Question

• Answers 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

If only Sony would:

Market this product at a competetive price, give the product a Brand name that is easy to remember(gotta respect Apple for this:keep it nice & simple) release it on all regions at the same time. The brand name thing is null & void but they could chane it before it goes on release. The other options are doable. Watch this space.

Well, they DO have a brand name......WALKMAN. The trouble is they throw out so many different models and versions of models it would be impossible to brand them all. However Walkman Zeddex (as one of our bright forum members suggested) sounds really good in this case. Walkman Zeddex 16GB and Walkman Zeddex 32GB....... simple as that. Whoever suggested Zeddex should get a free one today to review for Sony Insider IMO (I think it was Shirley), but I might be wrong.

Whoever suggested Zeddex should get a free one today to review for Sony Insider IMO (I think it was Shirley), but I might be wrong.

It was meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee - and I agree I should get 5 free ones to review, I mean one free one :lol:

Even just ZX would do, in fact, anything that can be said in less than three million and seventeen syllables would be just great...

Sony Walkman Touch maybe? :wacko:

Hey Mark! I thought something like that a while back, but since then I realised I don't want my precious Sony to have anything fruit-related (Apple!) added to its title. People might even think it's a Sony/Apple product... a Sony Applesson??? 861.gif014.gif1004.gif

Sorry Juli, it was youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Now, for those of you in the UK or Ireland.The February edition of "Stuff" magazine ( Gadgets etc) has an exclusive on the new "Touch Walkman" on pages 8-9. The author gives the impression he/she had actually handled the device. They claim that it has a UK release date of March'09. There is also an excellent (huge) photo' of the device. They give it a "thumbs up" in almost all departments. I suppose I could have bought the mag and posted an image of the review here but at €6.50 I'd rather save it for the ZEDDEX.

BTW, the reviewer also claims it can record direct from a BRAVIA TV source, I wonder does Chris have any info on this particular feature.

Sorry Juli, it was youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Now, for those of you in the UK or Ireland.The February edition of "Stuff" magazine ( Gadgets etc) has an exclusive on the new "Touch Walkman" on pages 8-9. The author gives the impression he/she had actually handled the device. They claim that it has a UK release date of March'09. There is also an excellent (huge) photo' of the device. They give it a "thumbs up" in almost all departments. I suppose I could have bought the mag and posted an image of the review here but at €6.50 I'd rather save it for the ZEDDEX.

BTW, the reviewer also claims it can record direct from a BRAVIA TV source, I wonder does Chris have any info on this particular feature.

OMG!!! March 9th? That's just 7 weeks and 5 days!!! Oh, I hope it's true. I'll try and get the mag tomorrow, THIS, I HAVE to see. And about the direct recording from a BRAVIA, I read that somewhere else too. That would be really good, 'cos I have a BRAVIA! Did the price get mentioned???

7 weeks and 5 days. We need something like an advent calendar for the countdown :lol:

OMG!!! March 9th? That's just 7 weeks and 5 days!!! Oh, I hope it's true. I'll try and get the mag tomorrow, THIS, I HAVE to see. And about the direct recording from a BRAVIA, I read that somewhere else too. That would be really good, 'cos I have a BRAVIA! Did the price get mentioned???

7 weeks and 5 days. We need something like an advent calendar for the countdown :lol:

OK Juli, deep breaths.

"Stuff" is a lovely glossy mag but I'm not too sure if we can take their release date as the whole truth. Don't waste your money on the 'mag, have a peek at pages 8-9 at your local. Please come back and tell us what you think.

OK Juli, deep breaths.

have a peek at pages 8-9 at your local. Please come back and tell us what you think.

Well, I can't take deep breaths now, can I?? Not after this titillating piece of 'maybe' news :)

My local doesn't stock 'Stuff', so I'll go to W.H Smiths and have a browse. As long as the mag's not sealed, I can read it!!

Greetings all.

I like the phrase/title "touch Walkman" .......!! (Sorry Juli - I think I prefer that to "Zeddex" !!! LOL. Although Zeddex is better than Sony's letters&numbers!) And if March is true then I'll have to save up my pennies really quickly for this one!!

