The November, 2005 HI-MD player

Rate this topic

Mikami

Here are some compressed digital pitures of my new Blue MZ-EH70. I used a Minolta Dimage X20 to take these pics. If this review is not clear please tell me what you want to know or want to see and I will add it. THANKS to the MiniDisc forum and Kurisu for help and letting me post.

The Body of this unit consists of:

A full light blue metal frame, two mirror like chrome strips (one for the name plate and one for the buttons on the back), and a white rubber or plastic molding to guard the unit from scratches while using the charger stand and while using the battery attachment.

Comes with:

White headphones, white remote, a white and clear plastic stand

A white a grey carrying pouch, black AC adaptor, NH-14WM (A) Battery and plastic Battier case, an attachment for a double A battery, operation manual, a questionnaire about the MZ-EH70 and audio units, and a “Pit-in” advertisement.

Special features or abilities:

It recharges in about 3 to 4 hours

Virtuaphone Technology Acoustic Engine

HD Digital Amplifier

Adjustable play Speed control

A~B Play back

6 Band Equalizer

Heavy (SND H)

Pops (SND P)

Jazz (SND J)

Unique (SND U)

Custom1 (SND 1)

Custom 2 (SND 2)

(It does not play MP3 or WMA!)

BUT, it does play linearPCM and Atrac

Studio (SUR S)

Live (SUR L)

Club (SUR C)

Arena (SUR A)

Here are two sites that provide correct and clear information about this unit:

(1) TechJapan has a quick but clear read:

http://www.techjapan.com/Article1153.html

(2)Ishiyoshi’s awesome post provides some great info:

http://forums.minidisc.org/lofiversion/index.php/t12592.html

And do not forget to Check out:

http://www.sony.net/Products/walkman/flash/index.html

When I went to buy this unit (the blue MZ-EH70) the sale person at the Kawasaki Yodobashi was quick to point out that this was a HI-MD unit but was also able to play normal MD as well. The sale person also quickly apologized that the black and the pink version of this unit were sold out but I could place an order for them or be put on a waiting list, if I wanted those colors. That all happened before I was able to open my mouth to tell him that I wanted the blue version of the unit.

This unit (MZ-EH70) is very light, in fact is feels much lighter than any of my HI-MD recorders. This unit is also much smaller than the other 2nd generation HI-MD player only unit (MZ-EH930). This unit also feels stronger than the other new player (MZ-EH50). In my opinion my old MZ-NH1 is still the best player/recorder unit around, but this new blue MZ-EH70 (player only unit) is just as light, small, strong, cool, and even more useful (as a player). This player unit will keep me from hurting and using my Hi-MD recorders too much. The universal power adapter ability is another great feature for people who travel a lot like me, or for people to whom this unit might in the future be exported, to. If you want a cheap, small, light, stylish, and dynamic HI-MD player then you should get the Sony MZ-EH70.

[attachmentid=1099] [attachmentid=1083] [attachmentid=1084]

[attachmentid=1085] [attachmentid=1086] [attachmentid=1087]

[attachmentid=1088] [attachmentid=1089] [attachmentid=1091]

[attachmentid=1092] [attachmentid=1093] [attachmentid=1094]

[attachmentid=1095] [attachmentid=1097] [attachmentid=1098]

[attachmentid=1100] [attachmentid=1101] [attachmentid=1102]

[attachmentid=1127] [attachmentid=1128] [attachmentid=1129]

[attachmentid=1130]

post-6144-1131715575_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1131715598_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1131715624_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1131715671_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1131715699_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1131715722_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1131715741_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1131715796_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1131715817_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1131715838_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1131715862_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1131715876_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1131715922_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1131715940_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1131839697_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1131839716_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1131839744_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1131839783_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1132447841_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1132447870_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1132447902_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1132447920_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mikami

to: AMPlitude

1.Sorry, this unit 'seems' to be only for Japan

to: ingoo

2.No, there is no group button on the unit

3.You are right, EH1 is thinner

to: ynos and richyhu

4. the entire shell or frame is metal and the paint finnish on the back is the same as the front

5. Sony also change the poches on the other new Hi-MD player that just came out.

to: MDX-400

6. Yeah, this unit did not get much if any press from Sony

to: StarknigHT

7. I like the buttons on this model better than the other new model.

extra info:

The body of the unit was made in Malaysia

The stand was made in Indonesia

The AC-ES3010k3 AC Power adaptor 3V was made in Thailand; and has an input: ca100-240v

and an output: cc3v (Also and Input: AC100-240V~ 50/60Hz 5w 8-12VA output: DC3V---1A)

The electronics inside where created in Japan but some where made out side of japan

The remote model number is:RM-MC38EL

regards,

Mikami

Edited by Mikami

Excellent pictures and review, Mikami!! It's good to see you back, as always. It's really interesting to hear how this unit has sold well in Japan, and I can understand why considering the playback times for PCM. I think Sony messed up a bit by not catering to MP3, considering their latest Walkman (hdd unit) can do atrac, wma, mp3, etc. Nonetheless, this unit has some of the best battery figures in certain areas and would be very interesting to have.

I'll see what I can do about getting this mentioned on the front page! We encourage all members to share such exclusive reviews through us. :)

Edited by kurisu

You say is that right - I thought that was not a Kanji-capable remote? Seems strange that they would release a Japan-only model without a Kanji-capable remote - or is it the RM-MC35ELK?

id think that if it was a japan-only unit, it should support kanji...

You say is that right - I thought that was not a Kanji-capable remote? Seems strange that they would release a Japan-only model without a Kanji-capable remote - or is it the RM-MC35ELK?

That's a good question! And this remote 'seems' to be only capable of Hiragana, Katakana, and Romaji. So far All the Kanji titles that were on my HI-MDs have either been changed into Hiragana, katakana, or (.......). I will have to post some pictures of the remote, soon. The number pinted on the back of this remote is RM-MC38EL. However, the manual for this player did not give any number for this remote.

thanks,

Mikami

P.S.

Maybe, Katakana and Hiragana or just cooler than Kanji these days

or maybe the by not displaying kanji it somes how helps conserve the battery power of the unit. I think my older Sharp IM-DR80's remote did this same short of thing.

But, other Hi-MD remotes display kanji and work just as well with this unit.

Edited by Mikami

Excellent pictures and review, Mikami!! It's good to see you back, as always. It's really interesting to hear how this unit has sold well in Japan, and I can understand why considering the playback times for PCM. I think Sony messed up a bit by not catering to MP3, considering their latest Walkman (hdd unit) can do atrac, wma, mp3, etc. Nonetheless, this unit has some of the best battery figures in certain areas and would be very interesting to have.

I'll see what I can do about getting this mentioned on the front page! We encourage all members to share such exclusive reviews through us. :)

Thanks, it is great to feel so welcomed on the MD forums.

Well, it is very hard to know just who Sony was trying to market the new Hi-MD players to. I also, think it is strange and (sad) that the top of the line 2nd generation Hi-MD recording units can do all the major formats but the new players can't and some of the former ones couldn't either.

What I hope is that this means Sony was marketing these new units for and to the old school MD "push and play" and "push and record" type of people in hopes of converting them over to the better and cooler HI-MD format.

Sony might have been because they also included and advertisment for the "PIT-IN" HI-MD drive. So, it would appear they anticipated that some people would by this new HI-MD player thinking that it was a just a normal MDLP player or not even awear of HI-MD. After all most people that have a HI-MD recorder do not need the "PIT-IN" but someone who might not have know about HI-MD and who bought this unit not knowing it was a HI-MD unit might want to take advantage of the new the new tech. (Also, Yodobashi's homepage did not list this new unit with the HI-MD players but with the normal MD protable players. as of a few days ago, they now list this new unit in both catagories: Hi-MD portable and in MD portable)

Anyway, that type of people mentioned above might also welcome a HI-MD boom box of some sort, they probably do not use the computer very much, think it is too much trouble, or are not computer litt when it comes to converting music files. Those types of people are the same people buying all the NET-MD players and boom boxes that have not, yet stoped being brought out.

