NW-A608 SI (Snow Silver Special Edition) Pictoral

Rate this topic

kungfool

I happened to be spending this winter in Japan, and I happened to be spending it with my girlfriend, and I happened to be in the market for a NW-608, and my girlfriend happened to want one too. Lucky me, I'm in that rare position to actually buy this special edition package.

It arrived today so I took some pictures to share with all you guys out there on the internet. Before I bought it, I know I was really wondering what some real life pictures of this would look like.

Here are the pictures I have taken so far:

It came inside 4 boxes

outbox3up.th.jpg

box13ci.th.jpg

box21gr.th.jpg

box39wl.th.jpg

openbox0hf.th.jpg

picture without flash

nw608si15tz.th.jpg

picture with flash

nw608si24ik.th.jpg

could be used as a mirror :ol_lol:

nw608si36as.th.jpg

brushed aluminum :ol_cool:

nw608siback19pc.th.jpg

nw608siback21uc.th.jpg

pictures with the screen on:

screendarksnow6ee.th.jpg

screendarkplant6zc.th.jpg

screensnow0jx.th.jpg

screenusb9vh.th.jpg

After Christmas when my girlfriend opens her NW-608SI and we hook 'em up to the computer I'll show what the screen looks like. If anyone has any requests for pictures of any certain part or in any certain environment don't be afraid to ask.

I hope you enjoyed the pictures, and Merry Christmas everyone!

Edited by kungfool

hi, it looks very cool. I am planning to buy a NW-A608/LI from ebay but I'm not sure if the fm tuner will work because of the different radio frequencies in Japan, does yours works well where you live?

Welcome To"Atraclife"

May i know in which country you live???

Also you can check your Country Radio Frequencies

Radio_broadcasting_frequenc...

The radio works great here in Japan, the auto preset found 4 channels that are very crisp and clear, there are a few more channels that can be found manually, but they don't come in as well.

I've added some pictures with screen on... I'm updating my main post to include them

(EDIT) Oh, I think by "where you live" you ment outside of Japan. Well, the radio FM tuner only goes up to 90 mHz so, outside Japan you might not be able to get much. There's always the very slight chance that you could by a Japanese model and flash it with something like the Canadian firmware to change the radio tuner settings, but in all likelyhood that would break your player. I would recommend buying the Canadian version (even if you live in the US because I don't think they are gonna sell the NW-608's in the US) Also it doesn't do AM radio, so most US talk radio is out.

Edited by kungfool

That one is built in... the animation has it "growing up" and blooming, my digital camera won't focus close enough in video mode to take a video of it though... sorry. Maybe later I'll use my DV cam, but my computer's not set up now to interface with DV, so that would take some time.

Oh, and yes as you noted, it is possible to use the NW-E40x/NW-E50x .nwm screensaver files on the NW-608

I don't know if it's possible to download the built in animations... I think thats why sony actually had to "release" the built in animations from the NW-E50x series awhile back. So basically, I can't get at them. Although if you follow the link to the Readymade screens for the 4/5/600 series in Stuge's post above, there is an imitation of the snow falling animation available to download there. I've checked and it's almost the same (mine has another version with a chirstmas tree and santa sled flying across)

On another note, i've tested and found that when going direct from CD -> ATRAC -> NW-A608 (Using Sonic Stage 3.3) Gapless music play DOES work properly.

Here's a link to an imitation of the limited addition snow animation:

http://www.sonymatome.com/walkman/index.ph...%DD%B4%C9%B8%CB

it's from this page:

http://www.sonymatome.com/walkman/index.ph...%DD%B4%C9%B8%CB

This animation seems to be the same as the one on my special edition player, except on mine, during certain times the animation changes to have a christmas tree and santa clause's sled in the background of the falling snow. I haven't tested to figure out if this only happens at night, or only when the date is set near christmas... I'll see if it happens again later tonight, and if it doesn't I'll play around with the date settings some...

I haven't tried it yet, I'm gonna ask someone from sony before I update the firmware, because in the advanced setting -> info area it lists my model number as NW-A608SI and on the firmware update website it says that the affected units are NW-A605/A607/A608 I know it would probably work to update, but I don't wanna loose my special display screens. So first I need to talk to someone in sony to see if this would be overwritten.

Also, recalling the PSP firmware updates, I'm gonna wait awhile and see what little "limitations" they might have included in this firmware along with the added features before I abandon my firmware 1.00

I don`t think there might be any problem with "SI" thing .It just tells that it is special edition & nothing else like Gold editon & Purple model has these model numbers" NWA608N.CEW" & "NWA608V.CEW" respectively

Yeah, I don't mean that I'm worried about breaking the unit, I'm sure the firmware is compatible... I'm worried because the SI edtition is the only one that has different built-in software from all the other NW-A608's available (the special display screens). I'm worried that if I install the standard firmware, I'll get the standard display screens too.

Kungfool,

The A608SI looks great, like a blob of mercury. Thanks for sharing pictures of them. Hope you are both enjoying them.

If only they were available in other countries.

The form and function of the E400/500s & A600s is fantastic

Ishiyoshi's original post mentioned special carrying cases for both units; are they soft or hard plastic ?

• 2 weeks later...

I gave my girlfriend the silverbox version, so she got the exclusive protective cover... It seems to be a hard plastic that's just flexible enough to "snap" on. My blackbox version comes with the standard "velcroe/soft-plastic" carrying case, which I don't use because I keep my player alone in my inside jacket pocket all the time.

The new firmware 2.0 for NW-A60x series works just fine with my NW-A608/SI. No detrimental effects and its exclusive display screen remains intact.

Great, thanks for taking the plunge so I didn't have to. I always try and wait and read experiences before flashing new firmwares...

• 1 month later...

madleet3 have you read this

This animation seems to be the same as the one on my special edition player, except on mine, during certain times the animation changes to have a christmas tree and santa clause's sled in the background of the falling snow. I haven't tested to figure out if this only happens at night, or only when the date is set near christmas... I'll see if it happens again later tonight, and if it doesn't I'll play around with the date settings some...