nh600 or nhf800? please help me choose

Rate this topic

two.tread

I technically have/had both. I would choose the NHF800 over the NH600 any day. The NHF800 has a mic input plus the radio remote if you need a radio. The scroll wheel is a little easier to use on the NHF800 since it is bigger. Screen is about the same. Construction is about the same too. I don't know if the NH600 has a DC input but the 600D did not. The NHF800 does. Make sure that if you choose the 600 that you are truly getting the NH600 and not the NH600D. The difference is that the 600D does not have a line/optical input.

the nh600 is £45

the nhf800 is £65

please convert it to your currwency and tell me which one is better value (i can only just afford the nhf800)

Assuming the units are new they are both pretty good value at those prices. As Ivan says the 800 has a few features the 600 doesn't, namely radio, dc input, possibly optical in (if the unit you saw was the NH600D). So I shouild take a look at the feature sets of each unit try looking at the equipment vrowser here:

http://www.minidisc.org/equipment_browser.html

Then based on the features make your choice.

Definitely go for the NHF800. The radio alone (which is excellent btw) makes it worth the extra £20, as well as the better build quality. If you're never going to use the radio, or mic input, you could save your £20 and get the NH600, but you won't be disappointed with the NHF800 if you can manage it....

im started a thread a while ago saying about cn i switch through folders on the nh600 and it took ages to get a sim ple answer:

...apparantly, you when the unit is 0playing, you can spin the wheel this to go through folder to folder, so i cpuld name all my folders like

1. alkalime trio -good mourning

2.blink182-enema of the state

3. blink 182 - buddha

SO I COULD EASILY CHANGE THROUGH THE ALBUMS

IS THAT THE SAME ON THE NHF800?

(THIS IS ONE OF THE KEY FEATURES I NEED!)

(sorry about the caps lock)

thanks

Yup, I can confirm that it is the same on the 600D as it is on the NHF800. Really, If you can swing it, get the NHF800. Like I said before I had the 600 and I outgrew it really quick (4 months or so.) Even if you don't need the extra features right away, you will be happy that you have them when you do need them.

no, get a NH700 or a NH900 instead :lol: sorry!... that was mean

it still depends... if you really only need a player (like the NH600 essentially is), get the NH600 (or an MP3-player)...

if you reckon you will be wanting to record with a mic in the (relatively) near future...get the NH800, it's worth the extra cash...but only if you will ever record

so i have the choice of a 600 for £45

or

a nhf800 for £60, everyone is saying go for the nhf800

but

i know i am not going to be using the radio...is that still the best option?

Volta's suggestion of the MZ-NH700 is actually pretty well on the mark for your uses.

It's the best option if:

*you want to record from the mic input

*AND don't need radio

*AND don't want to spend too much

It's actually quite a rocking little unit.

Is that available in your neck of the woods?

IF you don't need microphone input, just stick with the MZ-NH600 and save the money. The choice really should be easy. Why haven't you made up your mind yet? :D

In Australia (at www.minidisc.com.au) the MZ-NH700 costs less than the MZ-NHF800, so, depending on your local prices, it may just be the ideal model for you and your budget 'cause you don't want radio. Of course if Santa brings in some cash, the MZ-NH900 and MZ-NH1 will give you Speed Control ("pitch control"), and the MZ-NH1 will time-stamp recordings automagically (absolutely essentail feature IF date/time of recordings is important to you as it is to me). This feature has been around since the early days of MiniDisc, yet somehow magically disappeared these days in this age of tightening of belts, cost-cutting and troubled, poor, helpless Sony...harr)

Keep in mind ALL models come with absolutely HORRID, shrill-sounding earphones. GREAT if the world of stereo headphones is new to you and you have no reference point, tho :)

Edited by tekdroid

I guess you're aware that none of these players/recorders can play back mp3s without time-wasting and quality-sucking transcoding to Atrac[3(+)]. Are you? If your sources are CDs, this is a non-issue though.

I don't know what you are using, but the mp3's that I have transcoded took virtually no extra time and sounded as good as an mp3 can sound. the choice depends on what you need, if you ever want to do live recordind, get the unit with a mic input, it will be worth it.

Merry Christmas,

Bob

hey,

thanks for all the suggestions,

im gonna go with the nh600 as:

1. i wil not NEED to record froma mic nput and i have o need to use anything else but usb to send music.

2. i am a bit short of cash and can get a used nh600 for about £35 to£40

3. i have absolutely no need for a radio and a remote is a bit unneccesary.

than ks for all the 'help' though

i am aware th headphones suck but i am goinjg to buy sum semi-descent sony ones later on.

i just need a player that will take lots of music and is easy to change betwween albums like an ipod screen (sort of)

thanks

hey,

thanks for all the suggestions,

im gonna go with the nh600 as:

1. i wil not NEED to record froma mic nput and i have o need to use anything else but usb to send music.

2. i am a bit short of cash and can get a used nh600 for about £35 to£40

3. i have absolutely no need for a radio and a remote is a bit unneccesary.

than ks for all the 'help' though

i am aware th headphones suck but i am goinjg to buy sum semi-descent sony ones later on.

i just need a player that will take lots of music and is easy to change betwween albums like an ipod screen (sort of)

thanks

Good choice, you won't be disappointed. I got into MD's a little over a month ago and bought an NH600(D). It's really good for the price and like you, I have no need for a mic input, radio, etc. (Although I did want a remote, so I bought a 40elk) It's perfect for people that want a music player with removable media (the main reason I wanted one) and its got real long battery life to boot. Welcome to MD.