Sonicstage 3.4 Debuts With Stunning New Functionality

Christopher

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In regards to uploading to computer with Hi-MD portable, the new SS 3.4 can accept any bit rate other than PCM recorded from analog to be transferred and converted to WAV? Because if that is the case I can record live with a regular Minidisc as long it formatted as Hi-MD, am I understanding this correctly?

hi all

i keep getting a fault with my version of sonic stage 3.4, i keep getting the error to do with omgjbox.exe, it occurs when i'm trying to make discs in either net md or hi-md formats. anyone got any ideas or has had this problem???

thanks

chris

(edit) had been suggested, via microsift error report, that the problem is with morgan switch, tried no good. not happy, 2.1 is looking better at this point.

Edited by ramchargerv8

Why SONY can't make upload Net-Md firmware to compatibility the last hardware (NetMds) with the new SS4.0 capabilities?

What do you want, SONY? The Net-Md users don't need to lose money in news Hi-Md products...

Why people can't read the threads ?

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=14120 -_-

Do you believe that Sony is a non-profit organisation that will spend millions in research for no return ? :rolleyes:

Could anybody please verify if they finally have provided an option to disable the annoying "Transfer complete" sound notification in this new version?

My computer audio-out is fed to a big stereo system and that notification just blows everything off when I accidentally forget to turn sound off before transfers...

I have all system sounds (files found in \Windows\Media) cut by 10dB, but can't seem to find the SonicStage's sound notification files...

Could anybody please verify if they finally have provided an option to disable the annoying "Transfer complete" sound notification in this new version?

My computer audio-out is fed to a big stereo system and that notification just blows everything off when I accidentally forget to turn sound off before transfers...

I have all system sounds (files found in \Windows\Media) cut by 10dB, but can't seem to find the SonicStage's sound notification files...

The file is called "complete.wav" and is in C:\Program Files\Sony\SonicStage\Data\Image\se

Unfortunately as far as I'm aware it cannot be disabled by the UI.

Why people can't read the threads ?

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=14120 -_-

Do you believe that Sony is a non-profit organisation that will spend millions in research for no return ? :rolleyes:

OK, I read it yet,...Thanks for nothing...I know the Sony's reason, and invert money in Sony's users is not spend millions in research of no return...IT'S REANIMATE A FORMAT THAT THEY KILLED

Hi guys,

Anyone recognize this error message when installing v3.4?

"Installation process for SonicStage 3.4 has been terminated. (2051, 20703)"

Thanks in advance

Interesting. I had an issue when trying to install 3.4 as well. I found the installer log file and it kept bombing out on a file copy... it ended up being some file/folder permissions or other file/folder attribute was messed up in a SS program folder. I ran Scandisk/chkdsk (full - must do after reboot) on my computer. It found a couple issues, fixed them, and after that I was able to install without any problems. This was on my Windows 2000 box, but I imagine the same thing could happen on a XP system as well.

Hope that helps.

NO ONE HAS MENTIONED ANY CHANGES FOR OLD STYLE MD. can we download true sp through sonic stage? can we upload any recordings through usb on net md? please tell me the answer is yes!

If you have a NetMD recorder, it won't even have the code in the firmware to upload atrac data over usb.

If you have a HiMD unit, it MIGHT be possible to hack it, that it transfers a track "accidentally" but the resulting file will be useless if it is a SP track since the Atrac1 (SP) codec does not exist in software. There is not one single SP Codec available. the initial Atrac algorithm seems to be one of the most protected secrets at sony. I think, they used a few patents from others for this algorithm and have only a licence to use it in hardware. the later algos (Atrac3/3+) might be completely invented by sony and therefore they can deliver software codecs for this. So a transfer of a LP2/4 Track MIGHT be possible. But sony wants to sell their new HiMD units...

