Leveling EQ for a track

Rate this topic

Morgoth

Please?someone?

My guess is that no one is responding because your question is not actually a simple one [iMO].

The quickest answer is of course to use the EQ on the player if it has one; I'm assuming by the fact that you're even asking this that yours doesn't [you haven't told us what you have].

Otherwise, yes you can EQ tracks before downloading, but it's not a simple matter of setting an EQ somewhere and then downloading.

If you have your music as a library of atrac3 files [i'm assuming that since you don't have an EQ, you're using a netMD model without, since all HiMDs have the EQ] on your PC, then the only way to EQ them is to decode them to some other format [i.e. WAV], open them in an editing program, EQ them, save them, go back to SS, and finally re-import the WAV and convert it back to atrac3 for downloading [having also lost all track info such as titling in the process].

If you have your music as MP3s and transcode them on the fly when downloading to your player, the process can be simpler, but it depends on using FFDshow as your MP3 codec. You have to set FFDshow to use 16-bit output, enable the EQ filter it comes with, set the EQ as you like, then go transcode files in SS. The EQ setting will be applied to whatever MP3s you transcode.

I'll note once again that I don't actually recommend FFDshow for users who are non-technical, as the myriad options is presents can be confusing.

Otherwise, with MP3s it's the same process as for atrac3 files.

I'll note that there are software out there that do batch-processing, but even with such you'll still be losing all track info and making a complete utter mess of your library, not to mention having to sit and wait through decoding, EQing, and re-encoding every single track.

The simplest possible answers to your question really are:

1 - get better headphones

2 - barring that, get a unit with an EQ

I own a 510 mz sony unit, using senn MX 450 earphones.

If you have your music as MP3s and transcode them on the fly when downloading to your player, the process can be simpler, but it depends on using FFDshow as your MP3 codec. You have to set FFDshow to use 16-bit output, enable the EQ filter it comes with, set the EQ as you like, then go transcode files in SS. The EQ setting will be applied to whatever MP3s you transcode.

what do you mean FFDshow? where can I find info about this?