If, that is the case maybe we can expect some new HI-MD boom boxes by Sony, Sharp, and maybe other companies. This all may be crazy, but I hope this is the case. If not then maybe they are thinking of droping mp3 all together and that would be very bad!

Wow, it would be cool to be on the front page, but even if you are not able to have it put there I thank you for the compliment anyway.

see you later,

Mikami

Thanks for taking the time to share this Pictorial-Review with the community, Mikami! This is indeed one unique unit.

No, problem. It was my pleasure

Edited by Mikami

I looked at those units in person this evening at my local Yodobashi and I like everything about them; the size, the battery life, and the colors...pink for me and a spare one in blue. Mikami, will you continue to use the 38el remote with this unit or switch it for a 40elk? Also, where does the spare battery pack go; on the side like the rh10 or on the bottom like every other unit?

Edited by bland10000

I looked at those units in person this evening at my local Yodobashi and I like everything about them; the size, the battery life, and the colors...pink for me and a spare one in blue. Mikami, will you continue to use the 38el remote with this unit or switch it for a 40elk? Also, where does the spare battery pack go; on the side like the rh10 or on the bottom like every other unit?

The spare battery pack goes on the side of the unit closest to the the Sony emblem. It's the side of the unit but it is also the bottom when it is resting in the charger stand.

Yes, I will switch to the RM-MC40ELK, I like that remote a lot better than either the RM-MC35ELK or the RM-MC38EL. Too, bad the cord on the 40elk isn't white(Just joking). I know this sounds childish, but I just can't stand those white earphones that came with the unit. I enjoy the look, feel, and the sound of the mdr-d66 you told me about. Also, it's cold these days and eggo headphones help keep my ears nice and warm!

Your suit in the picture doesn't look like it goes with Pink but you might find a tie or some socks to match the unit. I haven't found anything that really matches the color of the 40elk remote, yet.

I have been stoped by the fashion police a few times in Japan, you really have to be careful thesedays esp with the summer cool biz thing Koizumi started, and with his new winter biz season coming, soon.

nice to see you again,

Mikami

I wish I could find a stocking cap with ear-holes, that would be perfect for winter use with the 66's. This year I don't have to wear a suit as I'm now teaching at night-school; neither teachers nor students have to wear a uniform but our huku-kocho sensei can't relax enough to spend a weekday without a tie.

I haven't heard of Koizumi's winter biz wardrobe. I have taken a break from reading the newspaper; the news from America was too often about war and the news in Japan was too often about embezzlement. I miss the days when ore-ore phone calls were the headlines.

likewise, nice to chat again...

Edited by bland10000

Beautiful pics! And I LOVE THOSE BUTTONS!! (why they didn't offer a GROUP button is just plain rediculous). I also don't understand why they push "Linear PCM playback" on the box... what average person 1) even knows what PCM IS, and 2) would even CARE?! Ok, ok, the "average person" buys an iPod anyway, but I just don't get why they plug that.

Though I find the all-metal body, the buttons, and the NiMH gumstick capability all attractive, I prefer my EH1 due to the plain, hard-edged SQUARE that it is... I don't like rounded, sleek corners or odd angles (another reason why I've never been attracted to the NH1). But certainly that's just ME.

Anyway, looks cool regardless, and thanks for sharing all those pics!

Mikami,

do you know the construction of the EH50? is it metal back and front?

I did not spend much time looking at the EH50, I was hooked on the EH70 wich is all metal.

The EH50 I saw did have a metal front but not the same metal as the EH70. The back of the EH50 almost felt like metal and was the same color as the front of the unit, but I am pretty sure it was plastic.

If you are getting a unit and you want to be sure that it is all metal then go for the EH70.

over and out,

Mikami

I did not spend much time looking at the EH50, I was hooked on the EH70 wich is all metal.

The EH50 I saw did have a metal front but not the same metal as the EH70. The back of the EH50 almost felt like metal and was the same color as the front of the unit, but I am pretty sure it was plastic.

