Best Security Solutions for your Computer in 2006

Rate this topic

Christopher

Well, after working more than two years now at a cable ISP and almost 4,000 calls under my belt, one quickly realizes which anti-virus and antispyware works, and what doesn't.. :help:

Nonetheless, my recommendations for an ultrasecure Internet experience in 2006 are:

Anti-Virus (in order of best to semi-favorite)

- NOD32:

The anti-virus on all of my personal PC's. Updates for the anti-virus definitions come automatically from NOD32 at least twice or more a day! I have found numerous viruses with this program that Norton, McAfee and many others never detected. The user interface is decent, but if you're a true novice then I'd be a little weary. Furthermore, it consumes the least system resources out of all anti-virus programs I've tested -- I can play a game like Battlefield 2 at max settings (full AA, AF, etc.) with no lag whatsoever. Paid, yearly.

- Trendmicro

Trendmicro is starting to become a love/hate relationship with my observations. They were once my favorite anti-virus of all, but it seems like they have grown too fast. I still recommend the excellent free anti-virus web-app Housecall for those who don't have anti-virus and don't want an application running all the time. Their desktop suite is reminescent of Norton during the mid to late 90's before it became bloatware. I would say this is the most user-friendly application out of my recommendations and overall a pretty well-rounded anti-virus. Paid, yearly.

- AVG Free

AVG Free is an amazing offering -- a totally free, efficient anti-virus suite. The user interface is a little clunky and elementary, but most people (young or old) don't have a problem using it. Updates come somewhat often, but I would consider it to be the least secure in that sense out of the three listed here. Intel recently bought out the company that makes this software, so it is difficult to forsee how long this application will remain free. Definitely do not overlook this if you need a free anti-virus. Free, unlimited.

- Kaspersky

Not sure about this one yet, but it's up there. I'd have to say its probably inbetween NOD32 and Trendmicro.

Norton, McAfee and anything else are not worth your time. I promise you -- I know how everything else performs, and if you're not using one of the above four I've recommended your simply not safe. I cannot even tell you how many times I've had a customer who employed Norton, McAfee or whatever call back after I had them uninstall such and use one of the aforementioned applications I've recommended and thank me wholeheartedly.

----------

Anti-spyware

- Ad-Aware

Still my favorite anti-spyware application of all time because of the quick scanning speed, free updates, and overall good results. I think that this application is absolutely necessary for anyone with a PC on the Internet. I don't have enough words for this application -- just download it and you'll see. Free, unlimited.

- Microsoft Antispyware

I really like this application because of a few things: tight integration with Windows that doesn't produce too much memory consumption (although it does introduce a service that will run on your computer all the time if certain settings are enabled -- yuck) and the PeerNet feature, which allows a 'hive mind' type scenario with spyware discovery. If a user finds a new piece of spyware and Microsoft deems it as such, everyone else who runs the program is automatically protected against it (brilliant). I have seen spyware and adware found with this application that Ad-Aware could not detect. Free, unlimited.

Spybot is overrated, and anything else will probably do nothing more than install more adware or spyware on your PC. Stick with the above two and you'll be fine.

----------

Firewall

- Hardware Router

There is a good article at smallbusinesscomputing.com that gives reasoning as to why a hardware router (firewall) should be considered. I don't agree that you should have a software and hardware router, that is a bit redundant in my opinion. If you tune the hardware right, software isn't necessary. Linksys is a good brand for beginners, and advanced users can employ 3rd party firmware for enhanced flexibility.

- Dedicated Linux Box

Do a couple of Google searches and you'll see why a dedicated Linux box on your network acting as a firewall is the ultimate Internet security measure. This is a good start for the novice.

----------

Internet Browser

Please, do not use Internet Explorer! It is unbelieveable to me to see how many people still rely on this completely outdated and insecure web browser. I know its fallacies from two perspectives: one who crafts websites, and one who helps people get online and keep their PC secure. Internet Explorer is one of the worst browsers to use to have an optimal experience viewing websites (it is not up to current standards), and security wise I could speak volumes. If you really want to make a difference, switch to something such as Mozilla Firefox or Opera; both are free!

Just to add on based on personal experience:

-AVG free. Seems to be a good free AV. No problems so far.

-Mcaffee. (also norton). Although the regular consumer version has nothing to be desired (system hog, etc), the professional/corporate version is pretty good. I have mcaffee coporate (free from my university), and it's pretty good and quite light on the resource.

-Adaware + spybot + MS antispyware. These are my 3 combo now. Regardless of what you pick (those 3 are free, so why not :)), make sure to get more than 1 anti-spyware program. 1 program does NOT detect all the spyware out there.

