Store 13 hours of music on a standard 80 min. MD

Rate this topic

Human

Hi Forum Friends

Sony MZ-RH10

and

Sony MZ-RH910 Features:

Compatible with both Hi-MD\u2122 and Standard MiniDisc media - store 13 hours of music on a standard 80 minute MD

1]. Please, can someone explain to me what kind of quality this 13 hours capacity music is, - is it the same as LP-2 or LP-4 on regular mini discs recorded on regular MD machine.

2]. Or is lesser or better music quality (like Stereo) recorded on regular machines - ( in my case on Sony MDS-JE 470 deck).

3]. And is this 13 hour music capacity option is only available on Hi-MD machines, what other portable MD models have this option and how is this option exactly called. - ??

ThNX so much :)

It's Atrac3+ at 48 kbps, about the same or lower quality than the 66 kbps LP4. It's only available through Sonicstage for HiMD machines. I wouldn't use it for music, if you need to fit as much information as possible on a disc though, it should be acceptable for speech at least. Just my subjective opinion. Such HiMD mode re-formatted discs are not compatible with standard (Net)MD playback.

1]. Please, can someone explain to me what kind of quality this 13 hours capacity music is, - is it the same as LP-2 or LP-4 on regular mini discs recorded on regular MD machine.

Atrac 3+ 48kbps

2]. Or is lesser or better music quality (like Stereo) recorded on regular machines - ( in my case on Sony MDS-JE 470 deck).

I believe its either true or joint stereo its not mono for sure

3]. And is this 13 hour music capacity option is only available on Hi-MD machines, what other portable MD models have this option and how is this option exactly called. - ??

Any HiMD/netMD bitrate codec can be used on a HiMD formatted 60/74/80min disc

Again every ear is different, the easiest thing is record a song on the same disc at different bit rates and see if you can tell the difference. Use something with a piano and low levels for the best results, and also a song you are very familiar with.

I use all th bitrstes, depends on what I want and what I am recordind, Doesn't make sense to use PCM on a 60 year old mono recording.

Try it for yourself.

Bob

I couldn't listen to it, wish I could. I'm moving to 352kps now. :wacko: But if you can thats great. You get a ton of stuff on a disk. B)

I think I'm turning into a Audiophile myself. BTW I checked the spelling because I wasn't sure myself and turned up this word...

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=autophile ;)

Edited by Sparky191

i ThankYou ALL for ansWering previous question.

I have one more ....

is recording & listening to music in LP-4 considered to be dTe un-pardonable audio-sin ??

I know that it depends on dhe quality of the stereo unit and dhe speakers - but aside form tHat - is LP-4 considered to be aS prostituting of audio / of music ??

?? Will i burn in audio hell where dhere will be no sound at all. :)

The current Hi-MD recorders (including RH910 and RH10) can record in three quality settings, namely PCM (1.4 Mbps), Hi-SP (256 kbps) and Hi-LP (64 kbps). A 1GB Hi-MD disk can hold 1 hour and 34 minutes, 7 hours and 55 minutes or 34 hours respectively in those formats.

When you record through your pc you have a choice of more bitrates (including LP2 and LP4).

ThNX , -

i agree with You as to LP-4 mode and music quality. But the time available in LP4 mode is tempting.

... so in that case what is the corresponding to LP-2 set-Up in Hi-MD units (how many hours on 80 md disc) ... =>?

from ::: eriktous ::: quoting ::: "" The current Hi-MD recorders (including RH910 and RH10) can record in three quality settings, namely PCM (1.4 Mbps), Hi-SP (256 kbps) and Hi-LP (64 kbps). A 1GB Hi-MD disk can hold 1 hour and 34 minutes, 7 hours and 55 minutes or 34 hours respectively in those formats.""

- so the answer to my question should be ::: Hi-LP (256 kbps). ==> 7 hours and 55 minutes ... YES ???

