Discussion Thread: ClearType Antialiasing for SonicStage

Rate this topic

Ishiyoshi

For your convenience, please read this guide: A Guide to Enable ClearType Antialiasing for SonicStage for further details. Cheers.

Brilliant! This is something I had hoped was possible for a long time, but never quite figured out how to implement. Thanks!

Edit: Can confirm that this works well. Arial also seems to work ok as the default font.

Brilliant! This is something I had hoped was possible for a long time, but never quite figured out how to implement. Thanks!

Edit: Can confirm that this works well. Arial also seems to work ok as the default font.

You are most welcome, Richard. Thanks for the report. I suspect most generic or the usual fonts will work just fine.

• 1 month later...

MS UI Gothic is not present on my system, nor in my rather large [uninstalled] font collection. Does it come with MS Office [which I have refused to reinstall since OpenOffice became stable enough to use] or something?

I believe MS Gothic (along with MS Mincho) comes with the East Asian Language Pack for WinXP. If you need MS Gothic in particular, drop me a pm and I will send it over separately.

So, wait a minute. What exactly is this supposed to do?

ClearType Antialiasing significantly improves readability on color LCD monitors with digital interface - especially those in laptops and high-quality flat desktop displays. By default, SonicStage does not have ClearType Antialiasing - thus the guide to enable it manually.

Is there a faster way to perform this hack than to edit every XML file one at a time?

No. Unfortunately, you will have to edit each and every XML file I have outlined within the guide.

Does it really matter if I have a CRT?

Readability on CRT screens should witness decent improvement with ClearType Antialiasing as well.

Yes, it does.

Please read the instructions thoroughly - especially point #1 and #2.

Thanks for the effort, Ishiyoshi, but I think the confusion stems from your instruction to edit "all relevant" XML files, meaning those that have <font> tags in them. You will find that a few of the XML files have several dozens of shorter sections bounded by <font> tags, thus your instructions may or may not have meant to reach that far -- strictly interpreting your words, though, they do.

I recommend that you re-word the instructions accordingly. Also, since so many people are using this, why not list the files requiring modification? No big deal. I'll do it if you're not willing (though you started this thread).

Very few of us have any interest in installing a Japanese font, per the instructions in this topic.

As the much better alternative, install any one of the following six new ClearType fonts that will be included in the next OS:

IPB Image

You will find the fonts here. They are English. Note that Consolas is the only non-proportional font face.

Thanks for the effort, Ishiyoshi, but I think the confusion stems from your instruction to edit "all relevant" XML files, meaning those that have <font> tags in them. You will find that a few of the XML files have several dozens of shorter sections bounded by <font> tags, thus your instructions may or may not have meant to reach that far -- strictly interpreting your words, though, they do.

I recommend that you re-word the instructions accordingly. Also, since so many people are using this, why not list the files requiring modification? No big deal. I'll do it if you're not willing (though you started this thread).

I thought it's cystal clear even from the first few words in point #1 (Edit all XML files within "C:\Program Files\Sony\SonicStage\Data\XML") Well, I will re-word "every relevant" to "every" instead for your convenience.

Very few of us have any interest in installing a Japanese font, per the instructions in this topic.

As I have stated very clearly in the guide: "Note: It is advisable to use MS UI Gothic for proper display of text within the UI. (most generic or the usual fonts will work as well).)" I apologize for writing the guide from a Japanese perspective. But it's clear that you are free and should venture to your preferred fonts - if you have no interest in using Asian based fonts, go forth with whatever pleases you.

• 1 month later...

I downloaded a trial of UltraEdit-32 which allowed me to replace <font> with <font><AntiAliasQuality>2</AntiAliasQuality> across all *.xml files in that dir with one find and replace. Might save someone a lot of time. I switched the font to arial myself. Not sure if I like the look though.

I downloaded a trial of UltraEdit-32 which allowed me to replace <font> with <font><AntiAliasQuality>2</AntiAliasQuality> across all *.xml files in that dir with one find and replace. Might save someone a lot of time. I switched the font to arial myself. Not sure if I like the look though.

Nice tip Sparky! :ok: I actually use UltraEdit quite a bit at work, but hadn't actually thought of doing this. Good job!

I thought XMLSPY might be able to do it, but I don't see it as option. Those file editors are soooo handy for these kinda things. If I had time I'd write a little app to do it, make it easy to experiment with different fonts. But its kinda something you don't do very often.

I thought XMLSPY might be able to do it, but I don't see it as option. Those file editors are soooo handy for these kinda things. If I had time I'd write a little app to do it, make it easy to experiment with different fonts. But its kinda something you don't do very often.

Ultra-Edit is absolutely superb at doing search and replaces, and search and replace within columns etc.. XMLSpy is also very good, but I only use it occasionally - I'm not sure it can do the search in directory...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Here are the edited XML files, as requested a while back by danielbb90:

[attachmentid=2054]

These files have been copied directly from my successfully tweaked SonicStage 4.0 installation. I don't know how they would go in earlier versions. In any case, be sure to make a backup of your existing files before overwriting them!

Thank you, Ishiyoshi, for posting this tip. :thank_you2:

xml.zip