Sonicstage 3.4 Debuts With Stunning New Functionality

Christopher

Yes I tried this one again just now using an mp3 transferred to my RH10, as well as the same mp3 converted to 192kbps Atrac3+.

When attempting to place a track mark in the track the mp3 stated "Cannot Edit", while the Atrac3+ track stated "Trk from PC no edit".

You can however edit the titles of the tracks... But cannot split the tracks.

EDIT: These were both transferred just now by SS3.4

All right.

That was very helpful.

Thank you.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can someone tell me whether the one time transfer limit is still in place with this upgrade? That's about

the only thing keeping me from making the jump to HiMD.

No it isn't. But the track can't already exist on your PC. If it does you won't be able to upload the same track again. As soon as you delete the track from your PC you can upload again from the same Hi-MD disc without deleting the track on the MD.

No it isn't. But the track can't already exist on your PC. If it does you won't be able to upload the same track again. As soon as you delete the track from your PC you can upload again from the same Hi-MD disc without deleting the track on the MD.

You can also transfer to as many computers as you please with this version. Not that you couldnt do that with some previous versions, but this one includes this functionality not only with self-recordings on the unit... But also tracks transferred to the unit via SonicStage.

Edited by raintheory

Am I right in saying you cna now use SS to download music onto a HI-MD disc (as atrac) and then upload via SS to a 2nd PC?

Yes.

Can i delete tracks with the unit although they were transfered with Sos 3.4?

Yes - I think you've always been able to do this haven't you?

Am I right in saying you cna now use SS to download music onto a HI-MD disc (as atrac) and then upload via SS to a 2nd PC?

Cheers

Pug

Yes, and interestingly enough, you can even transfer tracks transferred in PCM (e.g. via SimpleBurner) and upload them to any other PC running SonicStage 3.4, you can then convert to WAV with SonicStage.

Puts a whole new spin on HiMD. I'd like to see all of the iPod fanatics try to trade songs with one another. :)

Most digital broadcast (dare I say podcasts) downloads are 22 khz or 32 khz files. As popular as these have become I expect Sony will have to make these supported in the future.

22 kHz sampling rate is not supported by MD hardware IMO.

Pretty annoing, as I have to transcode from 32kbps 22kHz mp3 to 48kbps 44kHz Atrac3+ every time I want to listen something from my huge collection on the go..

I believe this was mentioned earlier in the thread but... I think this is amazing news for the future of MD/HI-MD. If sony had any intention of letting this technology die or just plain disappear I can't imagine for a minute that that would be developing such amazing changes to SS. Let's face it; if 2nd gen HI-MD were the last Sony intended to produce I'm sure they would cease with the R&D of SS as well. Revenue-wise it just wouldn't make for good business.

With this more "user-friendly" version of SS there must be a hardward follow-up in the form of 3rd gen HI-MD. It just would not make sense to go through all the trouble of creating and releasing SS 3.4 and then discontinue manufacturing MD/HI-MD altogether. Agreed?

Sony, bring on 3rg gen! I can hardly wait! Thanks for listening to your loyal consumer base. Keep up the good work!

Sony, bring on 3rg gen! I can hardly wait! Thanks for listening to your loyal consumer base. Keep up the good work!

How old do you think the current generation of HiMD units are? Why MUST they bring out a new model every single year? The current models are still relatively new. They can use time-stamping, but otherwise they're pretty good machines. I have found bugs in the software that will crash the MD player (moving a MP3 out of a folder and moving it into a different folder using the RH10 and not SS).

I found that SS 3.4 will move your songs out of the disc and keep them as a MP3, but try to move those MP3's to a different directory on a different drive. It'll delete the moved files before you even have a chance to do anything with them. Irritating.

Sony always seem to update portable models every year or so, and 2nd Gen is nearly a year old. Nothing wrong with the current units, it's just the way the market works.

What would be very nice is some decks...

:ok:

This is fantastic news! I have some Bittorrented live shows (Flac>>mp3>>atrac) for which I lost the original flac's and mp3's (and the computer they were on). They have been stuck on my HiMD disc unable to do anything with them.

It will be great to have computer access to them again!

Can't wait to try it tonight!

:D

Alright. Last dumb question.

So does this mean that if I have .wav files that I have transferred/converted to HiMD via SS, I can transfer these files back to the PC?

I do a radio show, and the end result is a big wav file on my PC. I then transfer the wav file to HiMD for safe keeping, and I'm wondering if I can now transfer them back.

I'm assuming that all the old discs that I have in SP and NetMD can't be transferred still.

Yes, that should work. But if those are important files, you should better have another backup for safety ...

Yeah, I've been keeping them as MP3s as well, and transferring them is actually my last resort. Over the summer I transferred them all back manually and boy that was a pain.

