What have you just bought?

Rate this topic

mercury_in_flames

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I concur with wizard. No wireless toys in my home.

Maybe so, but what good does it do if there is a cell tower with many high power directionally focused elements on it on every square mile of land these days. Not to mention in the US they are still putting fluoride in most of the water for some reason, and aspertame is in virtually all candy and diet drinks. In other words, it's a loosing battle. But I agree to do what you can - don't be a dope and sleep with your cell under the pillow or on the bedside table, or run around with a bluetooth headset on all the time, phone on waist, etc.

We are bombarded every day of our life with many forms of radiation, from light and heat, to cosmic rays, gamma rays, radio and tv waves, people had cancer before there was radio and tv, at this stage I'll take my chance,

for every study that makes a connection, there is one that breaks it.

JMHO, and I don't necessarily want to make waves

Bob

for every study that makes a connection, there is one that breaks it.

Not really, when speaking of the things I mentioned...well other than maybe a few cherry picked studies usually sponsored by the sources in question. But since this is a MD forum, and the fact that it would take pages to undo such a mindset, lets get back to gear.

Get a wireless cancer...

I kinda' agree with bobt.

Unless you don't listen to the radio, watch television, talk on a cellphone (or wireless phone), or use a computer, then you're kinda' safe. But you might as well be living in the middle of nowhere..

Everything electronic usually give off RF interference, no matter how small.

Congrats Bob - Let me know how the experience goes - I am seriously considering picking up an RH1 from MDC myself.

It's here, sort of, was able to follow tracking from Canada Post, left the 19th, arrived in Grand Cayman the 22nd, cleared cstoms on the 22, got a call this morning from the post office in the island next door, saying the MD is in, but because of a holiday Mnday I won't get it till Tuesday. Amazing, 2 days to go a couple of thousand miles, 4 days to go 7, something wrong with this picture, will post on Tues on arrival

TTFN

Bob

'tis normal - post to/from UK about 3 days, to/from North Vancouver about 4 days

Still frustrating, because the plane that dropped it off on Cayman Brac probably came here first, oh well, I've waited this long, a couple of more days won't hurt,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,much

Bob

Happy days are here, Postmistress from the other island brought it over today, wow, what a beauty, far nicer in person than in pictures. I was also expecting something flimsy, surprisingly well built. Also got some AXIA 80 minute colored MD's, very cool.

Now for fun

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Like Bob I also (finally) picked up an RH1 this week. I bought it locally here in London in the end as the price worked out about the same if not cheaper than importing from MDC. Also bought a 10 pack of Maxell Couler, 10 pack of TDK Clef and 10 Maxell Plain style discs.

By the way, you probably already have very nice speakers, but could this last purchase tempt you to the Onkyo - Takamine | D-TK10 loudspeakers ;):P ?!

I took a look at these before and they definitely look interesting but I'm only using active speakers. my next big purchase will probably be 2 GENELEC 8030As

Anyhow, how about uploading some of your playing on your new instrument? That'd be sweet. Put that RH1 to some more use ;) .

Oh no, this is my first bass!!! :closedeyes:

I can understand that; I quite like my Sony SRS-ZP1000 active speaker system that way, although they aren't in the same league as the Genelec you mentioned of course...

But amps come with nifty remotes, you know what I mean :P ?

The remote controls for my SACD and Hi-MD decks are more than enough - and I don't use them. I don't have a listening room with a table for RCs next to the seat meters away from the loudspeakers. In fact, I normally sit very close to the loudspeakers and when I really want to listen to music I put my headphones on. I already had the Sony SRS-ZP1000 in my stereo but transfered them to my DVD player that once too was part of my stereo system. Nice, round, bassy sound ... but not very audiophile. They also tend to distort in the bass area so I had to put a cable volume control between the speakers and the dvd player.

Why the preference for active monitoring speakers? Some explanations I'd appreciate :) .

Well, you are starting with quite some kit here, I say! :o

Just ordered Optoma | Pico PK-101

25238.jpg

25239.jpg

25242.jpg

With either my girlfriend's iPod Video or my N95, this is going to be a lot of fun I think...

Looks neet, price doesn't look too bad either, let us know how it actually performs

Have fun

Bob

No full review yet, but I already rate this thing product of the decade! Order it, you'll be thrilled!

Cinema, slideshow, images of any kind anywhere!

I'm ripping all my movies to MP4 for portable use :P .

When I get some spare dineros I'll have to get one, if they had one that did puters too it would be a bonus, no monitor, just shine it on the wall!!

Have fun

Bob

There nothing stopping you do that, Bob-T:

vga%20to%20rca.jpg

VGA to RCA Video/S-Video

cable_fiche_s-video_vers_rca_double_blin

S-Video to RCA Video

Or if you have a graphics card with RCA Video:

cable_rca_male_vers_rca_male_haute_quali

RCA Video to RCA Video

*The Pico comes with a shortish 2.5mm jack to 3x RCA cable, 2 for L + R channel audio & 1 for Video.