More seriously - the "record from a Bravia" is interesting/intriguing. ( I also have one of those!) But why a Bravia in particular?? Or indeed why Sony in particular? I'm assuming it's a logical follow on to Podcasts/iPlayer downloading kind of thing. But there's quite a difference between recording in real time say, and downloading a file using iPlayer kind of thing to subsequently watch on your portable. (and what about being able to download TV progs ( from whatever source) using wi-fi - now that would be very interesting!!! ( I personally have a second/old cable box in my loft room hooked up to an old Archos player - gives me nice mp4 files of TV to dump onto various players if needed) This is all a pretty fast moving area. I cant wait to see some hands on reviews of this - I'm hoping the wi-fi/browser implementation is good. My daughter got a Touch for xmas - all the family tend to use it if in the living room and needing a quick "Google"!!!

Regards.

I don't like this concept of some regions being able to use features like BBC iplayer. Whats available for one should be available for all, so the concept of hooking up to a TV or Digital satellite source is more equal for everyone. I was going to purchase a Sony Walkman from AMP at Christmas ( for a friend, I have the *818) but the iplayer function would have been a pointless function in Ireland. Sony must spend a fortune on creating deals with companies like the BBC and it only serves to restrict sales as opposed to enhance them ( my opinion of course).

Buy it you cheap-skate :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I have to buy it anyway or else I won't be able to post the review here. We have to know what's going on!

Shirley, I think 'Touch' and 'Walkman' was mentioned here a while ago, and I think (lots of thinking and not much knowing!), someone else thought it was too Appley with 'Touch' in the title, which I kind of agree with now. Sony is so unique that keeping anything fruity away from the title is just imperative :lol:

Juli

You are correct!! The word "touch" has too close a "fruity" connection!!!!! Sorry - I was skimmimg through this thread quickly at work (naughty, naughty!!) and wasnt quite thinking straight!

I'm at home now - a bit more chance to think rationally (LOL) - I think you should copyright "Zeddex" ( and licence back to Sony of course) - if all of us "fanatics" start calling it that - who knows - maybe the name will stick.

My daughter is opposite me using an ipod touch - she's checked her Facebook, browsed a few sites etc - all with a few thumbpresses - I just told her my new Sony Zeddex will do all that and more - plus look better - have a longer battery life - and musically probably sound better too............................!! (Hope I'm right!!)

Regards.

I'll probably still call it my walkman, and nothing anything else, if people want to know the name of it, then walkman X, or if they want me to be really specific, walkman x series. otherwise it is still a walkman.

If the march 9th date of a release for europe is true, it will be interesting to see how well the debut goes down, and if and any new features are mentioned that we don't know already about. I am curious which chip or cpu that sony has decided to use in the new walkman, hopefully something recent that can be modded for divx and flac support.

You can probably use the Content Transfer. One real down side of current WMP is that it only supports WAV, MP3 and worst codec of all, WMA.

If you have PS3, you can use that to manage music, which I am very fond of. Who knows, Sony might release drag-n-drop with SonicStage V, allowing users to choose.

I take it that this new player will only work with Windows Media Player, and not my beloved Sonic Stage! I can't get to grips with WMP, althrough I realise that the majority of people prefer it too SS.

oldskoold, I can help you with WMP if you tell me which parts you're having problems with.

Anthony, I bought 'Stuff' yesterday, and was about to buy a cute Samsung netbook that I saw in it, when I realised that's not why I bought the magazine :blink: --- anyway, the Walkman photo takes up 99% of the page and the review is really brief. I can type the review here if anyone's interested.

Shirley, what about just the ZX? It's short, and with no fruit connotations to taint anyone's initial impressions that it might be linked to you-know-what!! :lol:

Zizone!! Hello :)

[

oldskoold, I can help you with WMP if you tell me which parts you're having problems with.

Juli, that's kind of you. The basic problem I have is when I try & sync songs to my DAPs, I drag & drop, and then when I think I've added stuff to my player, I can't find them!

Anthony, I bought 'Stuff' yesterday, anyway, the Walkman photo takes up 99% of the page and the review is really brief. can type the review here if anyone's interested.