Edited by Human

This chart should answer your questions about recording capacities with different modes / disks:

http://www.minidisc.org/hi-md_faq.html#_q93

ThNX greenmachine

but forgive me - i do not understand that chart.

Maybe i will ask my question this way.

I have Sony MDS-JE 470 deck with Stereo , Mono , LP2 and LP4 modes. And on that unit i can not record in any other mode if i like to get LP2 quality but more capacity on the 80 min regular mini disc.

Now if i buy portable Hi-MD unit and would like to record on Hi-MD disc (in LP-2 quality ) record direct from a CD player, or, from my JE-470 deck - will that be possible ==>??

I do not have any music on my computer and I'm not planning to use computer to do any MD or Hi-MD recordings.

I like to buy Hi-MD player /recorder unit and to record directly from CD player [via line "out-in" not via microphone] ( in minimum LP-2 quality or better ) but to be able to put more music on one disc - is this possible => ??.... and if it is possible how many hours can i get => ??

ThNX zzo much :)

Edited by Human

ThNX greenmachine

but forgive me - i do not understand that chart.

Maybe i will ask my question this way.

I have Sony MDS-JE 470 deck with Stereo , Mono , LP2 and LP4 modes. And on that unit i can not record in any other mode if i like to get LP2 quality but more capacity on the 80 min regular mini disc.

Now if i buy portable Hi-MD unit and would like to record on Hi-MD disc (in LP-2 quality ) record direct from a CD player, or, from my JE-470 deck - will that be possible ==>??

I do not have any music on my computer and I'm not planning to use computer to do any MD or Hi-MD recordings.

I like to buy Hi-MD player /recorder unit and to record directly from CD player [via line "out-in" not via microphone] ( in minimum LP-2 quality or better ) but to be able to put more music on one disc - is this possible => ??.... and if it is possible how many hours can i get => ??

ThNX zzo much :)

You can't record to LP2 on a Hi-Md formatted disc via line/optical in. You can do this with Sonic Stage but not with Simple Burner.

With Hi-MD formated discs you can record to 64K, 256 and PCM via optical-in on the unit itself. Or to SP, LP2, LP4 but with the disc formatted to Net MD mode. So to answer your question you would have to use Sonic Stage to put Atrac132 on a Hi-MD formatted disc or record via Optical In to Hi-SP and you would get about 2 albums worth on an 80 Min disc (or about 4 if using Atrac 132 via SS).

Edited by richyhu

With Hi-MD units you can use 1GB MDs, which can store almost eight hours in 256 kbps Hi-SP (better than LP2 quality). Reformatted 80 min MDs (~305 MB) can hold about 140 minutes (= 2 hours and 20 minutes) of Hi-SP. LP2 recording on Hi-MD (reformatted) MDs is only available by USB download via Sonicstage. Hi-MD reformatted standard MDs can hold almost twice the information than in regular mode, but are not compatible with older (non Hi-MD) equipment.

Edited by greenmachine

With Hi-MD units you can use 1GB MDs, which can store almost eight hours in 256 kbps Hi-SP (better than LP2 quality). Reformatted 80 min MDs (~305 MB) can hold about 140 minutes (= 2 hours and 20 minutes) of Hi-SP. LP2 recording on Hi-MD (reformatted) MDs is only available by USB download via Sonicstage. Hi-MD reformatted standard MDs can hold almost twice the information than in regular mode, but are not compatible with older (non Hi-MD) equipment.

ThanX to You ALL for Your ansvers :)

Greenmachine - one more question (sorry for asking in such a way but i do not understand all those technical terms to well - but i'm getting better at it). :) ...........I think i'm :)

"1GB MDs, which can store almost eight hours in 256 kbps Hi-SP (better than LP2 quality) can." ....

1].....can this be recorded with out connecting Hi-MD unit /recording via comuter, ...can I do that 256 kbps Hi-SP recording by connecting Hi-MD unit directly to a home stereo CD player ?.

