How do *you* download/convert/store/edit?

Rate this topic

mgdimo

It may be helpful for the clueless (or slightly clued) to hear a consensus on how you manage your downloaded files, post SonicStage.

Where/what format do you store?

What program(s) do you use to convert?

What editing program do you use?

What order do you do this stuff?

What else?

Please weigh in. Right now, for me, I have overcrowded MDs and overcrowded SS. I need to get to work. How do you manage?

Recording usually in PCM mode, SS 3.2 or 3.3 for uploading and conversion to *.wav - i dont use SS for anything other than that - compress it to *.flac for backup before applying any editing, save it on HD. After that, the MD can be formatted and re-recorded.

For editing Cooledit Pro / Adobe Audition with FLAC plugin.

All the conversion tools you need (mp3/flac...) can be found at http://www.rarewares.org/. Always keep at least one copy of your lossless original, whatever storage media you use.

I use mostly wav files. I "upload" real time using Audacity. I edit with Audacity and sometimes the Nero wav editor. I also use Krystal Audio Engine or Mackie's Tracktion for more complex mixing needs. If I need to rip a CD to MD directly I'll use Simple Burner or CD deck to MD deck via optical. For CD ripping I use CD Extractor or EAC but I rely heavily on CD Extractor. For playback I use Winamp but mostly shoutcast type stuff.

I don't store very much on my computer. Most stuff gets burned back to CD-R. I do have some MP3's I recently downloaded but I have to burn some audio CD's from them. Sonic Stage is manly used to title my discs.