New Features:

• Tracks can be transferred in ATRAC 192kbps to a Hi-MD device.
  • Tracks recorded with a Hi-MD device with the digital/analogue inputs or microphone input can be uploaded to SonicStage and saved in WAV (PCM) format. (e.g. burn a Hi-MD disc, send to a friend and they can upload all contents to their computer without DRM woes; record via optical, no BS upload restriciton!)

• Audio CD's can be ripped in ATRAC 352kbps.
  • CD information can be displayed from the tracks in My Library.
  • WAV files can be converted into ATRAC Advanced Lossless format.
  • ATRAC format files (including ATRAC Advanced Lossless) can be converted into WAV format.
  • Song lyrics can be displayed when clicking the "Lyrics" button (only if the lyrics are encoded with the track).
---------

So let's resume:

There are units which store all the data with encryption in one single file

There's virtually no way to "log on" to the unit to bypass SS and get the decrypted data directly from disc

This all was done due to DRM reasons.

Now SS3.4 allows you to upload any Track from the disc, even already transferred tracks, unlimited times.

Well, sony, wouldnt it have been cheaper without the whole DRM crap at all? Why not simply storing the files as FILES on the disc (unencrypted)? This would even make disc backups possible and would enable Mac and even Linux users to use ALL features of the HiMD. they would just need the codecs.

Ok, the Hardware was built before the great change of Sonys DRM Policies

So, lets think about firmware upgrades via usb...

But thanks although for finally understanding the users wishes.

I had been resisting buying a HiMD unit because I was worried it would be discontinued. But, since Sony is willing to make an effort with DRM to make the customers happy, I'm now willing to buy one and take that risk.

So, thanks, Sony! Please keep improving your products, and more people like me will be willing to buy them. Your efforts (good and bad...lol) don't go unnoticed.

For my next request, tell SonyBMG to keep their noses out of your consumer electronics business. They're producers, not technologists. If Sony Electronics told SonyBMG to release CDs that only played on Sony equipment, they'd laugh at you. Well, next time they tell you how to do DRM tell them to take a long walk off a short pier. I'll make the cement shoes.

W00t! I'm getting a HiMD! B)

I had been resisting buying a HiMD unit because I was worried it would be discontinued. But, since Sony is willing to make an effort with DRM to make the customers happy, I'm now willing to buy one and take that risk.

So, thanks, Sony! Please keep improving your products, and more people like me will be willing to buy them. Your efforts (good and bad...lol) don't go unnoticed.

For my next request, tell SonyBMG to keep their noses out of your consumer electronics business. They're producers, not technologists. If Sony Electronics told SonyBMG to release CDs that only played on Sony equipment, they'd laugh at you. Well, next time they tell you how to do DRM tell them to take a long walk off a short pier. I'll make the cement shoes.

W00t! I'm getting a HiMD! B)

I feel the same way, I might consider md again. But my main concern is whether I can transfer tracks recorded from different bit rate using regular md disc to WAV with SS 3.4 as long that disc has been formatted to Hi-MD. I think I've ask this before on this forum, but I have

not received a reply on it. So please someone tell me. The reason for this is so that I don't have to rely on hi-md disc to use since it's so hard to find them in local store. I wish Sony would just release them at BB or CC, come on Sony! I'm thinking about getting a MZ-M100 soon. I have a chance to get for 340.00 not including trade ins here in local Guitar Center outlet.

I kind like the OLED on it.

This new from Sony is great.. what do you think would be nice features to add in next generation of Hi-Md (if there will be one)?

My suggestions:

- I think it would be nice to have 3rd gen based on a 20gb hd or even on a 4gb flash unit (nowadays discs are a little bit uncomfortables, don't you think?);

- integrated FM radio, with rec possibility;

- complete support to drag'n'drop songs with unlimited uploads/downloads ability;

it would be the best mp3 player/recorder every made.. no more iPods! :P

You should´ve seen the problems my Bro Had trying to transfer music from iTunes to his iPod...

