Problem with NH1's Remote Control

Rate this topic

jkleres

for the second time now the volume buttons on the remote control of my nh1 don't work any more. I had it repaired through Sony earlier, but a couple of months later now the same problem comes up again.

Does anybody have similar experience to share?

Is there a way to get a new remote for a reasonable price?

Thanks,

Jochen

I would call Sony and demand that you get a new remote. They will probably try and push a refurbished one on you at this point, but if you cite your previous woes and their attempt to fix it, along with your continued frustration, they should cater to you. I've gotten out-of-warranty units repaired by pushing the right social buttons whilst speaking to the "support" there.

I had it after 9 months with my nh1 - i found it to be the worst sony product i ever owned (saved my allowance for my first sony portable radio in 1966 and have been a customer ever since.)

the remote died completely, the nh1 for a while only recorded on the first 45 min of each disc, sony accepted my complaints and offered a refurbished unit after 9 months. I told them I didn't want a refurb and they actually offered me my $300. back!

I used the money to buy a MZM100 and have been thrilled (except the remote stinks) - I'm saving for an MC 40ELK (the original NH1 remote) and hope it works with the M100.

for the second time now the volume buttons on the remote control of my nh1 don't work any more. I had it repaired through Sony earlier, but a couple of months later now the same problem comes up again.

Does anybody have similar experience to share?

Is there a way to get a new remote for a reasonable price?

Thanks,

Jochen

Nooooo - !!! -

I was set to buy NH-1 (over RH-10 ) because NH-1 has proper line out and line in = and now i'm reading this ...post # 1 about problems wit NH-1 remote by jkleres , and post # 7 by kpayson that he had problems with NH-1 unit.

Should i re-consider my purchase of NH-1 and seek MZM-100 ?

As i was writing in my previous posts i need proper line in = to record from any source (but not microphone), and i like proper or good enough line out = to listen (not via head phones) but via speakers.

1]. My choices are NH-910 , RH-10 , NH-1 , and now for the first time i learn about MZM-100 model.

2]. From what i know by now is, that only NH-1 has proper line out (and line in) - , and NH-910 and RH-10 could be set by turning Eq. OFF, and volume to the Max, to use it as a line out, and apparently the sound will come out in quite OK quality , (but perhaps not as good as from proper line out). (( ?and im not sure about 900 model if it has both lines? ))

3]. I was trying to find out if MZM-100 has proper line out, - can I ask You kpayson to verify that for me, Please. (how old is the MZM-100 model ?).

Do You really recommend it , and how is the sound quality, did You ever listen

via speakers ?.

What are the Pros and Cons of this unit ?

4]. And to any other owners of NH-1, do You really recommend NH-1 ?? , are there any more problems with it beside remote ?

ThankYou for any info.

I have only You guys to help me with making my choice :)

Edited by Human

I just got a new NHF800 and I am glad I didn't the get NH1. I don't like small screen and I don't use remote control. ;)

ynos , -

Hi , -

With our reading any more opinions on NH-1 form other owners those few words from You (ThaNX for it) are enough for me now to disqualify the NH-1 as a potential buy for me.

Not much left for me in that case.

Except i think the RH-10 , and perhaps MZM-100 but i need to find out if it has proper line "out" or at least simulated line out - [similar to RH-10], because from what i understand MZM-100 it has

proper line "in" - (or am i mistaken about that) ??

Edited by Human

it has proper line "in" - (or am i mistaken about that) ??

Human... except for the D-models (NH600D, RH710D) and the camera model (DH10P), all HiMD's feature a "real" line in, a mic in (except for the NH600 and the RH710) and a headphone out.

Only the NH1 and the NH900 have the menu option to switch this headphone out to a "line out"... it still is the same "port" and the menu feature line out simply is a one-stop option to turn off all equalizing and raise the volume to the maximum...so... all other HiMD models (like the RH10, RH910, NH800/700...) can imitate this 'line-out' feature by manually turning the EQ off and raising the volume (Dex has measured that this has virtually no difference from the NH1's or NH900's line out mode)

so human, I do understand that you want to be sure before you buy anything ...but this part of your question really should be answered by now.

to be honest: there really are three models that should interest you:

-NH900 (for its line out ease)

-RH10 and RH910

the NH1 needs the remote for a number of functions and you can't use its line out mode with the remote attached so just forget about that one

the remotes don't matter as you will be connecting to a stereo mostly so you could just get a North-Am version of the RH10

just take a pick:

-get the NH900 if you can find it cheaply (which isn't easy unless you live in australia so your choice could become very easy)

-get the RH10 if you like a nice screen and think it is worth the extra money

-get the RH910 if you don't

I do not want to rush you or be rude Human, but I really do not think that posting even more questions is going to make your choice easier ... just read the minidisc.org equipment browser for details on specs and the product reviews section for reviews, look which models you can get easily and get one... using HiMD is much more fun than discussing it :lol:

hope you will enjoy the HiMD-experience

Human... except for the D-models (NH600D, RH710D) and the camera model (DH10P), all HiMD's feature a "real" line in, a mic in (except for the NH600 and the RH710) and a headphone out.