If you are getting a unit and you want to be sure that it is all metal then go for the EH70.

over and out,

Mikami

thanks a lot

hows the new dust bag like?

hows the new dust bag like?

One, one hand it is a nice change! I was getting tired of the gray only bags. It sure has enough room for a mic, audio cables, and ect. The bottom of the bag is cushy, thick, and stronger than the rest of the bag. The only down side to the bag is: it is 'I think' made out of white nylon that could potentially attract more dirt esp the shoe string part of the bag could pick up oils from one's hand. One can always wash it, like one would wash a backback made out of simular material.

sorry to get back to you so late,

Mikami

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't heard of Koizumi's winter biz wardrobe.

Well, this winter biz thing didn't take off. I think they change the name to warm biz recently, but when I first heard about it I am sure it was winter biz. Sorry, if I told you the wrong name for this season's sales gimmick.

Oh, I saw your new pink Sony MZ-EH70. Looks great!(I am slow, I just saw it)

Now, I have to ask you: do you like Sony's or Sharp's MD units color options better? And does your Sony MZ-EH70 in your opinion stand up to the sharp MD Player units that you have? The Sony MZ-EH70 has some neat sound opitions and it is my favorite player only unit at the moment, but I know Sharps players have: four poles on their plugs, 1-bit, Delta Sgima, Sharps own slight variation on the atracs codex, various colors, and they usually always have a metal frame. What to you grab before when you are ready to walk out your door, or when you just need some portable music?

see ya later,

Mikami

P.S.

I am tempted to buy Sharps MD-DR77 recorder, unit. Althought, I know I shouldn't, it still temps me(it does not come in many colors though, although sharps player only units have more yumy colors).

Edited by Mikami

...Now, I have to ask you: do you like Sony's or Sharp's MD units color options better? And does your Sony MZ-EH70 in your opinion stand up to the sharp MD Player units that you have? The Sony MZ-EH70 has some neat sound opitions and it is my favorite player only unit at the moment, but I know Sharps players have: four poles on their plugs, 1-bit, Delta Sgima, Sharps own slight variation on the atracs codex, various colors, and they usually always have a metal frame. What to you grab before when you are ready to walk out your door, or when you just need some portable music?

see ya later,

Mikami

P.S.

I am tempted to buy Sharps MD-DR77 recorder, unit. Althought, I know I shouldn't, it still temps me(it does not come in many colors though, although sharps player only units have more yumy colors).

I prefer the color options of the older Sharp units; the last two releases by Sharp just haven't tickled my fancy.

Between the two, Sony and Sharp, I still prefer Sharp if I have a choice between hearing the music in SP and hi-SP. The benefit I have received from using the hi-md units is I can get more music on a disc and the three-line remote, 40-elk, makes it easier to browse what is on the disc.

The unit I choose when I go out the door depends upon how long I intend to be out for. If I am going to and from work then I will grab a Sharp or Kenwood. If I am going to be out all day and listening to music I will take the eh70 since I can load more music onto it.

I do think the hd-amp in the recent Sony units, legacy and hi-md, are equitable to the clarity of the Sharp auvi but I prefer the signature sound of Sharp over Kenwood and Sony.

I too am tempted to get the dr77, I like the blue unit and I don't know if Sharp will ever release another portable recorder.

p.s. Since schools don't have hi-md compatible players, I try to always use a legacy model when going to work so I know that what I brought with me will work in players at school.

p.s.s. I am really close to picking up an eh-50, the Bic Camera at Yokohama station has them on sale for 14,800. I assume I will eventually get one so why not get it while it is on sale...

Edited by bland10000

Between the two, Sony and Sharp, I still prefer Sharp if I have a choice between hearing the music in SP and hi-SP. The benefit I have received from using the hi-md units is I can get more music on a disc and the three-line remote, 40-elk, makes it easier to browse what is on the disc.