Thanks for the heads-up. That'll make recording LPs a doddle - record down to the MDS-JB8980, do the edits on the deck (you still can't beat MD for ease of editing), then upload to the PC to burn a copy to a CD-R!

The deck doesn't use Hi-MD formats, so you won't be able to upload.

MD editing is fantastic, especially with a deck. About 4 years ago I decided not to wait for Sony to fix it's software problems and purchased a CDR-W33 on Ebay for a decent price (Less than a high end Hi-MD recorder). I highly recommend them. I do all my editing of live and personal recordings on MD and then copy optically (slow, I know) to the CDR-W33. You can over-ride copy protection on your incoming signal, choose to include protection on your cd or not, and add text directly to cd as well. The cd can then be copied or added into a computer and thrown onto as many MD's as you'd like.

I will be downloading SS 3.4 to try it though. I do have a question about 3.4 though - Starting with 3.2 ( I believe, but it could be earlier) you could no longer use SonicStage to "BackUp" a cd. Can you copy (Back Up in Sony speak) CD's in 3.4?

I used to purchase a cd, use SonicStage to make a back-up "complilation" so that I could have my copy come out with full text (a standard back-up would not include text if the original didn't) and then copy it to MD with SP and Joint text and I had a high quality, labeled for me to enjoy, the original CD went back in the Jewel case in storage and the full copy with text went into the CD library for occasional use. I was very frustrated with Sony (yet again) when this feature vanished.

Speaking of vanishing features, anyone here also recall that back in oh, SonicStage 1.2 for example, you could edit your songs on the computer so long as no copies were checked out? Very handy for getting rid of annoying intro's and outro's on live discs and "art" albums. And when listening on the computer SonicStage had an adjustable EQ that went the way of the dodo somewhere in Sonicstage 2.x.

So now there is more than one question:

Does 3.4 support full content CD "back-ups"?

Does 3.4 include an EQ or adjustable soundfields?

Does 3.4 allow editing of tracks ripped from CD's?

Thanks,

Darron

Thanks for the heads-up. That'll make recording LPs a doddle - record down to the MDS-JB8980, do the edits on the deck (you still can't beat MD for ease of editing), then upload to the PC to burn a copy to a CD-R!

Please please note that any recordings done in non Hi-MD format CANNOT be uploaded digitally(high speed) and will need be done via real-time analog recording to PC. All the new features of uploading only affect Hi-MD and its uploading capability.

I'm very new to all this. Just wanted to know if SS 3.4 is of any use to Net MDs? I record live music and want to upload it to my PC. Can I use SS 3.4 now to do this?

Gill

Short answer... Nope.

The PC>NetMD link is a one-way street, hardware wise. No software updates can change the NetMD unit's hardware to enable it. -_-

This is an excellent addition to sonicstage. Has anyone tried downloading a wave to md, uploading it back and comparing it with the original? it would be interesting to see the difference between the two.

I just compared the CRC32 and MD5 values of a WAV file before and after transferring to HiMD and then transferring back to PC:

The values are identical. :D

It should be identical, however a bit-for-bit comparison for ATRAC-files may fail.

Reason: Tags. If the Track is reimported, the import date/time is different. Genre is missing after reimport as well.

Generally, an update is recommended, as the library system has been significantly optimized.

First, SonicStage 3.4 starts about three times faster that 3.3, switching between views is much faster as well.

(Library size here: 7250 Tracks, Size about 73 GBytes; AthlonXP2000+/512MB)

Soundwise, a quick comparison revealed no audible differences,

so I guess, the codec is the same as in SS3.3.

Edited by jadeclaw

gday,

I was just wondering if this version of sonic stage is for all countries or not.

i live in australia and have downloaded a eruopean version in hte past and it recorded really bad so i had to swap back to my original, if it isn't for all countries, what is the latest version for australia and where can i download it.

cheers.

Will this upgrade function on an MZ-RH910 bought in Canada? The Sony web site gives conflicting statements about the same model number depending on where you bought it (Canada or US) Do we in Canada stay with 3.3? Thanks for an answer...

Edited by herterj

So......my hangover is kicking in :blink::wacko: ........am I correct in thinking that tracks I transferred to my hi-MD, and have since deleted from my SonicStage library, can now be re-uploaded into SS from MD, without losing the tracks from the MD?

If so........WOW!!!!!!!!!! I've joined this forum only about 2 weeks ago, to ask about exactly this, as I had tracks on my MD that I tried to re-upload, but lost off the disc.

And........to install the new version, do I just have to download it and it will replace my version 2.0?

By the way, I bought my mz-nh700 in the U.K. and now live in Thailand.