I for one would be interested to see the review!

Juli, that's kind of you. The basic problem I have is when I try & sync songs to my DAPs,

I drag & drop, and then when I think I've added stuff to my player, I can't find them!

Make sure you're in the 'sync' window of WMP first. Then drag the songs over... click 'start sync', and you'll see them syncing while you do it. If you're talking about not being able to find them on the player when you're viewing the Walkman through WMP, you just have to click the 'Walkman' tab in the main WMP library, and it will open up the list. If that's not what you're talking about, PM me, and we'll go through it.

I for one would be interested to see the review!

Sony X-Series Walkman (due March 09)

Despite superior sound quality and better battery life, the Walkman has never challenged the ipod's supremacy. In fact, it's never even come close. But the X-series might just have the necessary X-factor. Like the iPod Touch, the X-series features a touchscreen display, Wi-Fi web browsing, YouTube and video. But Sony has also thrown in everylast bit of cutting edge know-how. It's the first MP3 player with digital noise reduction built into the unit (eliminating the need for battery-powered headphones): the first with a pin-sharp, full colour OLED display: the first to allow video recording direct from Bravia TVs, and the first with a complete digital path from solid-state storage to earphone... The result: a pretender to the throne, at last.

As hot as... Tokyo's meanest wasabi

Size: The X-Series is 50mm wide, so it's more like a slim Nokia than 60mm-fat iPod Touch, and it fits in the hand (and pocket) more easily. What's more, the textured body makes it nicer to hold. The Walkman's screen is half an inch smaller, but because it uses OLED it's very sharp and bright.

Verdict: Walkman waif wins

A touch of genius: The Walkman is simple to use and features a Cover Flow-style music navigation system. But it doesn't have that multi-touch magic, and there's simply no way the X-series can hope to emulate the huge number of games and applications now available for the iPod Touch.

Verdict: Apple takes control

Sound investment: We've been telling you that Walkmans sound better than iPods for some time, but the X-series takes things to a new level with sound processing that restores detail in compressed music. Add noise cancellation and some of the best ever bundled headphones and you have a winner.

Verdict: A clear smackdown for Sony

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I noticed a couple of things in the review which someone might be able to clear up. It mentions "a new level with sound processing that restores detail in compressed music" - but isn't that the DSEE feature that's on the earlier models, 82x, 80x, etc?

Is noise reduction the same as noise cancellation? They mention it's the FIRST mp3 player to have it built into the unit itself - but the NW-S70x was the first to feature noise cancelling built into the circuitry as I recall. Am I confused with 'reduction' and 'cancellation'?

And lastly, the huge photo makes the granite-like surface look like someone with a bad case of dandruff shook their head all over it :blink:

Hello cn11/Chris, it's really nice to see you here from the 'other' place :) - I don't know that the review tells us any more than we already knew, but hey - at least I bought the magazine... unlike someone else I won't name in order to protect his identity ... ANTHONY, Hellllooooooo?... :lol:

Ascariss, your measurements were very accurate. It's really not much bigger than the 829, and it's quite a bit smaller than the Touch. To be honest, it seems like just the perfect size.

58 days and counting...

Hello cn11/Chris, it's really nice to see you here from the 'other' place :) - I don't know that the review tells us any more than we already knew, but hey - at least I bought the magazine... unlike someone else I won't name in order to protect his identity ... ANTHONY, Hellllooooooo?... :lol:

58 days and counting...

Juli, that is SOOOO unfair, I was the first to tell this forum about the review. Besides, I spend a fortune on magazines; and STUFF is just a great big"AD MAG" ( with lovely piccy's). Anyhow, I've got bad news, I'm losing my well paid job after 12 years.........bloody economic downturn. The zeddex better come fast or it will slip off my list of "must haves"!

Juli, that is SOOOO unfair, I was the first to tell this forum about the review. Besides, I spend a fortune on magazines;

and STUFF is just a great big"AD MAG" ( with lovely piccy's).

Yeah, if it wasn't for you, we'd never have known about the 'alleged' March 9th release!! THANK YOU! But also, if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't still be obsessed with buying a Netbook that I have no need for, ha ha! I can't stop looking at it :blink:

Anyhow, I've got bad news, I'm losing my well paid job after 12 years.........bloody economic downturn. The zeddex better come fast or it will slip off my list of "must haves"!

