can't transfer more than 1 album at a time...

Rate this topic

whatsleftofj

no problems with one at a time. but when i try to transfer more than one album from my computer to an rh-10, it won't do it. it will say 'transferring (last track of last transfer)'

so then i hit 'stop,' and it says 'stopping the transfer... do not disconnect the media/device'

but it freezes doing that, and i have to close sonicstage. then it wont reopen, so i have to restart my computer. very frustrating.

Edited by whatsleftofj

just internet explorer open, and the latest version (3.3?) it would make things MUCH easier if i didn't have to choose each album to add individually, then wait until it was done to add another...

I know SonicStage can be funny with other programs open.,.. I think it uses IE for the connect store window anyway, so I doubt that having an IE window open would cause any problems.

What OS are you using?

I have the exact same problem and SS simply hangs every time I try to transfer more than one album to my RH910.

I use SS 3.3 and Win XP Home SP2.

I can't remember if IE has been opened and maybe I'll give a try next time.

transfer to what? with what?

any problems with just transferring one at a time?

I too have the exact same problem. I use WinXP Pro and no other program windows open when it happens. I also noticed when it says it is transferring the first track it actually shows in the transfer display window that it is transferring the last track I uploaded on the previous upload.

Very frustrating!

• 2 weeks later...

Ah ha! I have the same problem. I have had no problems with previous versions of SS but I just updated to 3.3 and every time I try to transfer multiple albums at one time it freezes. The disc keeps spinning, but the inidcator on the unit is stationary. Also 0% in SS transfer window just keeps blinking.

As an experiment, I transfered a bunch of stuff 1 album at a time fine. Then put a brand-new blank disc in and selected multiple albums to transfer. SS burnt the folder names to the new disc, tallied up the amount of songs it was transfering and then started the 0% progress. The really weird thing is that the song it said it was trying to transfer was the LAST song of the previous bunch of transfers that were on another disc!

If you hit stop, it says that it's stopping transfer and does absolutely nothing. I don't think this is a 'another program open' issue because THE only thing I changed was installing SS3.3. And yes, if you do 1 album at a time it works.

Also, just noticed that when I tried to rearrange folders on the MD thru SS it didn't freeze, but it also didn't change anything.

Any thoughts?

Using:

Win XP SP2

SS 3.3

NH600 & NH900

Sean

Edited by countspatula

I am having the exact same problem! It happens with my MZ-NH1, MZ-DH10P, and even my AW-608 (atrac/mp3 player, not MD). Transferring one album at a time works fine...but more than one and it just hangs as others have described. Even with EVERYTHING shut off (virus scanner, firewall, everything) it still happens.

SS 3.3

Win XP Home SP2

Edited by maxthrusters

Looks like we all have been victims of the same bug. I log on everyday hoping for a new version of SS that will work worth a hoot. I am going to be building a new PC soon and I was hoping a newer system would help.

I've recently given up on USB transfers and gone back to the old days of real time recording. Kind of defeats the purpose, this is my third MD and I've been very underwhelmed by my latest Sony. Of the three I've owned I miss my Sharp DR480 the most.

Funny that I just started experiencing the same thing last week. I'm not sure why it suddently started happening to me. Perhaps there is an update that's come out of microsoft recently that affects this?

After banging my head against my desk last night, I finally figured out a workable solution.

Here is what I did:

1) Select a single album to transfer and press the button to transfer it.

2) Once you see the %transfer for the first track of that album advancing, select your other albums and press the button to transfer them. You will then see these other albums added to the list.

Once it finishes the first album, it will continue on with the others that you have requested to transfer.

It's as though you have to prime the pump with a single album and then you can pile on as many as you want.

I was at a point last night where I could not transfer multiple albums at once at all. The method I describe above worked for me with 2 discs that I made last night.

Hopefully this helps you guys.

Rich

BTW, I'm using an MZ-RH910 and SS3.3 on a Win XP system with SP2.