But forget the included speaker, it is not of any serious use; better connect to ear/headphones, active speakers or amp + speakers.

Damn, I got to find some money! wonder if any are cheap on e-bay, I have a friend that owes me!

I'm Jealous

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

I had to brag about this one. Last weekend I drove an hour to meet up with a seller I found on craigslist. Bought a mint MZ-M200 (RH-1 + mic) with all accessories, an armband holder, and 9 hi-md discs (most sealed) for $225! Needless to say I dont think I'll ever find another deal like that again :D

Edited by whatsleftofj

I had to brag about this one. Last weekend I drove an hour to meet up with a seller I found on craigslist. Bought a mint MZ-M200 (RH-1 + mic) with all accessories, an armband holder, and 9 hi-md discs (most sealed) for $225! Needless to say I dont think I'll ever find another deal like that again :D

You did good, nice to see that happening once in a while,

Have fun

Bob

In a similar vein, I bought a MZ-RH1, brand new in its (open) box, for 129 EUR at Cash 31, a second-hand shop near Toulouse, France.

• 2 weeks later...

The drilling has proved particularly hard work; the >50cm concrete walls weren't very cooperative :P . Luckily I have only >35cm concrete walls left :) .

Wiz ,Are you trying to open a Business ? LOL Looks like your going to be a contractor !!! so many tools, and so little time .

• 1 month later...

Sony Walkman WM-FX511:

Front:

img0010s.jpg

Back:

img0009chw.jpg

Features:

-Auto reverse

-Automatic tape type selection

-AMS

-AVLS

-Blank Skip

-AM/FM radio with 16 FM presets and 8 AM presets

-Dolby B NR

-Mega Bass

-Runs on 1 AA battery

-Weighs only 145G

-Repeat play

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a bit of money come my way through vacation pay, so I decided to get a couple things. Grabbed a pair of Sennheiser PX100's and a Sony MXD-D3 deck.

Work lately has been getting scarce, but I have been saving all I can lately so I figured I'd treat myself. The deck seems to be in good shape and it's guaranteed against DOA, so I figured I'd try it out. Can't wait till the deck is delivered. The headphones are awesome though, still in the first few hours of using them, but they already sound way better than I imagined they would.

a Sony MXD-D3 deck...The deck seems to be in good shape and it's guaranteed against DOA, so I figured I'd try it out. Can't wait till the deck is delivered.

The MDX-D3 decks are pretty nice...I have one that I bought new. But to be honest, I have not actually used it in a couple years, so I should probably cut it loose.

In RE to all the rants about cheap RH1, here's my response:

Found one on ebay with on accessoires for $70. It looks pretty new. I really do not like using remotes and have a usb camera cable to charge. So, I have a very like new RH1 for $70. Can anyone beat that?

In RE to all the rants about cheap RH1, here's my response:

Found one on ebay with on accessoires for $70. It looks pretty new. I really do not like using remotes and have a usb camera cable to charge. So, I have a very like new RH1 for $70. Can anyone beat that?

That's a very good price, especially as some of the UK ones are going for nearly the price of a new one.

However, you will need a remote if you want to title tracks or discs, or if you want to change the playback speed (which i use a lot for spoken-word recordings)

One thing - I'm not sure why (USB experts please!) but the wall charger supplied by Sony does a different and probably better job than "regular" USB. Certainly the RH1 only goes into its charge mode with the Sony charger (but see below).

In part this is likely because no two USB sockets/servers/hubs are alike. In part I suspect there might be a higher voltage charging the LiIon from the charger than is technically and practically allowed on USB.

Recommendation. Once every couple of months run the battery down, and recharge using the Wall charger. More to the point, DO NOT leave RH1 permanently connected to USB for all sorts of reasons.

If you can't buy a charger, see about making one. Guitarfxr here has designed one (or more?) that will do the job from a bunch of dry cells (which presumably themselves can be rechargeable).

Yep , More would be the correct term

Sanyo 2700 ma x 4 in a Battery Box = 4.8 volts over 5 if they are hot charged ( Higher voltage than a standard charger , such as a Solar cell)

Then the USB config requires some resistors , for proper current , and a trace signal current to pin 3 from pin 4 or the RH1 wont recognize it .

next up would be a LM7805 IC Chip , and again power mangement and signal traces , to USB out . that works good to .

requiremts for RH1 USB are 5 Volts 700 ma ... It will work with less , I have slow charged from as little as 350 ma , lower than that the RH1 isnt happy .

I can build ya one for some Paypal inspiration !!

Edited by Guitarfxr

I cleaned up the last few replies here because its not really on topic. If you have qualms with one another, please take it to private messages. I would really like to see sfbp and Guitarfxr find peace, though. Please.

Keep the discussion private. If it continues to escalate we can discuss it together. This is a thread about what you've just bought.