Need a "step by step instructions to upgrading volume on the NH600"

Rate this topic

two.tread

first enter the sequence found here to get into service mode, then perform these steps (exactly!) nothing else to it

ive got the irst part (entering the menu) but im not sure about the second part.

i dont understand it.

could someone tell me the step by step instructions to setting the volume higher o he models i listed above.

thanks

i have jsut tried entering th service menu and i cant.

how exactly do yu di it. it says ''While holding down the GROUP key instead, enter the key sequence:''

do i just put my mini disc on hold, annd enter the code. OR do i put my mini disc on hold then hold group whilst pressing the code?

will it make a differnence if i have a disc in or not?

cheerup... those are the step-by-step instructions for 1st gen Hi-MDs... I dunno how to make it more step by step, but I'll try:

Here goes the sequence after the flashing service mode screen:

this means you should first enter the sequence from the post I linked earlier, then follow with this sequence..

(Key | Display)

VOL+ | 0 Manual

FWD | 100 MT

FWD | 110 NV

FWD | 111 xxxSCC (xxx values counting up...)

FWD | 112 NoClock

FWD | 113 xxxS25 (xxx values counting up...)

as xispe writes, the first column (on the left) read from top to bottom is the exact sequence of keys you should push, once in the service mode: "vol+" (or volume up) and five times "fwd" (or FF or next track).

The second /right column just shows what you should be seeing on the display, so you can check whether you are still following the instructions correctly.

Once you get to entry "113 xxxS25 (xxx values counting up...)" (of course it doesn't say 'values counting up', there will just be some dynamic values that are constantly counting up and the 25 could be something else as well) you...

now change the value after S. Just use VOL+ to increase and VOL- to decrease (in my case it was set as A0, so i just pressed VOL- till i read 25)

xispe is talking about the '25'-part in the line "113 xxxS25 (xxx values counting up...)". just press either vol up or vol down (choose one 'direction' and continue in that direction) till you see 'S25' which is the 'best setting' you can get

PAUSE to save

the new setting has to be remembered by your player, so press 'pause' once you have 'S25' set

then press stop till you get to the first menu, with the flashing screen..

To quit the service mode remove all the power sources from the unit. Remove battery and / or AC adaptor plug.

this stop-sequence just reverts you to the beginning of service mode and removing all power sources takes you out of service mode altogether

so all in all:

• set HOLD-switch to 'ON'
  • While holding down the GROUP key press: FF / FF / REW / REW / FF / REW / FF / REW / PAUSE / PAUSE (gets you in service mode)
  • VOL+ / FF / FF / FF / FF / FF (gets you to "113 xxxSXX (xxx values counting up...)" with XX being your current setting, probably A0)
  • number of times either VOL+ or VOL- till you get "113 xxxS25(xxx values counting up...)"
  • PAUSE (to save)
  • STOP (number of times till you get back at the service menu start-screen)
  • remove all power sources (to get out of service mode)
for the correct values for your Hi-MD, check this guide

hope that was clear enough, as I'm afraid it doesn't get any clearer... rest asured, once in service mode, things look simpler than expected. And as long as you do not press PAUSE, you wont save anything! If you make a mistake, just remove all power sources, wait a few seconds and try again...

Edited by The Low Volta

- depends on where you live I guess: as the volume limiter is required by European law, it is theoretically illegal to remove it I guess, but who's going to check your MD?

- the Sony warranty may be considered void if they know/suspect you have been tampering with service mode... just like opening the protective case of consumer electronics often voids the warranty. Still, should there be a problem with something on your NH600, you could always unhack it before sending it in and if it was the process of hacking that busted the machine you can alway swallow all your pride and play confused and helpless ("I really dunno why, but my machine started acting all funny")

-> of course entering service mode is not illegal, it just gives Sony a legal reason to reject a warranty claim

- depends on where you live I guess: as the volume limiter is required by European law, it is theoretically illegal to remove it I guess, but who's going to check your MD?

I'm not so sure about this. I don't know any specifics of this law, but I'm guessing it is only illegal for companies to sell music players with an output that is above the limit. I don't think it is illegal for an individual to own such a device, otherwise I would be breaking the law just by already owning an older md-player, from the time before this law went into effect.

Edited by eriktous

I don't think it is illegal to own a device from before the law was put into action...

but the actual contemplated action of circumventing the restriction by the act of 'hacking' is something else than 'owning' if we're talking lawspeak IMHO... but then again, I'm no law-pro either

*edit: the fear of doing something illegal should definitely not keep you from performing the hack IMHO... the fear of voiding your warranty or damaging your ears is much more realistic IMHO

Edited by The Low Volta

^^^^

hey matt, is that true? (it is not an originally frech law adopted into euro-laws, which I always presumed and I was a bit too lazy to research it :lol: )

in that case it is probably only illegal if you live in France :P

Greatings Volta,

I havent read any law books or anything, but going on what has been said on other threads I have read, I believe this to be the case. Im sorry I dont know the links to them, so I wouldnt take this as the definite truth. The best way to test this would be to find someone who has a minidisc unit in Switzerland (Outside the EU, but geographically in Europe). If it has crippled volume, then Sony is making a bog standard European model. If it does not, it would be relatively safe to assume that it is a European union law, and volume limits are only applied to minidisc units in member countries.

Matt

It's a European Union law based on French and German laws which limit the output of any portable music player to 100dB. However, it doesn't seem to apply to all manufacturers, which is the really strange thing. My iRiver MP3 player is fine - 18mW output.