Firewall:

-Sure, a NAT router is probably good enough to prevent attacks from the outside, but I definitely recommend a software firewall to prevent/detect programs/spyware/trojan contacting out FROM your PC. You'll never know. Besides, sometimes you might not want regular programs like WMP/Quicktime/realplayer, etc connecting to internet for whatever reason, and a software firewall can easily stop that. Oh, and not everyone has the resource/knowledge to built a seperate linux box as a firewall. A software firewall is better than nothing. :)

-Zonealarm, the old favorite, now seems to become a bloatware. WinXP firewall is good enough for most users. Sygate was free and a good one, but not available anymore. I'm using Kerio now, seems to be pretty good, although more annoying than other firewalls sometime. Those with an nForce motherboard might already have a firewall from nVidia. you just need to install a driver from nVidia.

Browser:

-Definitely use Firefox. I've been using it since it was still phoenix/firebird. Use IE only for windows update.

Practise safe browsing habits. Don't download any attachment you see just because. Scan anything you download before running it with an anti-virus. Don't just click on any link you find on google. Be wary of scams and phissing. All the software/hardware mentioned above are just tools, and can easily be disabled/bypassed by ourselves (the user).

Edited by pata2001

Sygate Personal Firewall is still available:

http://www.simtel.com/product.download.mirrors.php?id=53687

Bought by the most craptastic company Symantec recently, who have stated they will kill it. Makes sense since quality would compete with their craptastic products.

I agree that a software firewall is a needed thing to stop outgoing connection attempts from trojans, phone-home programs and what-have-you.

For browsing

Opera and Firefox, nuff said. Ever tried to make standards-based websites with IE?

Please, let's not go there. For the love of all that is good, stop using IE, people.

I dislike all antivirus programs, it's just a case of which one I dislike the least.

For many they are a necessary evil, though.

Edited by tekdroid

Thanks for the tip, currently using Trend-Micro PC-cillin in conjunction with MS Antispyware, but I may give NOD32 a spin as well.

A properly configured hardware router in conjunction with the built in Windows Firewall in XP SP2 should be sufficient for normal home use, right?

To throw my 2 cents in on this one...always have at least two internet browsers availabe to use. I answer technical support calls for a fairly big insurance company, and for whatever reason Firefox just doesn't work for secure logins at our company website. IE and Opera work alright...but Firefox is a no go. Maybe the site was just built crappy and we can hold the designers responsible for that, but...my advice is to keep two web browsers on your computer, just for flexibility.

I use Trend Micro Internet Security on 5 PC's and it is fantastic!

Its scans are quick and very effective and has numerous tools to help all users.

Trend Micro I recon is the best AV program though many say NOD32 is just as good.

Trend Micro also comes with a Firewall, but I wouldn't count on it letting no-one through...

I have a D-Link router set up, so use that hardware firewall as the main firewall as well...

ZoneAlarm I have used as well for a couple of years, and that was alwasy really really good.

Many mates have Norton, and to be honest, I personally think it is the shitest software ever. My mates have so uch trouble with it, they often ring me up to give them advice on how to open ports for MSN etc... waste of everyone's time i recon!

Also use Ad-Aware and Spybot Seach and Destroy to fix all my spyware problems! :P

Edited by MZ-NH1

Here's a thought. How about just not using Windows period biggrin.gif
If it wasn't for that smiley, I would give you an electronic slap! :P

my advice is to keep two web browsers on your computer, just for flexibility.
You still need IE to access sites which depend on ActiveX - like Windows/Office Update. If you have SP2, IE will at least warn you prior to installing/viewing potentially insecure software.

Other things to try, turn off javascript unless needed, turn off cookies unless needed, clear your cookies often, clear your cache often. Even if you use Mozilla, Nestcape, Firefox or Opera, go to control panel, and internet settings, and clear cookies, and files (including offline content). Amazing how much stuff finds it's way there.

Get one e-mail account that is your dedicated junk e-mail repository, or give a spoof e-mail if you don't want an answer back, but don't use someone elses e-mail.

Always be careful and paranoid.

Bob

What anti-virus do you have?

Norton. Yeah, it's crappy. But I got it for free with an off-lease laptop. And it's the enterprise edition, with free lifetime definitions. :D

But the computer that got that trojan is my brother's, with MacAfee and MS antispyware and AdAware. Spybot came and Pwned them all.

Edited by Syrius

Even if you use Mozilla, Nestcape, Firefox or Opera, go to control panel, and internet settings, and clear cookies, and files (including offline content). Amazing how much stuff finds it's way there.

Bob

Give SpyWareBlaster a go.

It never runs in the background, so don't worry about bloatware. Just update to latest definitions and "Enable All" protection. Instant *prevention* of the most low-life tracking cookies and scum on the net without watching your back constantly. In Firefox 1.5, for instance, you'll see a whole bunch of exempted sites in:

Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies > Exceptions...

Does the same for Opera and IE.

Edited by tekdroid

Give SpyWareBlaster a go.

It never runs in the background, so don't worry about bloatware. Just update to latest definitions and "Enable All" protection. Instant *prevention* of the most low-life tracking cookies and scum on the net without watching your back constantly. In Firefox 1.5, for instance, you'll see a whole bunch of exempted sites in:

Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies > Exceptions...

Does the same for Opera and IE.

I use Spyware Blaster myself together with Spybot 1.4. Pretty happy with both of them.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...