Visual Damage: MDR-SA1000

Rate this topic

Damage

MDR-SA1000, the entry phones in the acclaimed MDR-SA ("Super Audio" according to the box) line. Available for sub $150 ($99-$109 is the best price these days), they are quite possibly the best budget phones at any price.

post-2915-1140071040_thumb.jpg post-2915-1140071066_thumb.jpg

post-2915-1140071083_thumb.jpg post-2915-1140071104_thumb.jpg

post-2915-1140071124_thumb.jpg post-2915-1140071149_thumb.jpg

post-2915-1140071197_thumb.jpg

Enjoy.

Specifications (Lifted from Sony Style)

• Audio

• Sensitivity --- 100dB/mW

• Impedance --- 70 ohms at 1kHz

• Frequency Response --- 8-80,000Hz

• General

• Type --- Open air, dynamic

• Headphones --- Circum aural

• Headphones --- Urethane Texture type and Low Dispresion

• Driver Unit --- 50mm diameter, dome type

• Diaphragm ---HD

• Magnet --- Neodymium (360kJ/m3)

• Cord --- Single sided, 3.5m texture type cord (6N-OFC)

• Plug --- Straight stereo unimatch plug (gold) screw type

• Headband --- Wire frame with adjusting mechanism

• Power

• Power Handling Capacity --- 1,500mW (IEC)

Edited by richyhu
re-did attachments tags

fanboy...

with the 'screw' type plug, can you give us a direct shot? i assume it's a 1/8 inch [3.5mm] with a screw on 1/4 inch connector. lovely pics mate.

**late edit**

just looked at your custom user title

Kinda follows the XD line in that the XD-200 (2nd entry) and XD-400 (Top of the Line) are great, whereas the XD-300 isn't all that.

While I can see myself happy with the SA-1000 (and maybe making the upgrade to SA-5000 if the price is right), the Qualia 010's are probably the only phones that I'd really need to acquire at this point to complete my Sony Collection (Note: I've just obtained the E888SP, and I'm probably going to mod these).

That, and maybe the Qualia MD's and their EX buds. And the MDR-V9s. But those are another story altogether... And the F1s... Damn.

atrain: Yes, screw 1/8" plug. I'll snap a shot later today. And you can sort of see the screw plug in one of the shots, it's plugged directly into my NH1.

Finally, not so slur the good name of Ishii, but I think he and myself have tha accursed Sony Gene. :D

Edited by Damage

Welcome to the SA club Damage :D I think I'll recommend these to a few friends who are looking for high quality phones on a budget.

Re: Next Phones... I think I might try a phone from Sennheiser (HD650) or Beyerdynamic (DT880) all my phones have been Sony's. I feel like I'm cheating my ears by not trying some other brands :)

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the SA club Damage :D I think I'll recommend these to a few friends who are looking for high quality phones on a budget.

Re: Next Phones... I think I might try a phone from Sennheiser (HD650) or Beyerdynamic (DT880) all my phones have been Sony's. I feel like I'm cheating my ears by not trying some other brands :)

I'll second your recommendation. Just got my SA1000 and am currently breaking them in. A quick listen right from the box was amazingly good. I think it will become one of my favorites.

• 11 months later...

I'll second your recommendation. Just got my SA1000 and am currently breaking them in. A quick listen right from the box was amazingly good. I think it will become one of my favorites.

Can anyone say how the SA1000s would compare against the XD400s or something like the MDR-VJ700s?

peace

WaywardTraveller