Upload non-mac recordings on a m (mac) model?

Rate this topic

taper420

I need a conclusive statement from someone who has had first hand experience uploading a PCM recording made on some non-mac model such as an Rh-10, to a mac using a m10 or m100 and the supplied uploading program. I know this has been mentioned before but I don't remember seeing any first hand responces from someone who has tried it. I know the inverse is possible...a recording made on an M model can be uploaded using a non-mac model, but I have yet to hear compelling comments that you can upload and older PCM recording using one of these mac models.

Please someone who has actually tried this clear it up for me, a purchase is contingent on it. Thanks

Yeah I've seen that, but the whole discussion seems to point to the fact that it can't be done...because the rh models add more encryption to the recording than the mac model does...therefore the key to uploading is on the disc, not the recorder (although its the recorder that puts it on the disc), which is why you can upload a disc recorded with a mac model using an rh model. There's a brief comment at the end of the thread mentioning this capability and that was a simple answer, based on no posts to the contrary, to the same question I'm putting out there right now, ....can you upload rh recordings on a mac model? I say no. I'm calling it out..I think this is a rumor and can't actually be done...until someone states otherwise that's what I'm going on. What a pitty too..having both models would give me gapless recording for sets lasting more than 94 minutes (I use my r70 for it now and have to analog upload the "patch") Guess I'm just gonna have to keep using other people's pc's and then burning the wav's to dvd.....

No you know what...I'm tired of this crap...I've been a proud supporter of minidisc for nearly a decade...I have countless shows recorded that will never be archived without a generation loss...and everytime I think that Sony has done something to help, its really just a more complex way to screw us out of buying a product that actually would do what we wanted..USB, (first only for download), upload (but only with their crap program, and only once at first, and now still only on one computer)...and now...the mac compadability issue......I'm tired of hoping Sony is eventually going to lift the magical veil and allow me free access to my own Goddam music...I recorded hundreds of concerts and guess what...the bands welcomed it. I've never used my minidisc recorder to break the law....but guess what Sony, you've finally broken me................

I'm getting an M-Track....who wants my rh10?

Edited by taper420

I do understand your frustration Taper420, but I'd advise you to hang on to your RH10 till the M-track has proven reliable and up to your standards... I have read too many negative reports on that machine to really trust it (at least there is a way to get around most of the sony quirks, but the M-track has some serious issues IIRC)

I do understand your frustration Taper420, but I'd advise you to hang on to your RH10 till the M-track has proven reliable and up to your standards... I have read too many negative reports on that machine to really trust it (at least there is a way to get around most of the sony quirks, but the M-track has some serious issues IIRC)

wow yeah huh...i just took alook at some forums on this and looks like they got alot more problems then we do.......and horrible customer service (not that sony's much better)...oh well...anyone know how reliable laptop recording is?

anyone know how reliable laptop recording is?

It's as reliable as the notebook computer you're using is.

There are some very good quality portable audio interfaces [that support coax SP/DIF, optical, and analogue in and out] that are relatively inexpensive while being capable of decent 24-bit A/D conversion. Many of these lack microphone preamps, though, or lack the exact connections required [such as powered 3.5mm stereo connections for MD-compatibile mics, or XLR inputs for professional mics].

M-Audio among others makes portable audio interfaces that also include mic preamps, for connection via USB or firewire. Bizarrely, their product line features very inconsistent support for different connection types across their model line, their model with phantom-powered XLR inputs being limited to 16-bit audio, for instance, while one other supports 3.5mm powered mics and 24-bit ADC but not XLR, &c. If you have any serious interest in recording this way, do your research thoroughly to be sure that you actually get what meets your needs.

The biggest hassle with notebook computer recording on location tends to be power. Large-capacity hard discs and built-in DVD/CD writers are advantageous, but running on battery power can mean being limited to recordings not much longer in duration than with HiMD equipment. This can of course be remedied as long as you can remain tethered to AC power.

