Looking For Best Sound Quality

Rate this topic

JT22

While the headphone amps of the various models vary [being either analogue, digital, or high def digital], all of the models feature a 6-band EQ.

That said, you would be far better off investing in a good pair of headphones that suit your needs than in trying to compare the bass output of the various models [or, for that matter, any portable].

Im looking for a Hi-MD that has the best sound quality available right now. I like bass, lots of bass! ^_^ So any suggestions on which one has the best, clearest sound quality with lots of bass? Thanks!

Pick up an old school unit (e.g mz-r91) which has mega bass on. In my opinion it provides more bass than the 6 band equaliser on present models

Dex is right you know... there might be a difference between the bass coming from the diffrent machines, but it matters more to switch to bass-heavy headphones...just read the 'best headphones under $100' thread in the phones section as there are a few phones mentioned that are very bassy

Just a slight niggle, you say you want the best sound quality, then you say you want lots of bass???

Try listening to good music flat with good headphones, then tweak slightly, you might be surprised at what you are missing.

That being said the NH1 theoretically has the best "quality", but ultimately your ears are the judge.

Take care,

Bob

Are you a bass guitar player? just curious :(

100Hz (the lowest EQ band) is quite useless for adjusting bass anyway, something in the 40-60Hz region would have fit the bill much better in my opinion. 100Hz just bloats the sound without adding real bass.

GM, do you have any idea what low frequency used in early models with megabass (bass 1, bass 2)? It sounds like lower than 100Hz.

GM, do you have any idea what low frequency used in early models with megabass (bass 1, bass 2)? It sounds like lower than 100Hz.

I've tested this with my MZ-R700, MZ-R909 and MZ-NH700. R700 and R909 with their sound 1/2 settings boost all frequencies below 100 Hz, whereas the NH700's 100Hz control just boosts exactly 100 Hz, nothing above, nothing below. This is the reason why i consider it quite useless for bass boosting purposes. Sony should re-think this. The sound 1/2 or megabass sounded quite good to me.

Left to right: R700, R909, NH700

[attachmentid=1278][attachmentid=1279][attachmentid=1280]

post-6863-1136143420_thumb.jpg

post-6863-1136143436_thumb.jpg

post-6863-1136143478_thumb.jpg

Edited by greenmachine

I've tested this with my MZ-R700, MZ-R909 and MZ-NH700. R700 and R909 with their sound 1/2 settings boost all frequencies below 100 Hz, whereas the NH700's 100Hz control just boosts exactly 100 Hz, nothing above, nothing below. This is the reason why i consider it quite useless for bass boosting purposes. Sony should re-think this. The sound 1/2 or megabass sounded quite good to me.

Left to right: R700, R909, NH700

[attachmentid=1278][attachmentid=1279][attachmentid=1280]

Thank you GM, now I know why my R700 is sounds better to me compare to my 2 new models with EQ. R700 sounds simple, warm and clear.