Sony EX71 silicone earbud substitute

Rate this topic

imkidd57

Quick tip for Sony EX71s - if you lose a silicone earpiece (eg it drops off when you get them out of your bag some day), normally you're stuck because I've never seen any spares available.

Instead, buy some of those disposable delayed-expansion latex earplugs (3M cat# 1100C; Homebase 5 pairs @ £2.99), and cut two ~5mm slices off one with a craft knife. Poke a hole in the middle of each slice and drag them onto the projecting speaker part of the phone. Crush them up with your fingers and insert into your ears. Wait 20 sec for them to expand, and you get fab external sound insulation; I would say way better than the crappy silicone things. When I did it I had to put the bass permanently down two notches on the EQ.

I'm sure it would work for any in-ear phones with a long enough speaker tube. The E3c replacement foam things would set you back about twenty quid from what I've seen.

Brilliant!

I just gave this a try and it works very well!

I actually had to trim mine a bit, because when the foam is fully expanded it's too much for my ears (it hurts), but a great idea. I had to retire a pair because I couldn't find my original set of silicone pieces nor did I want to put out for a set of new ones.

Thanks a ton!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I have just got 2 pairs of new earbuds small and large from ebay for £3.00, and they only took 2 days to arrive. I found them by typing in silicone earbuds sony, I sent the seller an email to see if he had more pairs of them and he said yes hundreds.

erdie