Yeah I've seen that, but the whole discussion seems to point to the fact that it can't be done...because the rh models add more encryption to the recording than the mac model does...therefore the key to uploading is on the disc, not the recorder (although its the recorder that puts it on the disc), which is why you can upload a disc recorded with a mac model using an rh model. There's a brief comment at the end of the thread mentioning this capability and that was a simple answer, based on no posts to the contrary, to the same question I'm putting out there right now, ....can you upload rh recordings on a mac model? I say no. I'm calling it out..I think this is a rumor and can't actually be done...until someone states otherwise that's what I'm going on. What a pitty too..having both models would give me gapless recording for sets lasting more than 94 minutes (I use my r70 for it now and have to analog upload the "patch") Guess I'm just gonna have to keep using other people's pc's and then burning the wav's to dvd.....

No you know what...I'm tired of this crap...I've been a proud supporter of minidisc for nearly a decade...I have countless shows recorded that will never be archived without a generation loss...and everytime I think that Sony has done something to help, its really just a more complex way to screw us out of buying a product that actually would do what we wanted..USB, (first only for download), upload (but only with their crap program, and only once at first, and now still only on one computer)...and now...the mac compadability issue......I'm tired of hoping Sony is eventually going to lift the magical veil and allow me free access to my own Goddam music...I recorded hundreds of concerts and guess what...the bands welcomed it. I've never used my minidisc recorder to break the law....but guess what Sony, you've finally broken me................

I'm getting an M-Track....who wants my rh10?

I feel your pain. Sony and its hardware customers (that's us) have been suffering under BMG/Stringer for ages. As with HP, by the time Sony wakes up it may be too late. But I digress...

Let me tell you about my (second) Microtrack instead, running firmware v1.2.3, the latest to-date:

• The battery charging system is susceptible to false peaking. This means that if you use up most of the charge, the MT will stop charging early. You will need to unplug, then plug it back it again. Sometimes this will charge the battery completely. If not, rinse and repeat.
  • Speaking of the battery, well it's sealed in. Forget about a spare and use an external USB power supply instead, because with a microdrive inserted you can only count on a couple of hours recording time anyway.
  • If you decide to use a 1GB CF card instead, be careful you don't fill it on the MT. If you accidentally do, you end up with a 0kb corrupted WAV file that you can't recover. There is no graceful end-of-media handling yet.
  • If you'd like to have your MT play back what it just recorded, you might be out of luck. For some people it can only play back the first 5 minutes or so. For me, only the first hour of a 2-hour set. The counters and level meters keep working, but the sound just cuts out.
  • Ah yes, the Nav control. What a piece of horse manure. The rocker switch is so hyper-sensitive that navigating the interesting (or chaotic, depending on your POV) menu system is an exercise in patience and will put you under considerable duress. I've had some time to practice so I can usually hit the menu item I want. Usually. The level and volume controls have a similar problem, so you need very quick fingers and reflexes. The good news is that this makes great practice in improving manual dexterity for musicians like me.
  • The MT's self-noise (in general, not just my MT) effectively obscures any real audible difference between 16-bit and 24-bit WAV recording modes. A workaround would be to use an external ADC and go S/PDIF digital in. But then the MT isn't a recorder anymore, just a bit bucket.
  • Can you say cheap construction? Even with new, sparkling clean plugs the 1/4" TRS inputs are intermittent. The assembly quality is no better than that of the Edirol R-1, which I use to calibrate the bottom end of the scale.
  • M-Audio bundles Audacity with the MT. This is freely downloadable Open Source Software. However, on the M-Audio site they list it as "their" product. Pretty bold move.

I could go on and on about this $400 recorder. Wanna trade? Just kidding! :lol:

In contrast, my HiMD recorders just work. They may be plastic, but in comparison to my MT they are built like a fine Bentley automobile.

Thanks for reading this.

