What have you just bought?

Rate this topic

mercury_in_flames

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I have just bought some oldies found yesterday on the street of Shenyang, near the forbidden city;

a Gas mask with its filter, some chinese medals of the WW2 and a few communism propaganda posters.

bba41212-9f7a-4914-951e-3f63673f12a3.jpg

Neet, I love finds like that,

Bob

Just went to Hardoff today .....( Again)

To introduce a freind to the wonders of "Used Gear "

My last 1,500 yen , netted me ...... a Teac M-09 Mixer still working, unchecked by the store , and in the Junk bin just because its is sooooo old.

I have already tested and confirmed it works ( Quite WELLL at that ) almost noise free performance , except for the controls and internals are in dESPERATE need of cleaning .

When I Get done cleaning it , it will look like this :P

mike_zee_teac_m_09_387x387.jpg

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH Dat's PUUUUURTY ........ I want one !

Ohh by the way , Took apart the MIxer , and cleaned inside the Faders with alchohol and q-tips , vacuumed out the circuit board , and pots , put it back together and tested it .

Unbelievable Sound for a 30 year old mixer , FAT FAT FAT , I will post something after I get some spray lube for the Pots and Faders , get everything smooth .

Edited by Guitarfxr

I scored a Practically UNUSed ( we are talking very clean here ) Kenwood DMC-E7R that has every accessories including the extras you would have to order .

Unit : Pristine Condition ( NOT A FRIGGING SCRATCH ON IT ) 1995 era , unbelievable !!

Adaptor : original twisty tie on it ??

External Battery Pack for 6xAA's

Remote & Headphones ( actually 1 unit inline remo w/phones attached , but I have other Kenwood remo's) original Twisty ties on it , unwrinkled???

TWO batteries , and they still work ???

Original Manual :Unwrinkled!?!?and unstained in any way

Original Warranty sheet : Still sealed in its Plastic baggy

For those who dont know , this Portable is I believe the LAST model to have Optical OUTPUT on it , .... Yes folks OPTICAL , In & Out ,with Sample Rate Conversion (32,44.1,48 khz->44.1Khz)Which means it wont have any probs from the optical out on my Mac . Also 10mw + 10mw Phone Output

It was sitting next to a Very Beatup Sony MZ1 ( still Working ) when I found it , the MZ1 was in such bad shape that I had to pass on it , The DMC E7R was all bagged up and actually LESS than the MZ1 ........ I decided to get it and bring it home , .......UNBENOUNCED to me , I found after I got it home , ( My kid actually pointed it out as he was reading the Japanese Manual that it had Optical out ,........ so I jump online and come to where else ,....... THE MdCF and go to the equipment browser and find some english info , ( THANK YOU < THANK YOU < THANK YOU )

The sound quality is VERY nice I will add some pics later ( but for now here is one from the web )

Kenwood_DMC-E7R.jpg

update : Playing ShadowFax , from the Optical out to my Edirol digital monitors ,.......... VERY cool indeed , noise free , tight and punchy ..... not a bad 3,000 yen

Edited by Guitarfxr

• 2 weeks later...

With the very kind assistance of guitarfxr (thanks again dude!), while in Japan I bought a 2nd hand 17" Macbook Pro (2.33GHz Core 2 Duo model) since it met my needs perfectly at half the cost of a new one and more importantly, a Sony PCM-D50 recorder!

Not that I've had much of a chance to play with either unit yet given how busy work is at the moment but damn that was probably some of the best buys I've made so far!

A big thanks again to Guitarfxr for being such a generous tour guide (and shop advisor) during my 2.5 day stay in Japan this past weekend.

With the very kind assistance of guitarfxr (thanks again dude!), while in Japan I bought a 2nd hand 17" Macbook Pro (2.33GHz Core 2 Duo model) since it met my needs perfectly at half the cost of a new one and more importantly, a Sony PCM-D50 recorder!

Not that I've had much of a chance to play with either unit yet given how busy work is at the moment but damn that was probably some of the best buys I've made so far!

A big thanks again to Guitarfxr for being such a generous tour guide (and shop advisor) during my 2.5 day stay in Japan this past weekend.

lucky duck, how did you enjoy Hard-Off? Any other buys??

Bob

A small Behringer XENYX-802 mixer:

behringerxenyx802mixerfql7.jpg

The old Realistic mixing console I have been using for years finally bit the dust (plus it only had RCA ins/outs anyway, so I had a lot of rigging up with it), this one will be a great and welcome replacement for it. I can only hope it lasts as long though!

Edited by raintheory

We had one of those little Behringers performing a submix role in our radio studio (alongside a Tascam digital desk and Grace preamps!) and it ran just fine for a year, often without being turned off at night. Then it was replaced in a rehash of the studio, not because of inadequacy or failure.

Oh and I also bought a Parallel > Ethernet adapter so I can try to make our LaserJet a network printer. I spent about 4 hours trying to share it from a WinXP box to our Linux box, WinXP laptop, Mac G5, and PowerBook G4. ...to no avail.

After contemplating defenestration of said printer I found a used adapter on eBay for $10.