Oh, Anthony, I'm really sorry to hear that. Christ, the whole financial crisis is just getting worse and worse, it's frightening. I hope you find something, the ZX can be your motivation!!

I am curious, what is the current price of the ipod touch in england? 16 and 32 gig flavours? or for that matter in other parts of europe?

the 16 gig model retails for 299, whereas the 32 gig model online can be found for 399.

Ascariss, I got mine from Amazon.co.uk for £278 back in October (the 32GB version 2G.)

I think it's selling for around £265 at the moment. As I plan to sell it to fund the ZX, I hope it keeps its value enough that I don't end up too much out of pocket. It would be nice to keep both, because I really like all myTouch apps. But I am MORE than happy to sacrifice them for a Sony that sounds better than all the previous models (if it actually does...)

I'm always excited when a new Sony's on the horizon, but this just feels like it's going to be T-H-E one :)

ouch, that is not cheap, even at 265 pounds, it comes out to 485 canadian and then add shipping to that and even possible duties, I think I would be better off buying the X series here.

with taxes the 32gig x should be around 445 here in canada, so I think I will wait for it to be released here.

I just want this baby. I sold my A829 & S639 in anticipation of getting this little dream machine. Once it's on the way to the net and stores my Cowon D2 will be sold as well. 32gb's of Sony goodness, all mine, MINE I SAY!!!!

Sorry, I just couldn't help me'self!!! This player, even tho it's got a crappy name and looks like a spilled salt and pepper shaker, is Da'Bomb!!!!!

There's just no way I can pass it up, or let it go once in my possession. And, @32gb, it's almost perfect.

Juli,Stay away from that netbook, I won't be held responsible.

You know, not since the hayday's of Atraclife have I seen so much excitement about a new Sony player. I hope SONY look at this forum. Just in good time for me as it turns out. I still use Sonicstage for my 20GB NW-HD1 but SS has gone wonky in the past few weeks (refusing to import tracks). I have decided not to bother trying to fix it given that my 20GB player will soon be superceeded by 32GB

SONY, don't even consider limiting capacity to 16GB in Ireland. If you do I'm GONE,I mean it this time.

Juli, Stay away from that netbook, I won't be held responsible.

But Anthony, it keeps looking at me... :unsure:

You know, not since the hayday's of Atraclife have I seen so much excitement about a new Sony player.

I KNOW! There's a real fever building up, and now, with perhaps an earlier release date than we previously thought, we'll start reporting every tiny snippet of news we hear about it, like we used to on Atraclife, ha ha :lol:

I have the BEST feeling about this one, I really do!

I KNOW! There's a real fever building up, and now, with perhaps an earlier release date than we previously thought, we'll start reporting every tiny snippet of news we hear about it, like we used to on Atraclife, ha ha :lol:

I have the BEST feeling about this one, I really do!

it just like when A1000/A3000 was released few years back .

I too am getting more and more excited by the thought of a 32gb touchscreen Sony............!! ( Not least by the shared excitement of the old and new friends in this forum)

Sorry to drag things down a little ( I have a strongish pessimist streak!!! ) but I remember the delays and conflicting information surrounding the 800 series (I think?). Will/wont there be a firmware update to allow drag/drop etc etc. ( Personally I was reasonably happy with atrac/SStage etc - but it was the months of uncertainty which hurt a bit) I just hope your 50ish days "ticker" Juli doesnt become much much longer and Sony price at say 329gbp and some of the functionality we are second guessing now doesnt end up in the final shipping product!!.

As I say - that the "pessimist" view!! Maybe in about 60 days we will all be comparing notes about our lovely new ipod killer and everything is fine - sure hope so!!

Regards to all.

Hey all! I´m new here, but I´ve been hanging around various Sony-related discussion boards - starting with T-station.net (which then changed to MinidiscT) way way back in the day.

Does anyone know what this mystery metal is they´re using? To me (and probably a lot of other people) that looks kind of unattractive, so they must have a good reason for chosing that.