MZ-S1... anyone have it?

Rate this topic

theblueraja

I couldn't seem to find a pictorial on this unit, but I think what is rather unique and possibly overlooked is the fact that it is one of the only BACKLIT-faced MD walkmans around, especially in the lower-end price range.

I was reminded by this because of a photo someone had on an Ebay auction:

IPB Image

I'd like to see better pics of this unit if anyone has it.

(PS - if the photo doesn't show up, the auction is over... let me know if you really wish to see the photo, I can host it if need be.)

Edited by theblueraja

I used to have a MZ-S1, but I sold it to a co-worker and he uses it lightly. It was a dedicated NetMD transfer machine for me, and I would occasionally wield it in situations that warranted a "heavy duty" music player. I never liked how the door opened to insert the disc, seemed like something that could eventually break if repeated.

I used to have a MZ-S1, but I sold it to a co-worker and he uses it lightly. It was a dedicated NetMD transfer machine for me, and I would occasionally wield it in situations that warranted a "heavy duty" music player. I never liked how the door opened to insert the disc, seemed like something that could eventually break if repeated.

In the past I've owned 2 Sony Sports series CD Walkmans, and they were incredibly durable (actually I still own one... but I now have MD, so it just sits there)

Anyway, I find MD so durable in itself that I doubt a sports version is really needed.

If I've identified it correctly, they were still selling these at the Sony Centre on Baker Street in London when I went in this week.

OFF-TOPIC:

(They've already sold the MZ-RH10s that will be delivered in January!)

(Just to big-up sales people, (I really don't do this often) the sales guy I spoke to knew his MD stuff.)

I just bought a MZ-S1 (as a backup to mz-n505). Yes in 2005. The packaging came with SonicStage.

Listening to this compared to the 505 I noticed the sound was much better. Strange I thought since both are Type-R

What I found interesting was in the manual that came with the MZ-S1 it says This recorder supports DSP TYPE S. on page 66.

Looking at an older manual for this unit on this page http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-S1.html

the same section says it has TYPE-R only.

Perhaps this is a mistake in the manual, anyone who has this manual can you check and report back?

Approx in the same section as other manuals, on page 66. The section is Explanations right after Specifications. It is an entire paragraph, with Heading About the DSP TYPE-S for ATRAC/ATRAC3. The manual is copyright 2003.

The UK manual on the Sony Europe site says Type-R on page 29 and on page 66 doesn't mention Atrac Type S. Under which section in yours does in mention Type S?

Yes it is interesting, unfortunately the display plate still says Type-R. Thats whats strange.

Is there any easy way to check manufature date?

The manuals on the Sony Europe site are copyright 2002 and don't have that section at all in Explanations. There is a bit on page 22 called "About Type-R DSP for Atrac". So maybe the later models did in fact have Type S. That is interesting.

I got my MZ-S1 at Best Buy on clearance in August 2004 and it's probably gets the most use of any of my 3. I take it on morning walks about 4 days a week. It goes to the gym and every now and then I use it to record. It's my lawn mower music player!

I have to say it's gotten a fair use since I got it. I really like the seals that keep out the moisture and I have gotten used to the joystick when out walking, even with gloves on now that the weather is colder. I actually use my RH910 or RH10 to record in NetMd for the S1 since it requires you to use battery or AC power. I like to keep display on Remaining time since it actually scrolls the song title.

The orange display really freaked my wife one night when I was in bed listening to some tunes and the display light illuminated when I changed the volume. She was very surprised about the illumination and the color.

Overall, it cost me nothing since I had a gift certificate. It's been a solid portable music player for me. I just can't see taking the RH910 out in the mist and cold for a walk when the S1 does the job.

The one feature that makes the S1 standout over the Hi-MDs is the battery life. I use a rechargeable NiMh AA and I don't worry about battery life for weeks when just playing tunes. I think I would "guestimate" at least 40 to 50 hours with 1 AA listening to LP2 tracks. It's an amazing battery life for 1 AA. Mp3 players and Hi-MD can't even begin to touch the battery life of the S1. Never had any other Sony NetMDs so I don't know how that compares. Doesn't seem to affect the battery life with the orange display. Not sure why Sony didn't use that technology more with other models. But, in the end the OLED of the RH10 is preferred...

Really, I Love my S1 and I highly recommend it if you see it on clearance and want a solid NetMD device for outdoor and portable applications. :wub:

P.S. I am in Ohio (in the snow staring at the inlaws)right now and I don't have the player with me but I think it has Type R on the unit. I will have to check my manual when I get home for any other Type references.

there was a second run of them about two years ago. i'd say that's when it was updated to typeS

Yeah that's quite interesting. The S1 was designed before Type-S (MDLP playback enhancer) was invented/implemented in MD equipment. My guess is the ATRAC IC for the Type-S units was pin-compatible with the previous generation's ATRAC IC chips. When they ran out of the old ICs they simply started using the new ones in newly manufactured S1s which would then give them the Type-S functionality as well.