Victor/JVC Release 305Hr Battery Life MDLP Player-Only Unit

Christopher

In another MDLP release before the holiday season ends, JVC/Victor has debuted a player-only unit (babelfish) with 305 hours playback in LP4 mode. Amongst the usual qualities of a unit from this company (including the unfortunate 3mW output), the XM-C37 can be found in gold, silver or pink. -cgm+++

We reported last month on a few units JVC and Kenwood released -- can Hi-MD just not take off? Are we destined to a fate where MDLP lives on in a Cassette type fashion?

Edited by kurisu

In another MDLP release before the holiday season ends, JVC/Victor has debuted a player-only unit (babelfish) with 305 hours playback in LP4 mode. Amongst the usual qualities of a unit from this company (including the unfortunate 3mW output), the XM-E37 can be found in gold, silver or pink.+++

We reported last month on a few units JVC and Kenwood released -- can Hi-MD just not take off? Are we destined to a fate where MDLP lives on in a Cassette type fashion?

Hi Christopher,

Got to love the translation "The silver, the crotch lining of pink and Brown 3 color the color ring, is the adult っ ぽ く て fresh???."

Units look good, although I agree on wondering why Sony doesn't throw the Hi-MD licence out to the masses, could you imagine 300 hours on a NH1 or NH 900 clone/ Then there is the pink crotch issue ha ha

Bob

am i the only one thinking it looks like a ladies make-up mirror or something? :huh:

Actually, "まるで手鏡みたいに" written on the page linked says as much.

I wouldn't mind getting one either. The remote looks like the only controls from those pics, though, and that's not that good an idea... not to mention the dot-matrix display on it looks low-res...

Actually, "まるで手鏡みたいに" written on the page linked says as much.

I wouldn't mind getting one either. The remote looks like the only controls from those pics, though, and that's not that good an idea... not to mention the dot-matrix display on it looks low-res...

most player only units only have a screen on the remote, usually there's some buttons on an edge or inset on the back.

You mean the re-badged NH600? I think it did come out last year, but whether they actually sold any or not is another matter.

wft? sure it looked like a nh600, but from what i understood it would be able to do native mp3 playback (as in, no wrapping in drm, just drag and drop). or was that just some marketing speak?

Anyone ever try to contact Victor/JVC, Kenwood, Sony or others to see if Hi-MD is actually available to liscence or if they tried to? I'd love to have a price tag on that liscence agreement too.

My japanese is kind of shaky at best, and I'm afraid I would run into a language barrier pretty fast. I think no company in Canada can answer that either as the releases seem to be in Japan only.

I'm betting our much liked Moderator who's heading to CeBit has that question up his sleeve. :D

• 3 weeks later...