Edited by maggior

I've been using the method you described too. Two things I have noticed:

1. It does not work if the first album contains too many (>32) tracks. It's not the number of albums that counts here, but the number of tracks.

2. It does not work if the first album contains too few tracks compared to the number of tracks you add in the second phase. That is, if the Sonic Stage finishes transferring the first album before it has added all the tracks of the other albums to the transfer list, it will hang up.

When it hangs up, you can see that the REC indicator of the MD goes off. It's like some sort of timeout occurs if you don't keep the MD busy, and the MD returns to idle mode while Sonic Stage still thinks that the trafser is ongoing. A bug in the MD driver?

I've been using the method you described too. Two things I have noticed:

1. It does not work if the first album contains too many (>32) tracks. It's not the number of albums that counts here, but the number of tracks.

That's good information.

2. It does not work if the first album contains too few tracks compared to the number of tracks you add in the second phase. That is, if the Sonic Stage finishes transferring the first album before it has added all the tracks of the other albums to the transfer list, it will hang up.

This is good to know as well.

When it hangs up, you can see that the REC indicator of the MD goes off. It's like some sort of timeout occurs if you don't keep the MD busy, and the MD returns to idle mode while Sonic Stage still thinks that the trafser is ongoing. A bug in the MD driver?

I've noticed that SS runs a lot of threads. My thoughts were that it is a timing issue with thread synchronization. Could be a bug in the driver too. Whatever it is, it would be nice if it was fixed :-).

It would probably be a good idea to add this info to a faq or pin it. Everybody must run into this problem.

OK, I contacted Sony and they said to uninstall and re-install. Yeah right. But it actually worked! ... For one whole transfer. I was able to transfer 3 albums all at one time. So far so good. Tried 8 at one time and it locked up again. Then tried doing 2 and it still locked up.

So it's fixed! All we need to do is uninstall/reinstall SS3.3 everytime we want to transfer multiple albums! Easy, streamlined and user-friendly! Yay! <_<

Also, the icing-on-top is that Sony also told me that I could no longer download 3.2 but I could BUY it from them for only $12, double-yay! :blink:

It's also been mentioned that it seems to be the # of tracks not albums that is the problem but I can't get it to crash consistently. For a while it seemed like 70 tracks was the magic number 'cause at 80 it kept crashing and then on the third try with 80 it worked. Who knows.

Bah! :angry:

OK, I contacted Sony and they said to uninstall and re-install. Yeah right. But it actually worked! ... For one whole transfer. I was able to transfer 3 albums all at one time. So far so good. Tried 8 at one time and it locked up again. Then tried doing 2 and it still locked up.

So it's fixed! All we need to do is uninstall/reinstall SS3.3 everytime we want to transfer multiple albums! Easy, streamlined and user-friendly! Yay! <_<

Also, the icing-on-top is that Sony also told me that I could no longer download 3.2 but I could BUY it from them for only $12, double-yay! :blink:

It's also been mentioned that it seems to be the # of tracks not albums that is the problem but I can't get it to crash consistently. For a while it seemed like 70 tracks was the magic number 'cause at 80 it kept crashing and then on the third try with 80 it worked. Who knows.

Bah! :angry:

I bet if you begged hard enough, someone out there has the old MDCF Non-net installer for 3.2 still sitting on their hard drive. 3.3 just came out in late November or early December, I think, so a recently outdated version should be easy to get hold of. I think version 3.0 came with my MD. I just checked and I must have gotten rid of 3.2 installer.

Just an update... just installed SS 3.4, thinking, "A-ha, Sony realized SS 3.3 was a clinker so finally fixed it with 3.4!". Wrong. 3.4 has the exact same problem as 3.3. No multiple transfers without a crash.

:angry: Sean

I too still have this problem in 3.4. sigh

I've been able to burn mulitple albums in a single pass to Hi-MD (even with SS3.4) but from what I can tell, the problem concerns transferring imported discs with multiple artists/compilations. SS locks up pretty good. Can't even stop the transfer. It sits in limbo.

