Q: Nintendo's new Wi-Fi USB Connector for DS system

Rate this topic

smkranz

Since many MDCF members are obviously on the cutting edge of computing and consumer electronics, I'd love anyone's feedback on Nintendo's new Wi-Fi USB Connector for use with the Nintendo DS.

One of the kiddies wants to play his Nintendo DS on Nintendo's new (and free) Wi-Fi gaming service, which allows users to play wirelessly against opponents across the globe. The DS itself has built-in wireless capabilities, which allows gamers to play wirelessly against each other in close proximity. Using the new system to play against global opponents requires either a compatible hotspot (apparently all McDonalds restaurants have signed on...what marketing genius) -OR- a wireless router (i.e. a wireless network), -OR- Nintendo's Wi-Fi USB Connector which creates a Wi-Fi hotspot on a PC without a wireless network...as well as a broadband connection and Wi-Fi enabled games (only two available now, several others planned for release soon).

My home network is wired vs. wireless, and includes a WinXP, a Win98 and a Win95 computer. It works, and I don't want to spend the money or aggravation to move to a wireless network just so the kid can play this game. So, the Wi-Fi USB Connector seems to be the way to go:

http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/store...rencyPreference

Any thoughts on these specific questions would be great:

1. Users experiences and reviews?
  2. The only XP computer in the home is in my basement office. The thing is said to work at a range of approx. 10 meters. I'm concerned this would limit gameplay to the basement or first floor. Is it feasible to add a USB extension cable so I can poke the thing through the floor to an inconspicuous corner of the first floor? I understand USB extensions can run up to 15 feet...is this correct?
  3. Just out of curiosity, is is feasible to create a Wi-Fi hotspot by connecting a wireless router to one of the vacant ports on my existing wired router, without having to re-do the whole network? That way, he could connect through the router and not through my PC, and I wouldn't have to install the required software on my PC and keep it running constantly.

You can get a wireless router for the same price that thing costs. And wireless routers have ethernet ports, so the only thing connecting wirelessly would be the DS. It's as easy as setting up a password, and saving the settings. And trust me, once you go wireless, you don't want to go back.

If you get that thing, you'll have to keep at least a computer on to connect online to play. With a router, only that and the DS would need to be on.

Of course this is not what you want to hear, but ironically, it's the best solution from my point of view.

Syrius, big thanks, I was unaware that wireless routers had the same ethernet ports my current wired router has...all I would have had to do was look to figger that out. Probly the way to go.

Yep they sure do, most have 4 ports though, so if you need more wired ports you'd have to use your existing router/hub as well, but that's as simple as plugging that into the other router or vice versa.

There are wireless "routers" that do not have wired ethernet ports but they are called Access Points and funny enough (since routers are so popular) access points are actually far harder to find and usually more expensive!

Just to be clear, a wireless hub should be sufficient. They may not be any cheaper, but I would check on eBay. Also, I doubt there is anything unique about the USB wireless adapater. If using a PCI or PCMCIA adapter would allow you to put it on a more convenient computer, there should be no reason you couldn't do that. Just make sure there are drivers. I imagine that you will have to be running at least Win 98SE to find drivers for an 802.11b card. Good luck.

As far as I know, doesn't the USB adapter work for people who don't have a WiFi router and tunnels the connection through the computer's internet connection?

Yeah, that sounds about right. I was wondering, does it use the 802.11b standard for connection through the USB connector or does it use a seperate standard?

The only problem I've had with mine is that when I installed newer drivers for my modem, the wireless connector stopped working and I had to reinstall that as well :(. I'm guessing it could be something to do with Internet Connection Sharing.

Also, I doubt there is anything unique about the USB wireless adapater. If using a PCI or PCMCIA adapter would allow you to put it on a more convenient computer, there should be no reason you couldn't do that. Just make sure there are drivers. I imagine that you will have to be running at least Win 98SE to find drivers for an 802.11b card. Good luck.

Thanks for everyone's input. I dunno about 802.11b standard :wacko: , but the info on the Nintendo USB Wi-Fi adapter says it *only* works with the Nintendo DS, and its software requires WinXP, which would likely preclude using it on the kids' Win98 machine. Does that mean it probably uses some other standard? Guess that also means it probably won't work with any other USB adapter.

Still wondering, though...would I likely be able to use a USB extension cable to move the reception point out of the basement. I've read such extension cables are limited to 15 ft. which would be more than enough. Does that introduce any signal degradation?

I'm probably going to take the high road...buying both the stupid adapter, *and* a compatible wireless router. That way, at least one of them should get him connected on Christmas day, and I'll return which ever one I don't need.

Well, personally I thinks it's quite good to have the adaptor as well, just incase your kid goes to someone elses house and wants to play his Mario Kart online there. Only downside really is the cost of it.

I read somewhere that if you connect to a router with the DS, it uses an older security standard and anything else connected to it will also have to use this standard (goes without saying really).

Personally, I'd recommend getting a router seeing as you have a bit of a home network already.

• 4 weeks later...

End of the story...

We started off with the Wi-Fi USB Connector from Nintendo on Christmas day. Bad sign right from the get-go when the software wouldn't install...then the kid noticed that the CD-ROM is cracked. Found and downloaded the software. Software installed fine, and said that the USB Connector was working, but the Nintendo DS couldn't connect with it...related to the comuter's address or something. I'd read about issues with wired networks, firewalls, "bridges" (whatever that is), so played with a variety of Windows security settings, router settings, with no joy. So I read something at Nintendo about changing the router's address to xxxx...whatever. Tried a couple of times, changed some other setting, and it said OK if you really want to do this. Bottom line, f-ed up the router to where I couldn't get back into it.

So the Wi-Fi USB Connector is going back.

Visit to the store, bought a wireless Linksys router after first checking with the compatibility list at Nintendo. Installed fine, and the Nintendo DS Wi-Fi games seem to be working also. He's having a blast playing Mario Kart DS with people around the globe.

Thanks, but after all is said and done, I think I'm happier with the new router anyway. It only cost $55 after rebate (vs. $35 for the connector, which I am sending back to Nintendo for a refund). I don't have to have the USB connector's software running on my computer (it's already gone), and don't have to worry about keeping the computer turned on. Plus we can expand with other wireless toys as they come along...might try getting a Palm Wi-Fi card for my T5 just to see how much more trouble I can get into with the Spousal Unit.

It wasn't anything to do with the WEP key was it? The problems I have had with my USB connector are to do with the Internet Connection Sharing and the WEP key. Had to reinstall the software twice which is a real nuisance, just missed a race with a couple of friends I found online :( . Also, anyone else noticed that Nintendo's software uses a fair bit of processing when it's not in use, it caused the picture in DScaler (A program I use to watch TV and play game consoles) to judder, I removed the Nintendo software from memory and it was fine thereafter.

Edited by chriswyatt

No (well, truth be told, I don't know), the error message I recall we were getting on the DS was that it couldn't find the computer's IP or DNS address or something like that.

I agree that the software also seemed to hog resources when it was running.