Cheers

All right, I'm sold on not getting the MT...no more convincing, I realize my rh10 is better, or at least more reliable. But let me ask a little about this laptop thing (I know this isn't the right section, let alone the right forum but we already started talking about it). The only laptop recording I've made for a live show was on my girlfriends ~500mhz vaio using my friends sound devices usbpre...I backed up with my rh10. There was deffinetlly skips in the audio toward the end of the recording (on the laptop, not the MD). This is a pretty slow laptop so I'm attributing to that...i was using audacity for recording. 32bit, 44.1. no other programs running, i don't know how fast the harddrive is. Now I have an ibook g4 1.33ghz. Heres my question...coupled with the usbpre and now using boomrecorder (not audacity, fine for editing but I've had it crash too many times during recording)...is this a pretty solid setup?...I have an outboard phantom power to save on battery, and I'm about to order a 133wh external battery for the laptop. I also will be using mobile external HD because it runs at 5400rpm (internal on ibooks is slower) which is what is recommended for 2 channel audio. Also anybody know how good the preamps and the adc in the usbpre are? And how does it compare in that respect to the m-audio firewire 410? I seems sound devices is more professional gear and maudio is more consumer. A good preamp and adc is pretty much top on my list of requirements.

For anyone interested, yes I will be using my RH10 for backup (split after the phantom using an art splitcom and into a samson mixpad 4, then into the HiMD)...what do you say...good setup or what? BTW I never have to be stealthy, so the excess gear really doesn't matter...it'll all fit in one case.

Ok, now here's the joke....anyone wanna trade an rh10 unit for an m100 unit? You can have my 5 year warranty for free.

Didn't think so.

Edited by taper420

All right, I'm sold on not getting the MT...no more convincing, I realize my rh10 is better, or at least more reliable. But let me ask a little about this laptop thing (I know this isn't the right section, let alone the right forum but we already started talking about it). The only laptop recording I've made for a live show was on my girlfriends ~500mhz vaio using my friends sound devices usbpre...I backed up with my rh10. There was deffinetlly skips in the audio toward the end of the recording (on the laptop, not the MD). This is a pretty slow laptop so I'm attributing to that...i was using audacity for recording. 32bit, 44.1. no other programs running, i don't know how fast the harddrive is. Now I have an ibook g4 1.33ghz. Heres my question...coupled with the usbpre and now using boomrecorder (not audacity, fine for editing but I've had it crash too many times during recording)...is this a pretty solid setup?...I have an outboard phantom power to save on battery, and I'm about to order a 133wh external battery for the laptop. I also will be using mobile external HD because it runs at 5400rpm (internal on ibooks is slower) which is what is recommended for 2 channel audio. Also anybody know how good the preamps and the adc in the usbpre is? For anyone interested, yes I will be using my RH10 for backup (split after the phantom using an art splitcom and into a samson mixpad 4, then into the HiMD)...what do you say...good setup or what? BTW I never have to be stealthy, so the excess gear really doesn't matter...it'll all fit in one case.

Ok, now here's the joke....anyone wanna trade an rh10 unit for an m100 unit? You can have my 5 year warranty for free.

Didn't think so.

I use a Powerbook G4 and Bias Peak with great results. Your setup seems rock solid to me. I recommend installing OS X 10.4 Tiger if you haven't already. The RH10 makes a great backup. The ADC and preamps in the USB Pre are worse than those in those in the RH10. I suggest the following instead:

Lunatec V3

Cheers

I use a Powerbook G4 and Bias Peak with great results. Your setup seems rock solid to me. I recommend installing OS X 10.4 Tiger if you haven't already. The RH10 makes a great backup. The ADC and preamps in the USB Pre are worse than those in those in the RH10. I suggest the following instead:

Lunatec V3

Cheers

I'll believe the ADC is better on the rh10 but noway the preamp...my mics (sennheiser me66 shotguns) worked fine with the usbpre but i can't get an unundistorted signal (at loud concerts) through the rh10 preamp, even on low sensitivity...the levels were fine which means it was the preamp distorting....I rarely use the mic-in anyway so it really doesn't matter

the v3 a beautiful piece of equipment but way out of my price range, especially without computer connectivity (as of right now)

Edited by taper420