"Reformatted 80 min MDs (~305 MB) can hold about 140 minutes (= 2 hours and 20 minutes) of Hi-SP. LP2""

2].....this Reformatting of 80 min MDs, has to be done using computer ??, or is this Reformatting option available on the Hi-MD unit ?

I'm trying to find out recording options from a CD home stereo player using ( prefebably analogue ) line "in" and line "out" with out connecting the portable Hi-MD unit to the computer. But my Sony CMT-EX 200 mini Stereo has also CD digital OUT / it has optical plug. It has also analogue "In" and "Out" line , and right now my Sony MDS-JE 470 deck is connected to it. So when i buy portable unit i can connect that portable Hi-MD either way for recording CDs to Hi-MD.

"Hi-MD units 1GB MDs, which can store almost eight hours in 256 kbps Hi-SP (better than LP2 quality)."

--- this sounds extremely attractive to me, from the time (8 hours) and from the quality point of view. Only if i can do that with out connecting to the computer ?.

ThanX a lot

Edited by Human

1].....can this be recorded with out connecting Hi-MD unit /recording via comuter, ...can I do that 256 kbps Hi-SP recording by connecting Hi-MD unit directly to a home stereo CD player ?.

N

As I already said in my other post you can record to HI-SP 256 direct via line or optical in.

2].....this Reformatting of 80 min MDs, has to be done using computer ??, or is this Reformatting option available on the Hi-MD unit ?

You can do this on the unit. Once you tell the unit the disc mode it formats the disc in that format (MD or Hi-MD).

I'm trying to find out recording options from a CD home stereo player using ( prefebably analogue ) line "in" and line "out" with out connecting the portable Hi-MD unit to the computer. But my Sony CMT-EX 200 mini Stereo has also CD digital OUT / it has optical plug. It has also analogue "In" and "Out" line , and right now my Sony MDS-JE 470 deck is connected to it. So when i buy portable unit i can connect that portable Hi-MD either way for recording CDs to Hi-MD.

If you buy a unit with an optical in then you can record from CD using the optical cable.

Edited by richyhu

Hi to ALL of You who answer my questions , ..and to those who are just reading i say "Hi" also, :)

I decided that NO MORE will I record music in LP-4 format, ...it acctuallllly SuCks :).

Only LP-2, - i found extremely very little difference between Stereo and LP-2 , ...but LP-4 is much difference.

I just listen to the same part of a song in Stereo , LP-2 and LP-4 ... and i was shocked how much details are missing in LP-4, ...and i'm almost "mad" at my self that i was recording and listening to music in LP4 till now, ( i have some music also in LP2 ), but i was blaming the songs for the quality difference in LP4,...never really paying attention to the format.

Silly me :)

I will use LP-4 quality only to record radio talk shows.

But as to the portable Hi-MD unit that i like to buy, looks that only NH-1 has line In and Out , ... and Editing can be done on the NH-1 unit (no need for computer for editing, especially radio talk show, - to remove the commercials).

The RH-10 looks OK to , but i'm not sure if Editing can be done on it.

The 8 hours of recording music in LP-2 quality is very attractive propositions on Hi-MD units .......quoting Greenmachine >"With Hi-MD units you can use 1GB MDs, which can store almost eight hours in 256 kbps Hi-SP (better than LP2 quality)"<......

I like to play the portable Hi-MD via regular stereo system and I wonder only how much difference in quality of sound will be "less" when played on RH-10 via headphone jack ( and not via proper line Out like in NH-1 model ). ??

Will the difference be same as is between LP-2 and LP-4 ?? - or LP-2 and Stereo ??

ThanX

Edited by Human

I decided that NO MORE will I record music in LP-4 format, ...it acctuallllly SuCks.

Good choice.

But as to the portable Hi-MD unit that i like to buy, looks that only NH-1 has line In and Out , ... and Editing can be done on the NH-1 unit (no need for computer for editing, especially radio talk show, - to remove the commercials).

