restoration as well as remote camera control via a serial of parallel cable adapter for completely unattended (and vibration free) shooting. It's like Maxim DL but significantly cheaper yet just as robust.

To get back to the thread, I just bought:

Epson Perfection 4490 PHOTO

IPB Image

you're using with a USB hub? :o LORD no!! Never use usb hubs, unless its for things like bluetooth usb adapters, usb mice, and things that require vertually no speed, lol. I've had my printer which is USB1 speed give me crap when using it with a 4 port Belkin usb hub. Avoid them like the plague. The peripherals i use are printer, external hard disk, memory card reader, bluetooth usb adapter, usb optical mouse, nw-hd5, memory stick, external dvd writer. I only ever have the external dvd writer, external hard disk and the mouse plugged in, all at once. Thankfully both the dvd writer and e.h.d have a firewire and usb port. the hard disk is always on the firewire port. Im using a laptop with 2 usb ports and 1 firewire port.

Just my two cents.