The unit I choose when I go out the door depends upon how long I intend to be out for. If I am going to and from work then I will grab a Sharp or Kenwood. If I am going to be out all day and listening to music I will take the eh70 since I can load more music onto it.

I really do like the new audio play back options of Sony's eh-70(they are great for language learning and just playing around)you can speed up or slow down music and ect, but Sharp does great things with their Auvi line and the Delta-Sigma formula. Wow, the EH-50 for 14,800 nice price if you get or have got it please write or post something about it.

Hmm, you make some great points, it is hard for me to share music/recordings with others when I only have my HI-MD units with me.

If, I record something with a HI-MD unit or if I only have a HI-MD disc or formated disc then I can not share unless I line in the audio to them or I let them borrow my head phones and I would never let any of my students or fellow teachers borrow my Sony eggos. Yeah, I think I should get the sharp MD-DR77. It must be a good unit it came out in 2004 and is still on sale.

Season Greatings,

Mikami

What does Sharp have to do with Avril Levigne?

Nothing at all; note: Mikami meant Sharp AUVI and not the singer.

Sharp AUVI (1-bit) is an advanced digital amplication technology that has astonished industry and audiophiles alike with crystal clear, vivid sound. Sharp’s 1-Bit converts analog signals into digital, while its ultra-high speed sampling rate captures detailed, high frequency sounds. The technology generates relatively little heat compared to traditional analog designs, and requires far less energy to generate the same output levels.

Nothing at all; note: Mikami meant Sharp AUVI and not the singer.

Sharp AUVI (1-bit) is an advanced digital amplication technology that has astonished industry and audiophiles alike with crystal clear, vivid sound. Sharp’s 1-Bit converts analog signals into digital, while its ultra-high speed sampling rate captures detailed, high frequency sounds. The technology generates relatively little heat compared to traditional analog designs, and requires far less energy to generate the same output levels.

Either you upped the sarcasm level another notch, or you didn't realize I was being just plain silly.

Seasons Greetings:

to: theblueraja, thank you for the humor

to: Ishiyoshi , thank you for keeping an eye on this thread.

Well, you are both right...

One: Avril Levigne does not have much to do with sharp, I think she looks like a sony artist and she is releasing titles on that crazy "dual disc"(doubble sided CD/DVD) thing. A MiniDisc release would be much easier to prevent scratches and handle.(but that is not likely)

Two: Sharps Auvi/Delta-Sigma (D) modulation and auvi chips are great and save or uses less battery power and does great job of converting anolog to digital.

For more information on Delta-sigma modulation and Auvi check these links out:

(1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta-sigma_modulation

(2) http://www.sharp.co.jp/corporate/rd/journal-77/12-7-3a.htm

(3) http://www.sharp.co.jp/corporate/rd/26/26-3-2a.html

However, Sony's recent imporvments in their amp technology and their new PCM ability afforded to HI-MD units enable them to compete with sharp and with these new players they maybe said to have the last laugh for, now.

The new "Sony EH-70" reviewed on this thread has great battery life, and sound abilites! This player can boast:

(1) Virtuaphone Technology Acoustic Engine (sharp might have something like this)

(2) HD Digital Amplifier (pretty standard on HI-MD units these days and maybe even better than Auvi )

(3) Adjustable play Speed control/or pitch control (I have not seen too many MD players with this ability and I think this is a real plus for play back fun, listening, learning, and even creation of a new world in which to hear old songs one might be bored of in an amazing way on the road or anywhere but in the water)

(4) A~B Play back ( standard these days on some units)

(5) 6 Band Equalizer (nothing so special here, but it still is fun to use in combination with the adjustable play speed control)

In summery Sharp AUVI 1 bit tech is cool, but Sony's new HI-MD players (and PCM) are cooler/or more faithful and Avril Levigne should probably use MiniDisc more if she does not already for recording purposes esp since DAT might be on its way out.

See you later,

三上

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've read, you can turn off all EQ settings and pump the volume up to 25/30 to make a comparable signal out.

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but how do we know if the volume level is at 25/30? I have a RH910 and all I've got is a vol bar.