SonyStyle store reps = idiots!

Rate this topic

darkangel

okay, a SonyStyle store just opened up near me (roosevelt field mall on LI), and I decided to (read: dragged my gf) go in

They have nice stuff, and i found my self playing with an hd5 when i overheard this conversation:

customer: what this? ::points to an RH10::

sales rep: oh, that's an MP3 player as well (d'oh!!)

customer: what makes it different than that one? ::points to hd5::

rep: well, that one has less capacity (okay...), and has a better screen(true), other than that not really much

customer: whats the difference in capacity?

rep: oh, that one ::pointing to rh10:: has a 1 gigabyte hard disk and the other one has a 20 gigabyte hard disk (huh, did he just say that!!???)

customer: oh, but why are they the same price?

rep: the screen, and that one :: rh10:: has an backlight LCD remote inculded. I wouldn't get it, since they are cancelling support for those models soon (??)

customer: thanks ::walks away::

so, i take it upon myself to talk to the customer and explain that the rh10 is a Hi-MD player, and can record stuff live, and uses cheap removable mindiscs. The customer, confused, seems interested in this and askes more questions about MD. I tell him all i know, and he ends up purchasing it.

Moral of the story...never listen to sales reps cuz they r idiots!!!

lol, i want to go and work at a sony centre just so i can laugh at the morons working with me :lol:

most definitely, wow, i guess its been a while since i've been to roosevelt field...

be interesting to see how the apple store stacks up against the sonystyle store

most definitely, wow, i guess its been a while since i've been to roosevelt field...

be interesting to see how the apple store stacks up against the sonystyle store

believe me the apple store aint much better:

gf: hi, i want an ipod nano

rep: okay, are u interested in the ipod video?

gf: no, i have no use for that much space or video capabilities

rep: u sure? I'm sure your collection will grow in time

gf: it will, but i want a nano!

rep: any accesroies? a dock perhaps? u definitly need a case!

gf: i actually can make my own for about $5 so no. no use for a dock wither. Sorry! ::pissed:: Can you please just sell me the f***king nano!!

and it went on from there. At least the rep knew what he was talking about

Edited by darkangel

That may be, but to be honest I fear that the concept of MD/Hi-MD is way over too many people's heads.

not really actually...

like i said prior, Hi-MD was very easily explained to my customer friend (he didnt seem too computer literate BTW)

just tell them that it requires a little bit of patience(sadly most ppl odnt have this nowadays), and is a great alternative to iPod (they seem to like that), since if they know how to operate an ipod, making the leap to Hi-MD isn't a big one, especially since SS has vastly improved in 3.2/3

rep: any accesroies? a dock perhaps? u definitly need a case!

It's amazing how many similarities there are between Apple and Sony now that you think of it.

Sony: "Well the unit itself is a good price, but then you need a AU$50 8Mb memory card (PS2), even though you can get a 256Mb SD card for the same price".

Apple: "Well the unit itself is a good price, but then you need to pay extra for a longer battery warranty 'cos otherwise we'll screw you out of AU$70. Oh wait, we already did! Unreplaceable battery; who would've thought!".

Sell it cheap and make money on accessories. Not unlike the business model for video game consoles then. (In this case, games being accesories).

Edited by PCManiac

^Exactly!

One thing you guys need to know about retail sales is that product knowledge trails a far way behind the person's "ability" to sell stuff. I.e. Sales experience is what gets people those jobs--it is like that at pretty much every retail place. It's good if you know the product but if you know nothing about electronics but have a lot of sales experience you'll get hired no problem.

That's just the way it is, and yes it is retarded. They don't care whether you know product A from B, just that you can sell both products to the same person when they need neither of them :rolleyes: It's the old "sell a refrigerator to an eskimo" type of thing.

Here's a "fun" thing to try yourself. Make up a resume that puts in very little sales experience but points out lots of knowlege of electronics and that kind of thing. Make up a second one with lots of sales experience, having nothing to do with consumer electronics at all. Then apply for jobs at places like Best Buy or Future Shop or whatever you have in your location--heck even the Sony Store. See which one gets called for an interview, lol.