Very frustrated with MD now

Rate this topic

dave_bass5

Hi all

not posted here for a while but ill get to the point

I have a MZ NH900 and been happy with it since it came out but over christmas i had a disaster.

i was editing markers on a recording i had done and all of a sudden i got the message "cannot record or playback with this MD" or something like that. i took the disc and battery out, put them back in and the disc started to format. i lost everything. totaly blank MD.

So i did the usual and threw the unit at the(softish)wall. this of course made me feel better but didnt get the recording back. unit still works ok (but then i dont consider it to be ok when it formats disc's or cant play them back) so i felt i had nothing to lose as although ive been in to MD since it first appeared im now ditching it as soon as i find another portable recording unit.

Then, 2 weeks ago i split a glass of coke over it as it was recording. i didnt know this had happened at first but when i looked at the unit it was dead. i took the disc and battery out over night and in the morning it all worked fine apart from the fact that the recording had stopped when the cocke hit it and now i cant transfer the recording via SS3 although it plays ok.

anyway, rant over. im not looking for help as i dont want anymore to do with a format that is so unreliable (this is not the first recording ive lost but it never happened until HiMD came along)

long live MP3 recorders

Dave

This thread has about the same value as some of the rediculous safety instructions put on electrical appliances these days.

For example how many of you actually read the instructions on a Philips Hairdryer -- this is not B/S -- the instructions actually state " Warning --this product must not be used in the shower.

'Nuf said.

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

Other useless markings....

Tesco's Tiramisu on bottom of pack - Caution do not turn this product over.

Tesco's Salted Peanuts - Caution, this product may contain traces of nuts as it was made in a factory that uses nut products.

Dont give up on MD just because it had one problem.

Personally if I had a recording that was important, the first thing I would do is import it into SS and then edit it so that if anything happened I could go back and retry. Did you have the unit connected to the mains when editing as it draws alot of power when editing and it could well be that there was not enough left to write to the disc.

Get the unit replaced under household insurance. I know of very few MP3 players that are good recorders and few will take anything like the abuse a Minidisc can take and keep running. I also hate having to carry a charging unit around with me with my MP3 player, prefer to take the MD and a spare set of AA batteries.

Edited by Qwakrz

Hi all

I have a MZ NH900 and been happy with it since it came out but over christmas i had a disaster.

i was editing markers on a recording i had done and all of a sudden i got the message "cannot record or playback with this MD" or something like that. i took the disc and battery out, put them back in and the disc started to format. i lost everything. totaly blank MD.

Seems to me this is the root of the problem. The first-gen has some notable bugs which I can't seem to recall coz I never edit the discs on the unit after a recording. Second-generation units, I think some (all?) of those bugs were fixed by Sony.

As for the disc formatting. Did it do it itself or did you format it?

It's interesting to me how .. different people, because they use MD or HiMD differently, find different bugs in the firmware.

I have never experienced any editing bugs with HiMD simply because I don't usually use its editing features.

This probably comes from a tacit philosophy of mine: never edit the master, or for those less hardcore than I, never edit the master until it's been duplicated. Of course, once it's been duplicated [i.e. uploaded], it's far easy to edit on the computer than on the recorder. As a result, I never find the editing-related bugs.

What constitutes a softish wall ? Most of the ones I've walked into have been rather hard.

Going near electrical stuff with Coke or coffee is just asking for trouble, caffine and sugar just love circuits and switches.

Using the MD recorder to anything more that basic track marking is so tedious. If you are at home it is much easier to transfer the file to a PC either directly or via Xitel USB and use PC software to to split and clean up the tracks. And as dex Otaku suggests you aren't editing your master file.

Going near electrical stuff with Coke or coffee is just asking for trouble, caffine and sugar just love circuits and switches.

I have found that a glass of Southern Comfort will also play havoc with a keyboard. And then of course there's the shock you incur seeing all that lovely alcohol disappearing inside the keyboard, which means you then have to pour yourself a much bigger glass than you started out with.

Hi all

So i did the usual and threw the unit at the(softish)wall. this of course made me feel better but didnt get the recording back. unit still works ok (but then i dont consider it to be ok when it formats disc's or cant play them back) so i felt i had nothing to lose as although ive been in to MD since it first appeared im now ditching it as soon as i find another portable recording unit.

Then, 2 weeks ago i split a glass of coke over it as it was recording. i didnt know this had happened at first but when i looked at the unit it was dead. i took the disc and battery out over night and in the morning it all worked fine apart from the fact that the recording had stopped when the cocke hit it and now i cant transfer the recording via SS3 although it plays ok.

anyway, rant over. im not looking for help as i dont want anymore to do with a format that is so unreliable (this is not the first recording ive lost but it never happened until HiMD came along)

long live MP3 recorders

Dave

Ok guys, ive been away so only just started reading your replies (in fact only read 2)

Maybe i wasnt clear in my original post (thought i was but sorry anyway)

I complained about loosing a whole disc worth of recordings and then said i was going to ditch MD

I then went on to write about the coke going over the unit but it still working.

of course i wasnt complaining about the player not working after this and i thought that would just be commone sense but obviously not

That bit came after the complaint and wasnt meant as a go at Sony (although the first bit was)

I hope this thread can now stop being a dumping ground for jokes.