Oh and I also bought a Parallel > Ethernet adapter so I can try to make our LaserJet a network printer. I spent about 4 hours trying to share it from a WinXP box to our Linux box, WinXP laptop, Mac G5, and PowerBook G4. ...to no avail.

After contemplating defenestration of said printer I found a used adapter on eBay for $10.

Get an Airport express , set it up from the Mac , set it not to connect to the internet , but to power the printer ( via the USB port or Ethernet port on it ) . Password protect it so outsiders don't get in . and then your can print from anywhere in the house , Both Mac and PC will recognize it .

lucky duck, how did you enjoy Hard-Off? Any other buys??

Bob

a) Not enough time to go anywhere else as my colleague (who tagged along) and I were flying back out 4pm the next day in order to make it back to Beijing in time for work on Monday. In fact, while I was at Softmap buying the Mac and the Sony accessories (remote and case for the PCM-D50), Guitarfxr and my colleague ran off to another retailer in time before closing to get the PCM-D50 since the Softmap store didn't have any in stock. That's how fine we cut it!

B) Not enough room in the backpack for me to buy anything else. I wanted a few lenses for my Canon SLR as well but there would have been no way of squeezing one of them in particular into my backpack so I figured I'd take a chance and do the shopping here in Beijing instead in hope of a good - if not better - deal than Japan.

From what I noticed, Japan isn't all that much cheaper, generally, compared to external sources though I'm prepared to be proven wrong on that one. Some things in Beijing are more expensive than Japan and vice versa. I think it is very safe to say though that even if the D50 does make its way to Australia, it won't be as good a deal as what I paid for it in Japan! If I were to buy a new Macbook Pro, the cost worked out the same between Japan and Australia and China is actually 20% more expensive from what I noticed. iPods, however, are about 20% cheaper in China than they are in Japan (yes, genuine not fake, heh).

So what I have learned is that I can definitely afford all the toys I could want from Japan though not everything works out cheaper just because it is made locally and the same rules apply to China considering the PCM-D50 and even the Macbook Pro are both made in China. Go figure!

As Guitarfxr said though, I'll be back. It's just a matter of when. Maybe if there's a bit of downtime between the Olympics and the Paralympics, I might be fortunate enough to fly back for a week next time around.

Edited by Artstar

Just got a Boss DI-1 Direct Box , for my recording project.

top_L.jpg

i (rayzray) always wanted to get a few of those - (they used to use those things on the stages i used to do concerts on - i hated them -

i started bringing my own "mixer" and putting that output into ONE of their stupid "Direct Boxes" -

i would play with about 5 synths - and when i went to do a "Solo" on one of them - they had that channel volume at "Zero" all the time - they NEVER understood my set up !!!!

Edited by rayzray

I found one of these at Hardoff today , for 300 yen , I have to fix the power part of the circuit, it doesnt power up , Might just be a fuse , who knows , will find out soon

tc-2860sd.JPG

That is beautiful, hope you get it going,

Bob

Me to , I noticed that a fuse was missing , so to do any testing I am going to have to hardwire the power supply bypassing the protection , so that I can get some power to it .

My bet is the fuse blew , and it was so old the owner couldnt find the right fuse , so he ditched it . It has a few small dents , and it has been well used , but looking at the circuit last night , was a thing of beauty , you just dont see point to point wiring , and Mil Spec components like that anymore , it is gorgeous inside .

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought on Ebay an adapter ring M42 to EOS to use old prime lenses on my 40D.

So I bought to begin with, a russian Helios 44-2 (58mm f/2) also on Ebay for ~40$, and I'm looking to buy a Zeiss Flecktogon or Distagon...So if there is someone on the board who would like to sell an old M42 lens, that could interess me !

29d0a9b8-a6f0-4830-97b4-6a3dd95ed681.jpg

Edited by Pastagaman

What does that model look like? I haven't managed to find a decent pic of it online.

It is an odd bird Wiz , runs on 12 volts dc , and has a Battery Compartment for 6 D Batts

the Power Adapter is 300 ma ,

I got a Stylus , and Belt for it today , but learned that the preamp is gone ( yes it has an actual Volume control ) so I have to rebuild the preamp .No Biggie

sl-gm12.jpg

only pic online I could find

Rare bird

I'd seen that pic too, you could share your own, eventually ;)

After I rebuild the circuit , I have it apart right now trying to find the problem , and what parts I need to get , several of the part are going to be hard to find

a set of coils , and part of the preamp were fried ( Apparent damage from using a wrong adapter , probably an AC output adapter instead of the proper DC output .

I can see heat marks on the circuit trace , in parts of the board , and discoloration of a few components )

Sounds like a trip to AKIBA

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Hardoff today ......... :P Ya'll know what that means !!!!!!

Found a pristine Technics SL1200 MK4 , ......... Now I just have to find someone to buy the dang thing .......

Also on my own side , found a very nice condition MZ-NH1 with all goodies , but no box . That almost completes the Sony Collection

sony_mznh1_avwatch3.jpg

MZ-1 -> Mz-R50 -> MZ-N1 -> MZ-NH1 -> MZ-RH1

The First , The best , The first Net Md , The First HiMD , The Last HiMD .......... Cool B)

( I have others , but that is the lineup I want to keep)

Edited by Guitarfxr