Making MDs louder...

Rate this topic

Stray Dog

Quick answers:

* if you have a european/british unit, you might be able to uncap the volume restriction, though this involves a certain amount of risk to the unit [going into test mode and changing firmware settings, if the unit supports it]

* get more sensitive 'phones as greenmachine suggested

* buy or build an external headphone amp to provide more power

I have the same unit and the same problem. I've never been able to resolve the problem and was left with no option but to buy a new MD player. The newer ones can all be uncapped. The N710 is the most severely volume-capped European MD unit and I don't know of any way to un-cap it.

Sorry, you've been Sony-ed.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick answers:

* if you have a european/british unit, you might be able to uncap the volume restriction, though this involves a certain amount of risk to the unit [going into test mode and changing firmware settings, if the unit supports it]

* get more sensitive 'phones as greenmachine suggested

* buy or build an external headphone amp to provide more power

u said that changing firmware settings it is possible to hack the volume.

I am able to access the firmware but what do I have to change?

If anyone knows how please let me know...

korn_child_rules@hotmail.com

Recording using real-time optical will yield louder volume than downloading the music to your unit with SonicStage. It's a limitation with all NetMD units, AFAIK.

Try recording in real-time (if not already).

I've never noticed this. Unless of course you mean by increasing the recording volume but this yields distortion.

Well, dubbing CD to MD on my bookshelf (realtime digital) does indeed have a louder volume than when I copy the same track using the units NetMD features.

I recall than when using my old N510 NetMD, NetMD recordings would only ever peak at 4 out of 6 of the level indicators, whereas recording from a DVD player using optical (at the unit's auto/default recording level) would peak at 5 out of 6 - the optimal level according to the unit's manual.

I got better output by doing realtime.

Don't know if this applies to HiMD, would be interesting if someone could confirm.