Paul

Yup I have this problem too, if i select to transfer another album while it is currently transfering one it will freeze.

I tried the priming the pump method. I start by uploading 1 album, while that has started I add a few more. I find that if I load more than about 20 tracks at a time it will lock up. It doesn't matter if I have already loaded 100 songs, if I try to add 50 songs on the next batch it will freeze. About 20 at a time is what has worked best for me.

The "priming the pump" method worked for me. I had six multiartist discs to transfer. Started one and waited for it to actually begin the writing of a track (a few percent), then selected the others as a group and transferred. They all wrote fine. Nice workaround.

Paul

Are any of you by chance trying to transfer albums that contain tracks with really long titles?

Nope, I already figured that one out last week with a .M3U playlist I was trying to import. Kept crashing OMG with no explanation until I read the error report and discovered the reason.

This problem results from SS (on our systems) not liking to import large batches of files. If you break the transfers down into smaller batches the transfer is succesfull.

I'm still using SS 3.2, as a result I never have this problem. Here's a suggestion though, since it's multi artist discs try changing all the artists names blank in the Liabrary screen. Just a wild guess it seems to have issues with groups with differnt artist listings so make them all the same. I know some of you will say this info is to important to get rid of but it seems like a nice compromise to keep it from freezing up.POE

OK, so I followed the uninstall instructions for SS here:

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=8071

and reinstalled ss3.4 and multiple transfers seem to work just fine now. So I would recommend checking out the thread above. One important note about that is the backing-up of your library. Do it because despite the fact that uninstalling SS leaves your library on disk, you can't just reinstall and have it work. Everything was there but a) everything was rearranged and F'ed up and more importantly B) SS thought I was trying to pirate stuff and locked everything so I couldn't access it.

So, you have to back it up and then restore it using the tool in SS before you uninstall.

Also, I freaked because after reinstalling I suddenly had 20G less room on my drive than before. After pulling my hair out for half an hour I realized the problem. When I first installed SS I pointed it to music in My Documents>My Music so that I could access it thru SS. When you do the SS backup it also backs up that stuff. The trick is that when it restored my library it didn't copy the My Music files back to My Music, it created NEW copies in the SS library folder. So it duplicated 20G of music. I figured out what albums were from My Music and deleted them from the library AND the disk. Scary at first, but it just deletes the copies it made upon restore and not the originals in My Music. Then I did an import, searched My Music and it relinked to the songs without copying them.

Now it's time for a beer.

Yes, this isn't often mentioned here, but the backup tool backs up EVERYTHING in the library.

Workaround:

Keep only your OMA [atrac3/plus] tracks in the library when backing it up. It's much easier to re-import your MP3 collection after doing a reinstall/restore than it is to sit and wait while the backup tool copies every MP3 in your library.

Easiest way I've found to do this:

* In "My Library," switch to the "All Tracks" view.

* Right-click on any column header in the window, and enable both "Format" and "Codec"

* Click on the column header for "Codec", sorting the entire library by codec type

* Select all non-ATRAC3plus tracks and hit delete [make sure you do NOT check the box on the confirmation dialogue for "Delete this music file from my computer"]

Notes: The reason I turn on both Format and Codec is because PCM tracks can be either OMA or WAV in the library. Generally speaking you WILL want to remove WAV files from the library, and NOT want to remove OMA PCM files [like uploaded HiMD recordings].

Once you've removed all non-OMA tracks from the library, you can run the backup tool an rest assured that ONLY the files actually created by SS will be backed up.

The difference between my doing this and not with my library is currently about 26GB, so you can see why I do this.

edit: BIG error there:

* Select all non-ATRAC3plus tracks and hit delete [make sure you do NOT check the box on the confirmation dialogue for "Delete this music file from my computer"]

is completely wrong.

It should read:

* Select all non-OpenMG Audio tracks ..

Yeah.

And for that matter, sort by Format, not Codec, and all the OpenMG Audio tracks will group together, letting you select everything else even more easily.