Only the NH1 and the NH900 have the menu option to switch this headphone out to a "line out"... it still is the same "port" and the menu feature line out simply is a one-stop option to turn off all equalizing and raise the volume to the maximum...so... all other HiMD models (like the RH10, RH910, NH800/700...) can imitate this 'line-out' feature by manually turning the EQ off and raising the volume (Dex has measured that this has virtually no difference from the NH1's or NH900's line out mode)

so human, I do understand that you want to be sure before you buy anything ...but this part of your question really should be answered by now.

to be honest: there really are three models that should interest you:

-NH900 (for its line out ease)

-RH10 and RH910

the NH1 needs the remote for a number of functions and you can't use its line out mode with the remote attached so just forget about that one

the remotes don't matter as you will be connecting to a stereo mostly so you could just get a North-Am version of the RH10

just take a pick:

-get the NH900 if you can find it cheaply (which isn't easy unless you live in australia so your choice could become very easy)

-get the RH10 if you like a nice screen and think it is worth the extra money

-get the RH910 if you don't

I do not want to rush you or be rude Human, but I really do not think that posting even more questions is going to make your choice easier ... just read the minidisc.org equipment browser for details on specs and the product reviews section for reviews, look which models you can get easily and get one... using HiMD is much more fun than discussing it :lol:

hope you will enjoy the HiMD-experience

Hi 'The Low Volta' , and Thank You

45 minutes ago I've just found this post by KJ Palmer ( to some one else) and this helped me to make my final decision = to get NH900.

I apologize for streEEetching this posting for so loOOOng, but i was not very familiar with all those technical terms. Now i understand much better.

I appreciate ALL of You who answer my posts.

Thanks for Your patience and friendly attitude :)

I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada - so i might have a hard time to find it here, or in USA , i will be looking and checking for web sites that are reputable to buy it form if they have it.

KJ_Palmer

Post #25

[Advisor/Ex-Moderator]

I have both the RH10 and the NH900. They're very different - the main advantage (to me) of the NH900 is that it can still record directly in the 'legacy' formats (ie. SP, mono, LP2 and LP4) of the old MD and NetMD machines. These options are only available on the RH10- through software downloads.

Well apart from what's already been mentioned, soundwise, the RH10 possibly has a slight edge over the NH900 through its new digital amp, but to be honest there's not much in it... The NH900 has a 'line out' mode, which is very useful for playback and (analogue) recording though external equipment like headphone amps and stereo receivers. The RH10 sadly lacks a line out mode, but one can be approximated by adjusting the sound settings...

Well, l've kept the NH900 and bought an RH10, because, as usual with Sony equipment, they both have valuable, mutually exclusive features which I don't want to miss out on.... So I couldnt say what's best for you.. if you simply want to upgrade and only want the new formats for recording, go for the RH10, it's a worthy successor...\

....Thanks KJ_Palmer - that is / was great info.

Human

Cheers ..... :)

Nooooo - !!! -

I was set to buy NH-1 (over RH-10 ) because NH-1 has proper line out and line in = and now i'm reading this ...post # 1 about problems wit NH-1 remote by jkleres , and post # 7 by kpayson that he had problems with NH-1 unit.

Should i re-consider my purchase of NH-1 and seek MZM-100 ?

As i was writing in my previous posts i need proper line in = to record from any source (but not microphone), and i like proper or good enough line out = to listen (not via head phones) but via speakers.

1]. My choices are NH-910 , RH-10 , NH-1 , and now for the first time i learn about MZM-100 model.

2]. From what i know by now is, that only NH-1 has proper line out (and line in) - , and NH-910 and RH-10 could be set by turning Eq. OFF, and volume to the Max, to use it as a line out, and apparently the sound will come out in quite OK quality , (but perhaps not as good as from proper line out). (( ?and im not sure about 900 model if it has both lines? ))

3]. I was trying to find out if MZM-100 has proper line out, - can I ask You kpayson to verify that for me, Please. (how old is the MZM-100 model ?).

Do You really recommend it , and how is the sound quality, did You ever listen

via speakers ?.

What are the Pros and Cons of this unit ?

4]. And to any other owners of NH-1, do You really recommend NH-1 ?? , are there any more problems with it beside remote ?

ThankYou for any info.

I have only You guys to help me with making my choice :)

I've had the NH1 for 1 month but so far i've had no problem whatsoever with it. the unit is small and the buttons take some time to used to it but I almost never use the button on the unit itself anyway. The remote is great, hasn't had a problem. my battery last about 14 to 16 hours during playback of track encoded in SP.

so far i'm happy with it. the unit is really small and light and it fits in my pocket just nice.

btw i've got another question. I bought the unit from www.minidisc.com.au so i'm assuming that the unit is australian unit right? but the back of the unit states that it's made in japan... so is there any difference between the 2 unit??

I've had the NH1 for 1 month but so far i've had no problem whatsoever with it. the unit is small and the buttons take some time to used to it but I almost never use the button on the unit itself anyway. The remote is great, hasn't had a problem. my battery last about 14 to 16 hours during playback of track encoded in SP.

so far i'm happy with it. the unit is really small and light and it fits in my pocket just nice.

btw i've got another question. I bought the unit from www.minidisc.com.au so i'm assuming that the unit is australian unit right? but the back of the unit states that it's made in japan... so is there any difference between the 2 unit??

I have had a NH1 for about 2 months and the only problem I have found is that when transfering a large amount of audio it a disc in one attempt dousn't work it swiches off after about 2 cd's worth unless I have the battery in the player whilst transfering....

:unsure: