Sony music

Rate this topic

pauljones52

Was surfing the internet earlier to find out when the next jamiroquai album was going to come out and I found this quote from JK (the lead singer). Thought it summed up alot about where Sony is going wrong lol!

"Recently Jay Kay has expressed bitter resentment with his longtime record label Sony Music. In a recent interview with the Sydney Morning Herald, he commented that "These days it's 18% music and it's bloody 82% marketing bulls*** ... Next time I do an album, I'm gonna put it up on the internet for five f***ing dollars." He also remarked that a Jamiroquai "greatest hits" album will be released in 2006, purely out of contractual obligation: "2006, they're out of the f***ing picture. Take your greatest hits and stick it up your f***ing arse.""

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamiroquai

Edited by Matt J

I get a bit annoyed when I hear something like this. He probably wasn't so pissed with Sony when he signed a (most likely) multi-million dollar deal with them. Obviously, that money has to be earned back, preferably with a bit of a profit. He signed that deal himself, so don't start complaining about the consequences afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Usually, the first few Albums, everything looks fine - from the outside.

But serious artists keep on evolving, trying new things, changing their style, etc. That's the point, when the contract becomes a liability for the artist,

when the managers start pushing the artist around, out of fear, the next album could be a flop.

And remember the fight George Michael had with Sony Music.

Managers telling good old George, how to make music.

No wonder, he wanted out of that contract.