MZ-RH10...32KB/S MP3 "CAN NOT PLAY"

Rate this topic

mangizmo

:( Can anybody tell me if there is a way around the following: I have alot of lectures (speech) in 32KB/S MP3 format, I want to transfer them to my Hi MD (MZ-RH910)...not too much to expect from an audio player these days is it ??

Unless I am missing something...if I transfer the files "as is" ie in MP3 format, the MZ-RH10 wont play them as the bit rate is too low (can not play error message), although they are transfered to the disc o.k

Never mind...this is annoying, but I will just have to convert them to ATRAC 48KB/s....a bit long winded but I can go with that, now heres the really unacceptable bit....I cant do it on the MZ-RH10...it will transfer only in MP3 @ 32KB/S which it wont play, I can see no straightforward way to get it to convert to ATRAC and put the audio on the disc....I can do it on my friends MZ-NH1, because that doesnt even attempt to play native MP3 so SS converts it to ATRAC automatically.

The options SS gives me are 1. transfer as is (no good in this case)

"Specified BIT RATE (if the original bit rate is lower than selected, then files will be transfered at their original bit rate)....the brackets are a quote from the S.S dialogue

If what I am trying to do is not possible without a load of hassle...then I am afraid I have to conclude that minidisc deserves to die...please tell me its just me being dumb

Regards vaughan

Vaughan - 2 things:

The reason they may not play on your RH-910 is not because they are too low a bitrate but because they are MPEG 2 Audio not MPEG 1. (The 2nd gen players play only the latter but from 32-320 VBR/CBR).

Secondly to force the conversion to Atrac 48 what you need to do is the following. A bit frustrating I know but...

Select all the tracks and using the Convert Format option convert to 48K. What you then need to do is go to the properties of the first track go to the last tab (File Info). You will see 2 files, the original MP3 and the converted Atrac. Delete the MP3 file and then use the arrows at the bottom to go to the next track and do the same for all tracks. Then when you transfer it will have to transfer the 48K. If you want to save the originals make a copy of the MP3 tracks in another location before deleting.

The reason it always transfers the MP3 file by default is that SS thinks it should be playable and sends it to the unit, but because hardware-wise only MPEG1 is playable you get the CANNOT PLAY error.

Edited by richyhu

Vaughan - 2 things:

The reason they may not play on your RH-910 is not because they are too low a bitrate but because they are MPEG 2 Audio not MPEG 1. (The 2nd gen players play only the latter but from 32-320 VBR/CBR).

Secondly to force the conversion to Atrac 48 what you need to do is the following. A bit frustrating I know but...

Select all the tracks and using the Convert Format option convert to 48K. What you then need to do is go to the properties of the first track go to the last tab (File Info). You will see 2 files, the original MP3 and the converted Atrac. Delete the MP3 file and then use the arrows at the bottom to go to the next track and do the same for all tracks. Then when you transfer it will have to transfer the 48K. If you want to save the originals make a copy of the MP3 tracks in another location before deleting.

The reason it always transfers the MP3 file by default is that SS thinks it should be playable and sends it to the unit, but because hardware-wise only MPEG1 is playable you get the CANNOT PLAY error.

Thanks for the reply Ok I have just tried that on a couple of tracks and it seems to work, it is a bit of a pain, but I suppose it will get me where I need to be.....why have the mighty Sony made such a botch of what really needs to be a straightforward operation, I mean a non-techie type person would just give up !!!

Thanks again...I still like minidisc despite everything !!!