Current Description of Compression formats

Rate this topic

I am not new to the minidisc world. I started with a Net-MD 2 years ago, transferred to a HI-MD player (MZ-NH600D) and now a Hi -MD recorder (MZ-RH10).

But I am still confused about the seemingly ever changing compression types.

What is best (smaller space, but very good quality)?

I haven't got the best ears, and I do not have high end equipment.

Is there are current quide to the compression choices?

Thanks!

To further qualify, I am looking for something in the range of 129 - 160 Kb/s MP3 sound quality.

there really isn't a definite guide for quality/space ratio... you should really decide what your ears still percieve as music etc.

for me personally (and for quite a few ppl here on MDCF) with my panasonic RP-JE50 phones, anything under HiSP (256kbps) sounds artifact-ridden and not full enough to enjoy as music

but still a lot of ppl enjoy LP2 (132kbps) for mobile listening (in traffic/trains/...)

and still quite a few have mentioned that for them the low bitrates are good enough...

honestly I wished I couldn't hear the difference between HiLP and HiSP :lol: that would save me a lot of disc space, but unfortunately I do

just transfer a track you know very well to HiMD in different bitrates and shuffle...see if you hear a difference (or to do this more scientifically: convert to different rates of atrac/3/+, reconvert to wav with HiMDRenderer and ABX the different files ... I personally could ABX LP2 from HiSP, but I couldn't really significantly separate HiSP from Wav, but then again I'm a bit impatient for ABX-testing :P )

Edited by The Low Volta

indeed greenmachine :lol:

just like the step-up from a sony mono mic to your DIY stereo mics with the glasses-mounted positioning... I can't believe the other type was ever sufficient for me

What sounds "worse"

The lower quality headphones or the lower bite-rates?

What music do you listen to

What sounds "worse"

The lower quality headphones or the lower bite-rates?

they sound differently bad:

- bad headphones make everything sound bad, but this can be for various reasons... some make a particular frequency range sound bloated/dull compared to the rest (I prefer flat sounding phones and eq'ing to my own taste) or in the worst cases make everything sound tinny or 'plasticy' (like the Sony buds that came with my Nh900)

- low bitrates also make the music sound tinny (less punch and less sharpness to the highs, less 'rounding' - dunno how to call it - to the bass) and also introduces artifacts (bits that aren't supposed to be there) like ringing, pre-echo,...

I can't really compare what I find more annoying... I have compared different phones and also different bitrates, but never against each other/mixed

with me it's more an organic evolution: I got the NH900, used LP2 and HiSP and could spot the difference, but it wasn't that annoying... got Senn MX350/MX450 and the difference became clearer... bought panas RP-JE50 phones and I couldn't really use LP2 anymore... now I'm afraid to buy better phones as I might start using PCM for playback :lol:

What music do you listen to

well, lots of types really but the more demanding stuff (which for me is like the Mars Volta; Explosions in the Sky; Mogwai; G!YBE; Tool; Arvo Pärt,

; Sati...) which uses the entire 'frequency/loudness spectrum', has sudden transients etc. shows the artifacting more than simple structured and/or loudness compressed things... guess 'Kid Rock' is a bit more forgiving, but just as with lower bitrates I'm not willing to lower my standards anymore :P (just kidding...you kid-r lovers out there...please enjoy your taste in music!)

Thanks, Everyone, with the addition of HiSP, LP4, LP3, HiLP, ATRAC 3, ATRAC 3 PLUS, etc, ad infinum... MY ears are bleeding, not from bad sound, but cranial overtaxation, and

I will do the experimentation first suggested, then buy a gun and vow to shoot the next braniac at SONY that creates a new format acronymn. :)

The Low Volta said "more demanding stuff (which for me is like the Mars Volta; Explosions in the Sky; Mogwai; G!YBE; Tool; Arvo Pärt, ; Sati..."

Now that is what I call good tasting music! Next I just need to make it sound better on my MZ-RH10.

Congrats on your new recorder.

I find that music like Explosions in the Sky and G!YBE is totally killed by bad bitrates a lot more than pop music. Volta hits it on the head.

If you like G!YBE, then check out "Valley of the Giants", it's a lot like G!YBE but it has some members of other bands like "Silver Mt. Zion" and "Broken Social Scene", with an amazing female vocalist from a band called "Strawberry".

Check out their site: http://www.arts-crafts.ca/valleyofthegiants/