A tad off-topic, but...

At least Apple has third-parties making better software for their hardware :P

ml_ipod (if your brother uses Winamp)

SharePod to install on the iPod itself

Both will allow transferring of files TO and FROM the unit (unlike Crapple iTunes for dopi)

;)

If Sony had that level of support, nobody would use SonicStage.

So, Apple dopi fans still have it good.

I really don't think there will be a 3rd gen of Hi-MD...why? well..have you noticed that most retailers, outside of ebay and internet shopping sites do not sell any minidisc units at all?. The consumers have said "Too much restriction, we're going to HD or flash".

I think that is what sony is going to do, release more flash-based and hard drive based units and let MD die.

I used to own an MZN-707. It was good, I just hated the conversion process. If Sony had let their consumer electronics division give us drag and drop without sonic stage at the NetMD generation, then there wouldn't be as many flash or HD players out there. They came into the mp3 game a little late, and lost the market to flash, HD, and mp3/CD.

Unless I see a Hi-MD unit which has drag and drop without sonic stage, I'm not using it again, unless of course, I can get a Net MD or Hi-MD unit at a more then reasonable price.

I really don't think there will be a 3rd gen of Hi-MD...why? well..have you noticed that most retailers, outside of ebay and internet shopping sites do not sell any minidisc units at all?. The consumers have said "Too much restriction, we're going to HD or flash".

I think that is what sony is going to do, release more flash-based and hard drive based units and let MD die.

Ok, BUT: Sony has demonstrated to have good skills and "know-how" about making little non-professional and not-so-expansive portable recorders, so I don't see the point of throwing away all this knowledge, above all considering that there is a part of market who needs and ask for this kind of product; if you take a look at the mp3-players market, there's neither a unit that can record as good as Minidisc do.

So, in my opinion: either Sony makes a 3rd gen of Hi-MD with all we are asking for (easy drag'n'drop with no upload/download restrictions), or they can let MD die but they add the same good record capabilities we had with Minidisc on *at least* one of new MP3 units.

I actually prefer the check in - out option, as it stops me copying files that wont play on my player. As I rip most of my music off cds into atrac, drag and drop would not be that useful to me. However support for drag and drop for HD or flash based sony players would be a different matter.

Will this upgrade function on an MZ-RH910 bought in Canada? The Sony web site gives conflicting statements about the same model number depending on where you bought it (Canada or US) Do we in Canada stay with 3.3? Thanks for an answer...

Hi, I'm in Canada too. I've noticed that Sony Canada usually puts the Canadian version of the software online a month or so later than the one inteded for the US. The only difference between the two is lack of Connect feature in Canadian version. We can't use it anyway. Other than that, no problem. You can download the US version. I did the same.

I actually prefer the check in - out option, as it stops me copying files that wont play on my player. As I rip most of my music off cds into atrac, drag and drop would not be that useful to me. However support for drag and drop for HD or flash based sony players would be a different matter.

As a mini disc user for recording, I am interested in the new features of Sonicstage. But having only recently picked up an mp3 player for listening to tunes, I don't see my needs including HIMD for that. The Lexar L-200 player which uses SD cards sounds fine by me in 128, and after reading some of the descriptions on here about using the software and the whole Sony conversion process, I don't have time for that. The flash recorder/SD card system is just way easier; drag and drop. (I originally was going to hold out and pick up the HIMD for recording and listening, but the Lexar is way smaller for carrying around). I do plan to pick up a HIMD unit though, maybe in the spring, but I'm afraid it won't be used for anything other than recording...

I do plan to pick up a HIMD unit though, maybe in the spring, but I'm afraid it won't be used for anything other than recording...

That seems to be where Sony is/was heading recently, with MD being targeted for pro/semipro audio. (Wave-only in the Mac software, with no DRM.) Still, it's been awhile since the MZ-M10 and MZ-M100 were released. I'd hoped there would be further developments (like non-portable models for home studios and radio stations) by now. I'd love to know what Sony's current plans for MD are.

