Hi MD disc addiction

Rate this topic

pauljones52

It is kinda pointless really, I was just wondering what other people had done. Replaced your normal MD's with HiMD's or reformat your normal discs, or mabye keep them in netmd mode?

Price prohibative is the phrase that comes to mind. Why buy two Hi-MD discs when you can get 10-12 regular discs for the same price? I just buy a lot of regular MDs and use them in Hi-MD mode

Edited by akijikan

I like the ability to re-format standard MDs. I only have a handful of 1GB Hi-MDs and don't think i'll ever need more than that.

I use them mainly for live recording in pcm, where <30 minutes on standard discs often aren't adequate. I don't use them for archiving. After uploading the disc will be erased and re-used.

Edited by greenmachine

I have about 30 1GB Hi-MD discs. I'm hoping I won't be needing many more as they're relatively expensive. I generally make 8 hour 256k compilations from them. I probably have about 100 blank 80 min discs. I'm mostly using them for LP2 compilations for playback in my decks and older equipment, and the odd data disc.

Anyone else feel the need to throw away all their normal minidiscs and replace them with himd's! I keep buying more, i mean why carry around 4 discs when you can have just one!

Been using both quite a bit for recording in linear PCM and data.

Formatting the oldies in Hi-MD mode is one of the better things Sony have done, IMO.

Especially since in some areas the Hi-MD discs are horrendously expensive (and hard to find) whereas regular MDs can be found anywhere. For short trips or short recordings, the oldies are adequate.

One day they might break compatibility and go the "Hi-MD Pro" route with a high-capacity disc.

Mmmmmm. High-capacity disc. Let me sit here and think of the possibilities.

Ahh, sorry. Was getting carried away ;)

I have about 30 1GB Hi-MD discs. I'm hoping I won't be needing many more as they're relatively expensive. I generally make 8 hour 256k compilations from them. I probably have about 100 blank 80 min discs. I'm mostly using them for LP2 compilations for playback in my decks and older equipment, and the odd data disc.

:lol: holy sheisse dude lol thats like 150 pounds worth of himd discs. Did you get a himd deck or something??

Well, I bought a lot of them from ebay for about £3.50 each and was given quite a few too, so probably nearer the £100 mark. Which, spread out over a year and a half, isnt really that much (is it :unsure: ?). And that's small time compared to the number of standard blanks I've accumulated over the years. At a guess 600-800. I must admit though, storage is becoming a problem...

Edited by KJ_Palmer