Damn AAC files!

Rate this topic

garyc

my bro sent me a disc full of these! How can I convert them to mp3? I want to add them to SS, but it doesn't recognise the format

AAC = Advanced Audio Codec, basically MPEG-4 audio. This is the format that iTunes prefers to use natively.

You can convert AAC files with dBPoweramp [in the downloads section], foobar2000, &c.

Suggestion: if you want to get those AAC tracks into SS, don't transcode them to MP3 [another generation loss] followed by converting them to atrac3plus [another generation loss]. Decode the AACs to WAV and then use SS to convert to your destination format, or use Windows Media Player [if it will play the AACs] to convert to WMA lossless [smaller files, no loss in quality] which SS can also convert from directly.

As I have never used WiMP for such, I can't give actual advice on how to do that. [i actually don't use WiMP at all.] Others here have done this and can probably lend you advice on the subject, though.