This is from an e-mail complaining to Sony about the problem with my N710:

"I am sorry to read that the specification of your MD Walkman is cause for disappointment. The MZ-N710 will have a headphone output of 100 decibel (dB), and this is a standard feature across the Walkman range of products [untrue].

In preparation of a new EU regulation on the sound pressure level of personal audio devices, Sony has adjusted the output volumes of our Walkman models. In order to avoid sudden specification changes of our product line-up, the first models conforming to the proposed law were released in the spring line-up in 2003. Presently, our models of Walkman work in accordance to the new regulation.

However, I would also like to reassure you that Sony conducts extensive market research and testing before releasing a new product, due to our commitment to marketing and manufacturing products that meet the needs of today's consumer [untrue]. Having said this, it is regrettably not possible for every product to meet the specific requirements of every consumer [fair enough]."

This European regulation is called "European Standard EN50332-1*".

I have hacked both my European HiMD units and am now happy with their output. I have encountered no problems doing this and I am quite sure that it isn't illegal but it will void the warranty. If you need to return the unit then un-hack it back to the original settings.

100dB? What about different sensitivities of different headphones? One might output 94dB at 3mW, the other one 100dB and the next one 106dB. If it's measured with stock buds, how about lowering the sensitivity of these instead? What about players without stock earphones? It seems all so subjective...

• 3 weeks later...

In my U.K. NHF800 I have an existing volume setting of 113 xxxSB0. Will changing this to S25 be an improvement? My Volume control numbers already go up to 30. Will this change stop the limiting that I read happens after you go above 25. Being a hacking novice I am a bit scared to change it in case something goes wrong but I will certainly do so if it is a definate improvement.

the numbers always go up till 30... but the volume doesn't. After 25 you won't hear anything getting louder on the European machines. With the hack there is some more loudness...but:

- some type of hardware limiter has also been discorvered in 1st gen HiMDs, so while the hack might improve something, it won't make a world model from a European

- you really should ask yourself if the hack is really worth it:

* loud sounds, especially through headphones, can damage your hearing...and this really sucks!

* when using the stock-buds the sound was sometimes not loud enough...especially on trains etc, but this wasn't really the limiter's fault! The stock-buds just suck and for noisy situations: get in-ear/canalphones

My advice:

- if you are like me and that 'I must have this hack'-feeling takes over your feelings of insecurity... go ahead and follow the directions strictly... it won't damage anything if peformed correctly

- spend $25 (or more if you want to) on some decent in-ear/canalphones like the Panasonic RP-JE50 and a whole new experience will open up for you: much better sound AND I never (not even on a busy train) have to raise the volume above 16/30!!

This is how i perceived the hack to be working for my european NH700:

- without EQ there was no difference at all, volume increases up to 30/30, whether hacked or not

- unhacked with EQ, volume increases normally up to 25/30, above that there is some kind of smart limiter, which tries to prevent clipping, but you'll get AGC-like artifacts if it is in action. If you listen to a quiet recording, it won't reach its threshold and increases normally up to 30/30

- hacked with EQ, volume increases up to 30/30, no matter how loud the recording or how you've set the bands. This will disable the 'smart' protection and just cause clipping if you're beyond the amplifier's limit.

Personally i've set it back to the original values, since there wasn't any noticable benefit, the low power amp didn't seem to get any stronger. That said, i'm more careful with high volume than ever, my hearing is one of the most valuable senses to me, not worth damaging for a short-lived pleasure. Be careful with highly sensitive buds. I'm using rather low sensitive headphones, so i usually have to set the volume higher without having to use equalization. With stock buds or simlarily sensitive/awful 'phones, i propably wouldn't go beyond approx. 15/30 - ever.

Thanks for both replies. I'll do the hack and see what it does. I use Senn PXC250's as I haven't found an earbud I like or can keep in my ears. I have also used Ety Er4's and Shure e3c's but the ety's are no good (IMHO) because they are not built to withstand anything like normal use (despite sounding good and isolating beautifully), and to my ears the Shure's don't sound that great, and yes, I am getting a good seal. I am unimpressed with the top end and the rather "goinky" sounding bass that doesn't seem to go really low at all. The Senn's don't quite isolate enough for quiet passages in music in a noisy environment so I was hoping for just a "little" more volume for these quiet pieces.

I also have some Sony EX70's and despite modding them I can't really listen to them that much as they sound so artificial even by comparison with the colo(u)red sounding Senns. Not quite sure where to go from here. :unsure:

Edited by Chris_Top

• 4 weeks later...

Once you get to entry "113 xxxS25 (xxx values counting up...)" (of course it doesn't say 'values counting up', there will just be some dynamic values that are constantly counting up and the 25 could be something else as well) you...

xispe is talking about the '25'-part in the line "113 xxxS25 (xxx values counting up...)". just press either vol up or vol down (choose one 'direction' and continue in that direction) till you see 'S25' which is the 'best setting' you can get

the new setting has to be remembered by your player, so press 'pause' once you have 'S25' set

this stop-sequence just reverts you to the beginning of service mode and removing all power sources takes you out of service mode altogether

I tried this on my NHF800 and the value is currently set at "113 xxxS50" - is that euro-capped or not?

Thanks

Peter

I tried this on my NHF800 and the value is currently set at "113 xxxS50" - is that euro-capped or not?

see this thread for the different region-codes: it says
MZ-NHF800

US 50

so nope, it's the American version

• 1 month later...