Oops.

Ah, once again I spoke too soon. After doing the involved de-install/re-install of ss3.4 and some transfering, I have discovered that it has improved, but still not fixed. Previously I was unable to transfer more than 1 album at a time without it crashing. Now I can do 3 but any more than that and kablooey. Tried all kinds of albums, (various artists, long track names, etc) and no matter what, past 3 and it crashes.

Does anyone have the 3.2 installer, cause I would really like to scrap 3.3/3.4 since I could transfer a whole HiMD at one time with 3.2. I'm sure there are others who are in the same boat, so let us know.

thanks,

Sean

So - here we have a small group of users who are reporting the same problem with the same software.

What we need to do is figure out what all of your setups have in common.

We can't do this unless you provide this information. So far, all that we actually know is that SS is broken for you.

Please read the forum rules and post again with the requested info. There might be something all of you have in common. We can't know until you tell us.

btw, I still have had none of the issues listed in this thread happen with SS 3.4 on my machine [except the MP3 titles too long thing, which I was aware of since v2.something].

So - here we have a small group of users who are reporting the same problem with the same software.

What we need to do is figure out what all of your setups have in common.

We can't do this unless you provide this information. So far, all that we actually know is that SS is broken for you.

Please read the forum rules and post again with the requested info. There might be something all of you have in common. We can't know until you tell us.

Running SS 3.4. XP Home Ed. SP2, AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 512 RAM, USB 2 (as far as I know!), Norton AV was on, I was likely running Firefox 1.5 at the time as well, possibly Thunderbird, Quicktime might have been in my system tray, as I usually forget to get rid of it.

Here's mine.

SS3.3 (will upgrade to SS3.4 when an offline installer availeble), XP Home SP2, Intel P4 2.6C, 1 GB RAM, Norton Internet Security is on, Using IE and Firefox 1.07 (but I didn't used them during transfer).

Additional points:

My HiMD device is always connected to an USB port (at front panel) and not via a USB hub. Btw, there is NO problem to transfer multiple albums to Sony Netwalk Walkman (NW-A1000) using SS3.3. Also, the freeze problem for transfering multiple albums to HiMD seems not related to the number of tracks, as I did rip tracks from double CDs into a 'single' album in SS3.3 and there is no problem in transfering these into HiMD.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, just joined, and thanks for all the great info on the forum. I just got a MZRH-910 and upgraded right away to SS 3.4. Just thought I'd report I also get the hanging SS when trying to transfer multiple albums...

Have you tried the workaround that I posted earlier in this thread? This should address hangs, not sure about crashes that other people are reporting.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the transfer problem. Hi-MD MZ-M100. I was transferring 32 album at 64K. The first album had 20 tracks, all tracks the same artist. The first time it hung up at the end of the first album. The second time it hung up after I pushed record and before any tracks had transferred. I am using ss 3.4. Pentium 4, 512 MB, Windows XP Home Edition, SP2. My system tray shows Kodak Easy Share Software, MD Simple Burner, Quicktime, and McAfee. My startup contained Kensington Mouse Works, Adobe Gamma Loader, Microsoft Fast Find, and Digital Line Detect, whatever that is. I don't know if I have any codecs running. How do you find out? I had Window Explorer shut down. SS was the only program running.

Today I tried the work around and everything worked fine. I started the transfer on the first album and as soon as it started, I added the other 31 albums.

Edited by Alan Ross

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the same problem with both 3.3 and 3.4 using an NH900 player. I had this problem on another computer running windows 98 SE. I currently have Norton Internet Security running in the background. My System information is as below.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~2992 Mhz

Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB

I have e-mailed Sony, had an incident number, but never received a response. I would suggest we all contact them linking this thread.

Have you tried the workaround that I posted earlier in this thread? This should address hangs, not sure about crashes that other people are reporting.

I tried this by adding ONE album each time and the album simply add to the list and start transfer after the current one finishes. Overall, yes, it seems to work.