The RH-10 looks OK to , but i'm not sure if Editing can be done on it.

Of the Hi-MD units only NH900 and NH1 have line-out mode. None have line-out dedicated socket. The effect of the line-out mode is simply to flatten the EQ and crank the volume up to the max. Editing can be done on all units including RH10, but if you want to burn to a CD via your computer later, issues have been encountered when uploading tracks that have been edited on the units.

The 8 hours of recording music in LP-2 quality is very attractive propositions on Hi-MD units .......quoting Greenmachine >"With Hi-MD units you can use 1GB MDs, which can store almost eight hours in 256 kbps Hi-SP (better than LP2 quality)"<......

What he said was that you can store nearly 8hrs of Hi-SP at 256 on 1GB disc. If you put LP2 on a Hi-MD disc (which as we already said can only be done via Sonic Stage) you will get nearly twice this.

I like to play the portable Hi-MD via regular stereo system and I wonder only how much difference in quality of sound will be "less" when played on RH-10 via headphone jack ( and not via proper line Out like in NH-1 model ). ??

Will the difference be same as is between LP-2 and LP-4 ?? - or LP-2 and Stereo ??

Probably none, if on the RH10 you flatten the EQ manually and crank up the volume to maximum levels. Actually maybe a small difference given that the NH1 has a HD amp and the RH10 doesn't.

Edited by richyhu

My RH10 puts out just below 1Vp-p with a full-scale recorded signal, volume at 29/30, and EQ disabled. This would be comparable to the line level signal put out by most cassette decks, but less than HiFi VCRs, CD Players, &c.

I use both my RH10 and NH700 with people's stereos fairly regularly, and aside from having to turn the volume up louder, have no actual complaints about quality. If the amp you're jacking into happens to be of spectacularly poor quality, you might run into hiss issues, but these days that's actually a pretty rare find even with relatively cheap equipment.

ThanX guys , --that is more comforting to know ,

esspecially that RH-10 will play OK via regular stereo , ( i have now Sony Mini system CMT-EX 200 with extra Sub, [2 or 3 yeras old], system is sort of medium end model but i don't think sounds that great by it self some how the sound is flat no details, - but when i record CD to a (even LP-4) - the LP-4 sounds better then direct CD form that Mini system, --- and in Stereo or in LP-2 sounds really terrific. (( I have Sony MDS-JE 470 deck )).

I wonder if You had the same experience that CD recorded to a MD sounds even better then original CD played on the same stereo with the same volume levels / hmmmm ?? )

--- but i'm also thinking to get for my place one of those small computer speakers, (higher end model=with goOod sound , maybe with separate Sub, - for about $ 150-250 Canadian or more) = with build in amp, - i was checking some , and what i like in them is that they are small and i can easily turn them in different direction when i'm in living room or when in kitchen - so i can easily redirect speakers towards me or even move them around or take to friends place.

Any suggestions from You on this type of higher end speakers that will play nice with Hi-MD like RH-10, .... i would appreciate also from You.

OR maybe i will get something like:::

Logitech Z5500 / 5.1 / 500W / Digital Speaker System ....to compensate for listening to LP-4 for

so long :) and set them up ....and leave it alone.

I had no chance to listen to them yet but i've read that they are ....really GoooD.

Cheers , ....

P.S. ..is there a way to change recorded music [on 80 minutes MDs] from LP-4 to LP-2 format. ...because now i'm = steaminnng = grrrrrr :) realizing what LP-4 is and is not for music quality. I never listen to a Mp3 sound - but if Mp3 is similar to LP-4 - i feel sorrry for those who listen to it.

Edited by Human

66kbps atrac is better than 48 atrac+

however i personally think that LP4 on my old player is somehow better than old 48

Thank You Alexx and Thank You ALL for being friendly and helpful in answering my questions.

I made my choice to get NH900, to suit best my needs.

Now i will have "fun" to find it :)

Cheers, ....