I am very happy with the progression of SS. Though, I'm still waiting for Sony to update the simple mode skins for SS. The two that are available are ok, but WHAT I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO SEE IS: a toolbar mode for SS. Like iTunes, Win Media Player, and registered Real Player do, it would be great if SS minimized to the taskbar in a toolbar mode with a functional skin like the aforementioned. Please, please, please Sony, if you read this, incorporate a toolbar mode.

A dedicated Hi-MD user,

_Scott

Hi there, does anyone know when the full offline installer of SonicStage 3.4 will be made available on these boards, or is the download currently available anywhere else?

I use a dial-up connection that times out after 2 hours and subsequently can't download the program using Sony's official Sonicstage installer. You'd think by this time Sony would finally implement the function to resume broken downloads, but no, they haven't.

Edited by Pikman

Sorry for asking this as I think someone else has raised this question already - but after 16 pages of posts my mind begins to glaze :blink:

I have just updated to SS3.4, and first of all, a big THANK YOU to Sony for continuing to show us (albeit a bit slowly!) how much potential Hi-MD really has. Never owned an MP3 player or iPod and never will, now. B)

BUT...I have found that .OMA files I've recorded previously with SS3.3 are now useless - I can't play them because SS3.4 returns "Cannot play back this track. Do you want to connect to the Internet and download the license for the track?" (and these were files of music that I already own!). Even if I click Yes it fails with "Cannot load the rights information for the selected tracks. The file format might not be supported by SonicStage (0000010d)".

So now, unless I want to root through box after box of CDs, I have more or less lost some music grumble grumble :angry:

peace

WaywardTraveller

This is hindsight and it's not going to help you, but:

Every time you make any change to SonicStage it's a good idea to run the Backup Tool. (Under Programs/SonicStage but not in SonicStage.) It makes a copy of your library and somehow tells the new SonicStage that you're the owner.

If you simply overlaid 3.4 on a previous installation, it shouldn't have screwed up your digital rights information, but it obviously did. And once it decides you're an evil music pirate, it locks you out of those files, so you will probably have to re-rip.

Since I haven't installed 3.4 yet, I'm not sure if there's a way to take digital rights information out of your next rips. Perhaps someone else knows?

It is very strange: I made the same, and I didn't have any problem.

perhaps, you forgot to check out the " add copy protection" when you ripped your cds in ss3.3?

It is very strange: I made the same, and I didn't have any problem.

perhaps, you forgot to check out the " add copy protection" when you ripped your cds in ss3.3?

I just noticed that option in SS3.4. Has it always been there? I notice it defaults to on.

Evil Sony... yes, I want to copy protect my OWN music that *I* am ripping for my use.

Of course since I never noticed it it means all my old tracks can't be moved between my 2 computers (not that I ever was able to.. since I didn't see that or it wasn't there or whatever). At least I never ripped much into ATRAC. I may now, since I see how to do it properly for my needs.

(I just want to add, not that it helps anyone in hindsight, that I also just upgraded SS3.3 in place to 3.4 and all of my music played OK. I *did* full uninstall 3.2 to go to 3.3 and that was fine, too... must have been an unfortunate quirk that A440 ran into!)

Really cool new version..

Now I am able to recover some songs that were trapped only on Hi-MD..

The ones on normal MD it seems they still have to wait..

So now there are not many things missing regarding MD + Computer:

The most wanted for me are:

1. easier handling of files which means:

a)auto update library

b)removing files from library on DEL

c)adding files with drag and drop

2. direct support for other audio formats - best case with plugins because it's the only way to make sure everyone can use the format of his/her choice.

3. finally a way to play my ATRAC files back in other applications - whether through a release of the codec or by writing a plugin at least for winamp and wmp because these are the most common players

thanks in advance ;-)