Dave.

It's interesting to me how .. different people, because they use MD or HiMD differently, find different bugs in the firmware.

I have never experienced any editing bugs with HiMD simply because I don't usually use its editing features.

This probably comes from a tacit philosophy of mine: never edit the master, or for those less hardcore than I, never edit the master until it's been duplicated. Of course, once it's been duplicated [i.e. uploaded], it's far easy to edit on the computer than on the recorder. As a result, I never find the editing-related bugs.

Dex

you are right of course but you would think that it should be safe. i was only putting markers on but normaly i would transfer it first.

Dave.

Joking aside, everyone has different experiences of using MD as this forum shows only too clearly. I guess the great thing about this site is that we can all share our problems/solutions/workarounds and I am sure that the majority here are sold on the idea of MD. If a better meduim presents itself (I don't believe that an affordable alternative is available yet) then maybe opinion will change. I have to say that I have never had a problem with Sonic Stage in any of the versions that I have used and I love the fantastic recordings that MD can make whether it be by microphone, line-in or download from PC.

I have to admit to not taking the trouble of creating a line-in copy of an important recording but have trusted blindly to Sonic Stage - "more fool you" I hear some say. That being the case I don't expect to get any sympathy the first time my recording goes belly up and I lose everything.

When there are known problems we should either follow the perceived wisdom or make our own way. So the meduim isn't perfect - what else is in this world? For me, MD is just what I need and with the last few developments of SonicStage it has only got better. Whatever format you choose dave_bass5 I hope it serves you well. :bye:

Joking aside, everyone has different experiences of using MD as this forum shows only too clearly. I guess the great thing about this site is that we can all share our problems/solutions/workarounds and I am sure that the majority here are sold on the idea of MD. If a better meduim presents itself (I don't believe that an affordable alternative is available yet) then maybe opinion will change. I have to say that I have never had a problem with Sonic Stage in any of the versions that I have used and I love the fantastic recordings that MD can make whether it be by microphone, line-in or download from PC.

I have to admit to not taking the trouble of creating a line-in copy of an important recording but have trusted blindly to Sonic Stage - "more fool you" I hear some say. That being the case I don't expect to get any sympathy the first time my recording goes belly up and I lose everything.

When there are known problems we should either follow the perceived wisdom or make our own way. So the meduim isn't perfect - what else is in this world? For me, MD is just what I need and with the last few developments of SonicStage it has only got better. Whatever format you choose dave_bass5 I hope it serves you well. :bye:

Well i hold my head in shame as i cant find a better way of recording live music than HiMD so im starting to look at the latest Hi-MD recorders.

I would rather not use a portable but i have no choice, also it needs to be cheap.

Im looking at the Sony MZ-Rh10 as it seems to be the only one (and please correct me if im wrong) that has an display you can see in the dark (i dont use the remote) and has mic in.

£165 is about my limit

Dave.

Yes, long live mp3 recorders. You are absurd, but the prospect of the hilarity of the replies keep me from locking this.

Hmm, what do you mean im absurd?

The bit about the coke was a follow up after i had already said i was giving up on this format so im not sure what you are meaning by this.

And i do believe MP3 recorders will totaly wipe out MD in the future.

its hard enough getting hold of MD as it is. Md in one form or another has been around for ages and yet most people who want portable music go for MP3 players.

There is a lot less to go wrong with a solid state recorder.

Dave.

How exactly? The amount of hard drives I have had fail on me loosing alot of data far outweighs the number of times my minidisc has failed. Not having a go, just IMO minidiscs are more reliable and resillent than solid state recorder

Oh dear.

Solid state recorders have no moving parts, they are flash based so no HD.

IPods and players like them (the ones normally with more than 2gb storage) are HD based and i agree with you about HD failing but you need to realise the difference first before you post.

I would say that MD's are more like Floppy disk's although more robust but you only have to look at the threads on this forum to see that things do go wrong (as they can with any electrical device) but with SS you dont have anything to remove, nothing spinning round etc so they should be more reliable.

Dave.

People with iPods/HD players are just like sheep. They see someone else with one and have to conform.

Baaa.....

:P

and see my post above, im not talking about Ipods/HD players.

I guess you dont have any sort of portable music player then (or a tv, radio etc) as lots of people have them as well and you dont want to conform do you <_<